GranbyTroll

Who will be the next Minnesota head coach?

No one currently associated with the program should even be considered.

Mark Schultz or Pat Smith would be good choices.

Assuming that you're kidding about Schultz and Smith.  And not slamming the guy, but isn't Smith a convicted felon?  I'd guess that would be a pretty big hurdle to overcome if he wants to be a head D1 coach.

Edited by KCMO2

If Perry is so great then why does Illinois struggle to recruit their own state?  They've finished 4th, 5th, 6th, & 6th in the B1G since Perry arrived.

Count me in as someone who doesn't understand the Perry love.  Why not one of the assistants at the programs that consistently beat IL?  Regardless, i think he'd be a major step back from JRob. Eggum, Kish or Hahn would be better choices, IMO.

2012:Yep, I can't believe that Perry led Illinois to a 4th Place finish when PSU, Iowa, Minnesota and tOSU finished 1st,2nd,3rd and 5th at NCAA's that year.  Illinois finished 7th with 4 AA's(4th,6th, 7th and 8th).

2013:In similar fashion, PSU, Minnesota, Iowa and tOSU finished 1st,3rd, 4th and 6th at NCAA's.  Illinois finished 9th with 3 AA's(1st, 5th and 7th).

2014: Yet again PSU, Iowa, Minnesota and tOSU finished top 6 at NCAA's while Northwestern took 9th.  Illinois finished 13th with a NCAA Champ(Delgado).

2015:All 5 teams that finished ahead of them(tOSU, Iowa, PSU, Minnesota, Nebraska) placed top 10.  Illinois finished 12th with 2 AA's(1st and 4th).

2016:Finally, Illinois took 7th at B1G's finishing behind PSU, Iowa, tOSU, Nebraska, Rutgers and Michigan.  However, they would go on to finished ahead of Rutgers and tie Michigan taking 9th at NCAA's.  PSU, tOSU, Iowa, Nebraska finished 1,3,5 and 8.  Illinois had 3 AA's(1st, 4th and 5th).

It is a tad disingenuous to knock Perry for finishing behind Perennial powers like PSU, Iowa, Minnesota and tOSU.  This is especially true since he is only the Assistant Coach.

What IS pretty telling is that he has coached 4 NCAA Champs(they constantly credited Perry for getting them there) in 5 seasons and, of the 13 AA's he has coached in that 5 year timespan 8 of them where in the 157-174 range(his weight range).  Very few Assistant Coaches, not coaching a perennial power, could duplicate that output.

Finally, which Assistant is better, and more importantly available, from PSU, Iowa, tOSU or Nebraska?  Snyder maybe?  No one at Iowa is leaving.  I don't see Roselli leaving and would be shocked if Cunningham left PSU.  Perry is part of a very short list of up and coming assistants with the name recognition necessary to fit into Minnesota.  He may not be the best choice, but he is a pretty damn good one!

Parry and Hahn would both make great choices, and they are asst. coaches so this would give them a chance to make their own mark. 

Hahn is actually listed as "Associate Head Coach" at Cornell; gotta wonder if a long term plan for keeping him at Cornell has been discussed.  That, and with two kids, maybe staying put would be the smart play for Damion.

I know why you would want him to stay, but leaving to become Head Coach at your Alma Mater at a B1G program would be REALLY hard to turn down!

After what is being done by the University admin to J-Rob?  I'm not so sure...

After what is being done by the University admin to J-Rob?  I'm not so sure...

You do realize that what happened to JRob has nothing to do with Hahn? 

I trust you are also aware the Cornell basketball coach was fired this year and some people view what one of his players did as playing a part in his dismissal. Also that Cornell fired their Lacrosse coach a few years ago after a hazing incident. Crap happens everywhere. Your success or failure in life is 99% your own making and I'm sure Hahn knows that. 

Your success or failure in life is 99% your own making and I'm sure Hahn knows that. 

But if that's really the case, much of the reasons given why Hahn would even want to make a change are just as insignificant, right?

Bottom line for Hahn to accept an offer from U of M (assuming an offer is even given, because it still isn't even a foregone conclusion that there will even be a coaching change) will likely come down to... the bottom line.  I'm sure Hahn, or anyone, has a number that will make him say yes (or no, as the case may be) but will U of M make that offer?  I don't think that's a given here.  And I don't think Hahn is going to jump  just because it's his alma mater (he's spent more than twice as many years at Cornell now) or because it's a B1G program.

1.)Money

2.)Prestige

3.)Full Control

4.)Alma Mater

5.)Best Conference

Weigh those against current

1.)Money

2.)Familiarity

3.)Family setting

4.)Comfortability

5.)Ivy League

and 1b.)When will he get a shot to become a Head Coach and how bad does he want to be one?

I believe I have heard Cornell provides free tuition to employee dependents.  Does Minnesota?  That is a huge benefit if true, with Hahn having kids.  Could make that offer have to be a little larger...

This seems like a job, should it actually come open, that ought to go to someone with head coaching experience, unless they decide to give the job to Eggum, since it seems like he's been a sort of coach-in-waiting.

Kish, Russell, Branch, Bono... any of them would seem to have the right kind of experience.

I believe I have heard Cornell provides free tuition to employee dependents.  Does Minnesota?  That is a huge benefit if true, with Hahn having kids.  Could make that offer have to be a little larger...

If I am reading their website correctly, then no it is not free, just in state rates.

https://humanresources.umn.edu/benefits/tuition-benefits

Seems like something he could negotiate for in his contract. 

Edited by TBar1977

If I am reading their website correctly, then no it is not free, just in state rates.

https://humanresources.umn.edu/benefits/tuition-benefits

Seems like something he could negotiate for in his contract. 

I think that one is for the staff member.  But it directed me to this one and it still looks like just a partial.  I know OU just offered that as a benefit beginning this year, and OKST was considering-I hope they hurry, i have 2 kids getting closer and closer!

Cornell Children's Tuition Scholarship

Cornell established the Cornell Children's Tuition Scholarship (CCTS) program to assist employees' children in reaching their higher education goals. The CCTS program provides the children of eligible employees a partial scholarship for study at Cornell or other accredited institutions. CCTS is administered by the Division of Human Resources, Benefits Administration.

Almost every college gives free tuition to employee dependents. There may be a requirement for a certain number of years of service, but it is a very common benefit to college employment.

correct. One of my political science professors a few years ago mentioned this in class. He was deciding between accepting a position at central Michigan or another university and he said his deciding factor was that CMU had a better dependent tuition package. Some places it's 100% and others it's a percentage but it's at least breaks of some kind for staff members dependents. Edited by tec87

I wonder if Penn still offers free tuition? Some years ago, my brother had a friend with 5 kids.  He sought and obtained a job @ Penn for that reason.  Well over a million dollar bonus.

Did they have to meet the same academic requirements for enrollment as the at-large student population? Not being a wise guy here, but it's rather difficult to get admitted into Penn and the odds all 5 would get in are pretty low, heck the odds of getting one in is low under normal circumstances. 

Now Cornell, sure between the Ag school and Finger Lakes I could see that :-) 

Edited by Flying-Tiger