GranbyTroll

Who will be the next Minnesota head coach?

The word on the street is that JRob is getting fired next week. Who do you guess, hope, or fear takes the helm?

Guess- Eggum. He's earned it

Hope- Mark Perry. Really smart guy who has earned a shot at running a top program

Fear- Doug Schwab. I want the Hawkeyes to get him back. He was clearly the key to their success in the last decade.

If Perry is so great then why does Illinois struggle to recruit their own state?  They've finished 4th, 5th, 6th, & 6th in the B1G since Perry arrived.

Count me in as someone who doesn't understand the Perry love.  Why not one of the assistants at the programs that consistently beat IL?  Regardless, i think he'd be a major step back from JRob. Eggum, Kish or Hahn would be better choices, IMO.

wufhvdgifpltczy.20070304040010_medium.jp

Credits: http://www.mmamania.com/2011/1/27/1960140/the-ultimate-fighter-tuf-13-introducing-team-brock-lesnar

Marty Morgan, is a very accomplished athlete himself. He's is a three-time All-American, two-time NCAA finalist and a national wrestling champion. He was the first athlete to go undefeated (39-0) for the University of Minnesota. This is not to mention his achievements outside of college. Morgan won two Greco-Roman national titles and placed twice in the National Freestyles. He participated on two World Championships teams and one World Cup team. Morgan finished third at the 1992 U.S. Olympic Trials and captured second at the 1996 Olympic Trials. He also placed twice in the National Freestyle Open.

His coaching career was also very successful. In the last nine seasons of his stay at Minnesota, Morgan assisted the Maroon and Gold to six Big Ten team titles, including three straight from 2001-03, nine consecutive top-two conference finishes and three NCAA titles. He spent 16 years as the head assistant and retired in late 2008 to become Brock Lesnar’s full time coach.

Edited by headshuck

If they go outside the program, what about someone like Mark Branch, who does well at Wyoming with very limited resources.

That might be a job that could even attract some of the top assistants away from the power programs,  Guerrerro, Cunningham come to mind.  Hahn has already been mentioned, 

Wyoming is a well funded and supported program.

This is one of the prime jobs in college wrestling and nearly every coach would want it if actually does open up.

Thanks, I had not heard that much about it.  Branch's salary is about 90K from what I can find.  Don't know how that fits in the grand scheme of things.  Glad to hear is is fully funded!