GranbyTroll

Who will be the next Minnesota head coach?

It is easier to get into any Ivy if your parent works at the school, similar to how it's easier to get in if several direct family members went there too. It's not like any PSU admit could gain admission, though, even if his entire family worked at an Ivy, but you do get a favorable look by admissions.

Now Cornell, sure between the Ag school and Finger Lakes I could see that :-) 

Worth mentioning - some of those Ag School grads go on (after highly successful wrestling careers) to do very well for themselves in their chosen careers - e.g., David Hirch, NCAA National Champion, now Dr. David Hirsch, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon.  Or Travis Lee, two time national champ, now a systems engineer in the biomedical field.  There is a great balance of athletics and academics at Cornell.

By the way - and I realize this veers way off topic, but hey, it's summertime - The New York Times recently published an article, "A Lone Bullet's Toll", documenting some of the work being done by David Hirsch - you can find it here, it's a little long, but a great read: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/25/magazine/a-lone-bullets-long-toll.html?_r=0

We tend to spend too much time, IMO, posting about some of the negatives in the news - but this is a great example of a former wrestler doing some really positive things.

Enjoy!!

Edited by redblades

Did they have to meet the same academic requirements for enrollment as the at-large student population? Not being a wise guy here, but it's rather difficult to get admitted into Penn and the odds all 5 would get in are pretty low, heck the odds of getting one in is low under normal circumstances. 

That is what I was told.  I doubt there is a big preference for faculty and staff, as that could be a significant number.

Did they have to meet the same academic requirements for enrollment as the at-large student population? Not being a wise guy here, but it's rather difficult to get admitted into Penn and the odds all 5 would get in are pretty low, heck the odds of getting one in is low under normal circumstances. 

Yes, a high school applicant still must apply to PENN and qualify on an academic basis. The school accepts their application on the same basis as any other applicant. Then the parent/employee submits the tuition bill (room and board are not covered at PENN)  to HR for payment. 

Are you sure Travis Lee was enrolled in the Ag School?  They do have other colleges at Cornell.

Graduated with a B.S. in Biological and Environmental Engineering - that would be College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. ( Link: https://bee.cals.cornell.edu/research/biological-engineering) He also has a masters degree in Engineering from Cornell, presumably that was from the College of Engineering.

I am actually less certain about David Hirsh - there is no specific "Pre-Med" degree program at Cornell, but a large percentage of those intending to apply to med school do go through CALS, and they provide the applicable pre-professional coursework through a number of degree programs.

Edited by redblades

That is what I was told.  I doubt there is a big preference for faculty and staff, as that could be a significant number.

PENN employs tens of thousands of people. If they admitted everyone's children they'd have no room for anyone else. From my experience the student applicant has to qualify on a purely academic basis. 

No one currently associated with the program should even be considered.

Mark Schultz or Pat Smith would be good choices.

Maybe a coach who is not from the Dan Gable stable this time around?

Is Pat Smith eligible to become a D1 head coach?

Who has actually seen the supposed email from J's daughter saying he will be fired? Not what was posted on The Guillotine; the actual email. The "email" says he will likely be fired this week. This seems weird. Your boss doesn't tell you he is going to fire you. He just fires you.

Who has actually seen the supposed email from J's daughter saying he will be fired? Not what was posted on The Guillotine; the actual email. The "email" says he will likely be fired this week. This seems weird. Your boss doesn't tell you he is going to fire you. He just fires you.

I'm guessing JRob was given a date to resign by and if he didn't, then he would be terminated. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Moreover, is J's daughter really dumb enough to post such a letter on an Internet forum? After the fact, sure. But a week before the alleged D day??

Dumb, really? Did you read the complete e-mail, she's trying to rally support for her father before the termination date. I may not be the biggest JRob fan but I can appreciate how she's trying to help her dad. Think she's being a good daughter.  

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Not only dumb, but also futile. If it is indeed her and JRob is indeed done this week, fans have no shot of reinstating him. An administrative decision like that has nothing to do with the fans' hopes or wishes. What exactly is she trying to accomplish in seven days that she couldn't accomplish just as well after the fact? Nothing.

"University of Minnesota wrestling coach J Robinson told police investigators in April that he had "fully taken care of" his team's drug problem and refused to turn over the names of student-athletes involved and documents in his possession, according to a search warrant affidavit obtained Tuesday by the Star Tribune."

I like this guy more and more.