VakAttack

Tom Ryan, anti-vaxxer?

A friend of mine is a doctor in Ohio and she says that she gets people who say this to her at least once a week.  She gets pretty heated sometimes because she's a pediatrician, so she hates having to waste her time arguing why vaccines are a good thing.  You know to prevent your child from dying of an easily preventable disease. 

How is it not a good look? It is his right to parent and do what he believes is best for his children and none of you can take that away from him. The problem is you all jump to judging him when NONE of you have done any real research on vaccines. You only know what your told which is what the real problem with the US today. Everyone is so quick to believe what they hear on the news or what the government tells them without doing a second of research. Let me tell you that the decision to not vaccinate my children was one of the most difficult decisions of my life but it was also one of the most informed decisions of my life. My wife and I did months and months of research before we came to the conclusion to not continue vaccinating our children.

How is it not a good look? It is his right to parent and do what he believes is best for his children and none of you can take that away from him. The problem is you all jump to judging him when NONE of you have done any real research on vaccines. You only know what your told which is what the real problem with the US today. Everyone is so quick to believe what they hear on the news or what the government tells them without doing a second of research. Let me tell you that the decision to not vaccinate my children was one of the most difficult decisions of my life but it was also one of the most informed decisions of my life. My wife and I did months and months of research before we came to the conclusion to not continue vaccinating our children.

Never mind, I'm convinced.

Never mind, I'm convinced.

I'm not here to convince anyone just do some real research with an open mind and if you feel that vaccines are what's best for your family then so be it. My beef is not with people that are pro vaccine it's with the uninformed that quickly jump all over anti-vaxxers. 

I am sure your months and months of research is more accurate than every single credible healthcare organization in the world recommending vaccinations. Edited by Housebuye

I'm currently in an allopathic (MD degree) medical school and am wondering what research you saw? We have professors who are currently researching vaccines to fight cancer and HIV. The morbidity of certain diseases which were once highly crippling are nearly gone due to vaccinations. You read a bunch of propaganda put out by people not actually doing science or who were scammed by the initial paper claiming a link between vaccinations and autism that was shown to be a complete lie and fabrication. You put your own children at risk and others at risk by making that decision. Maybe find an immunologist and talk to them. Have them explain the different types of vaccines and how vaccinations are a huge medical success. 

Edited by rhino184

I'm currently in an allopathic (MD degree) medical school and am wondering what research you saw? We have professors who are currently researching vaccines to fight cancer and HIV. The morbidity of certain diseases which were once highly crippling are nearly gone due to vaccinations. You read a bunch of propaganda put out by people not actually doing science or who were scammed by the initial paper claiming a link between vaccinations and autism that was shown to be a complete lie and fabrication. You put your own children at risk and others at risk by making that decision. Maybe find an immunologist and talk to them. Have them explain the different types of vaccines and how vaccinations are a huge medical success.

He did MONTHS of research though. He is probably right.

What does Tom Ryan's personal beliefs on not vaccinating (which by the way there are a lot of people in this camp) or that he believes in creation rather than evolution have anything to do with the job he does as a wrestling coach? I am sure that if you dug around deep enough (or maybe not so deep) you would find many coaches that believe in things that others don't.  Sure, he put his beliefs out there on twitter....so?

P.S. Myself and my family are all pro-vaccines.

Edited by Idaho

Its not just vaccines, its anyone who is as godly as he is scares the SH*T out of me. Sorry Flyover states, but religion is scary and has no place in today's world when it comes to dealing with important scientific issues.

This is my biggest beef with the republican party.They are so conservative and preach the consitution, but the first amendment freedom of religion, when all those nutjobs are screaming to be anti abortion, they are imposing their religous beliefs on others.

What does Tom Ryan's personal beliefs on not vaccinating (which by the way there are a lot of people in this camp) or that he believes in creation rather than evolution have anything to do with the job he does as a wrestling coach? I am sure that if you dug around deep enough (or maybe not so deep) you would find many coaches that believe in things that others don't.  Sure, he put his beliefs out there on twitter....so?

P.S. Myself and my family are all pro-vaccines.

Because I wouldn't send my children to wrestle for a Holocaust denier either.  I wouldn't want someone who embraces such an idea that is SO against any rational science/evidence is not someone I want responsible for my children.  My call, just like vaccination is your call and not vaccinating is reco's call.  Of course, my call doesn't endanger the lives of others around me, so....

It depends on the issue for me. Vaccines I am totally for. Evolution is a total lie in my opinion. I think some would agree with some of Tom's positions and some would disagree depending on the issue. Not all evangelical Christians like him believe the same on every issue. I disagree with him on vaccines and I disagree with Cael on his Mormonism but I would send my sons to wrestle for both of them! We need to chill a bit here.    

It depends on the issue for me. Vaccines I am totally for. Evolution is a total lie in my opinion. I think some would agree with some of Tom's positions and some would disagree depending on the issue. Not all evangelical Christians like him believe the same on every issue. I disagree with him on vaccines and I disagree with Cael on his Mormonism but I would send my sons to wrestle for both of them! We need to chill a bit here.    

We can show natural selection in a lab and there is plenty of scientific evidence. Look at DNA and genetic evidence now, the similarity of embryos, the vast fossil record and dating. Just look at something as simple as bacteria. Through processes like conjugation bacteria can transfer antibiotic resistance, which can then be propagated, which we've seen in society. It's pretty clear. That doesn't mean someone can't be religious and understand the concept, just don't act like it's a total farce, because it's clearly not.