GranbyTroll

Who will be the next Minnesota head coach?

I understand his actions in a fatherly sort of way, but this isnt the 1950's. He cant tell the investigators to back off because he is in control of things.

No write in campaign is going to save his job. He can still have an impact thru his camps.

He told university police, not the investigators. You wonder how many D1 coaches get away with telling university police to "back off, I've got this..."

None that get caught doing so and remain head coach.

The article uses the phrase "self policed". Pretty good description when you and you alone start making up your own rules. He is no expert on illegal prescription drug sales, and he should not be appointing himself to police it.

Not a shock he is being terminated.

"University of Minnesota wrestling coach J Robinson told police investigators in April that he had "fully taken care of" his team's drug problem and refused to turn over the names of student-athletes involved and documents in his possession, according to a search warrant affidavit obtained Tuesday by the Star Tribune."

I like this guy more and more.   

I agree. To me this guy has done everything to handle things at the lowest level possible while also assuring punishment was doled out. I can't fault him for that one bit. 

He is the one eating all this because he wanted to protect his kids, again, I can't fault him for that. Should he be held accountable for the actions off the mat by a few screwballs? I personally don't think he should unless he had direct association to criminal activity. To me it looks like the guy did his best to help a few young screwballs who ended up backstabbing and destroying his career. If he is guilty of anything it is trying to help some people that could not be helped. Again, I can't fault the guy for trying to keep it contained and trying to assure a few young men had the opportunity to fix their stupidity. Unfortunately they didn't and he suffers for it. 

Edited by cm_111

You're kidding yourself if you think his actions were all about looking out for "his kids". The program is down and the last thing he could afford was a drug scandal and the loss of multiple wrestlers. If you don't think that was a factor you are very naive. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I agree. To me this guy has done everything to handle things at the lowest level possible while also assuring punishment was doled out. I can't fault him for that one bit.

He is the one eating all this because he wanted to protect his kids, again, I can't fault him for that. Should he be held accountable for the actions off the mat by a few screwballs? I personally don't think he should unless he had direct association to criminal activity. To me it looks like the guy did his best to help a few young screwballs who ended up backstabbing and destroying his career. If he is guilty of anything it is trying to help some people that could not be helped. Again, I can't fault the guy for trying to keep it contained and trying to assure a few young men had the opportunity to fix their stupidity. Unfortunately they didn't and he suffers for it.

I dont know his true motivations, but he is guilty of more than "trying to help some people that could not be helped".

Thousands die each year from abusing Xanax with alchohol. JRob's (his lawyer is just as bad) attempt to downplay this and even self police it needed to be dealt with.

Seeing everything that came to light from JRob's side, it also would not shock me if it came out that there was a lot of pre existing tension between J and the athletic dept.

I dont know his true motivations, but he is guilty of more than "trying to help some people that could not be helped".

Thousands die each year from abusing Xanax with alchohol. JRob's (his lawyer is just as bad) attempt to downplay this and even self police it needed to be dealt with.

Seeing everything that came to light from JRob's side, it also would not shock me if it came out that there was a lot of pre existing tension between J and the athletic dept.

Very serious indeed mixing alcohol and Xanax. Even more praise to JRob is due if he was able to stop it ..something our legal and bylaw enforcement has failed miserably at doing. More praise due for keeping his word and not rolling on his wrestlers to campus cops.

It sure could not be the same motivation that Penn state coaching staff used in allowing their drunks to compete on their way to a national championshipn after a slap on the wrist (how many people have been killed in DUI incidents?).

When/if I read that he was aware of illegal activity I would definitely change my opinion quicker than shiz out of a goose but as it stands it's just speculation from our part that he had direct knowledge that was going on. I just don't think a Coach should be directly responsible for what goes on outside of his arena and especially when it comes to drugs. Perhaps my own experience of dealing with those people has made me apathetic to them but I have seen first hand how sneaky, manipulative and overly good at keeping things out of eyes reach they can be. As far as we know there could have been a valid prescription which tied his hands. Drug abusers and those types are incredibly good at keeping their dysfunctions out of the eyeline of people so, after reading what we currently know, I just am not ready to throw the book at the guy as of yet. It could very well be that they went in, showed him legally obtained script bottles (since those are handed out like candy) and his hands were tied due to that. 

It just feels like something is missing in terms of a big piece of information. 

Edited by cm_111

When/if I read that he was aware of illegal activity I would definitely change my opinion quicker than shiz out of a goose but as it stands it's just speculation from our part that he had direct knowledge that was going on.

I just don't think a Coach should be directly responsible for what goes on outside of his arena and especially when it comes to drugs. Perhaps my own experience of dealing with those people has made me apathetic to them but I have seen first hand how sneaky, manipulative and overly good at keeping things out of eyes reach they can be. As far as we know there could have been a valid prescription which tied his hands. Drug abusers and those types are incredibly good at keeping their dysfunctions out of the eyeline of people so, after reading what we currently know, I just am not ready to throw the book at the guy as of yet. It could very well be that they went in, showed him legally obtained script bottles (since those are handed out like candy) and his hands were tied due to that. 

It just feels like something is missing in terms of a big piece of information. 

Seriously? His lawyer basically acknowledged he knew. "it's not dealing in the strictest sense of the word" is still dealing.  You can also infer J Rob knew it was dealing because he does not deny the claim that he created a piece of paper asking who was dealing, and that this yielded 4 checked boxes for dealing. His lawyer loves to talk, but he hasn't denied that aspect of the story at all. It is reasonable to conclude that J Rob knew it was dealing. 

The guy messed up. He tried to self police something he should not have been self policing. J Rob isn't being held accountable because he had wrestlers who sold drugs, he is being held accountable for his own actions. He wouldn't cooperate with the police. His own actions are what he is being held accountable for. 

Edited by TBar1977

Seriously? His lawyer basically acknowledged he knew. "it's not dealing in the strictest sense of the word" is still dealing.  

The guy messed up. He tried to self police something he should not have been self policing. J Rob isn't being held accountable because he had wrestlers who sold drugs, he is being held accountable for his own actions. He wouldn't cooperate with the police. His own actions are what he is being held accountable for. 

Well apparently I need to go back and read up on this again because I have yet to see any acknowledgement but if that is the case then, yeah, he should be held accountable absolutely. 

Well apparently I need to go back and read up on this again because I have yet to see any acknowledgement but if that is the case then, yeah, he should be held accountable absolutely. 

Read the Star Trib article. The way I read the article there is an affidavit from the police interview with J Rob. The Star Trib has possession of a copy of that affidavit. Pretty reasonable to presume that UofM also has seen it. Reading the article either there is a massive conspiracy against J Rob or J Rob tried to self police something he shouldn't have. When you add it all up, I would be totally shocked if they did not let him go.  

The writer did a great job of laying it all out. 

http://m.startribune.com/j-robinson-told-police-he-d-taken-care-of-gophers-drug-problem-affidavit-states/384767541/

Read the Star Trib article. The way I read the article there is an affidavit from the police interview with J Rob. The Star Trib has possession of a copy of that affidavit. Pretty reasonable to presume that UofM also has seen it. Reading the article either there is a massive conspiracy against J Rob or J Rob tried to self police something he shouldn't have. When you add it all up, I would be totally shocked if they did not let him go.  

The writer did a great job of laying it all out. 

http://m.startribune.com/j-robinson-told-police-he-d-taken-care-of-gophers-drug-problem-affidavit-states/384767541/

Just read it. I am so torn on it. If there were over 2000 pills then someone needs to go down, no doubt about that because that is undoubtedly dealing and not some small amount passed between buddies. 

The only reason I am torn is because I just imagine (speculation in totality) that this guy wanted to handle the issue at the lowest level possible and prevent the kids from going to jail and losing their life (basically). Better stated, I couldn't care less about the dingbats and would throw them to the wolves in a heartbeat for their stupidity but when it comes to a Coach trying to shield his guys from losing themselves over such an issue I am just so torn. On one hand I think to myself that he wasn't aiding the UPD (university police) and on the other hand I think to myself that he should have just, as I stated, thrown them to the wolves and said "FU" for putting him in such a position. 

At the end of the day it is those adult men who should pay for this issue that they brought down on others. Their actions caused a lot of turmoil and will very likely set the MN program back years as well. I do actually believe JRob should have been let go since you just can't do what he did but I truly hope nothing criminal is filed against him. Do I believe he tried to shield it to make sure his program kept looking good? I just don't know. I only met him one time and it was a hello and goodbye at a legacy event from the Big Ten. I just think back to my days in the military when the old saying was "handle issues at the lowest level possible". So on one hand I question if he, being an old school dude, was just trying to do that or, as someone else suggested, he was doing it to cover his own butt and the programs. Without actually knowing everything and especially without knowing JRob personally I just am not qualified to even remotely have an opinion on that. 

One thing I do have an opinion on though and I am 100% sure about is those knuckleheads dishonored themselves, their friends, those who put trust in them to do the right thing and they should bare the absolute totality of any punishment that comes down. They are adults, made adult decisions and should be focused on for that. In other words, I hope JRob doesn't face some criminal prosecution due to the actions of those guys unless there is actual evidence which shows he was aware of and looked the other way about drug sales/use. 

I am really so sick and tired of these drug addict scumbags blaming others for their actions in society now a days. They need the hammer dropped on them. 

cm, great post because you weighed the issues against one another. You are showing some balance there.

I don't think you have to worry about J Rob being prosecuted. Maybe not even the kids will be prosecuted since I think I read somewhere that no charges are being filed. I could be wrong about that though. What the police know or understand to be true, and what can be proven in court, are often two different things. So possibility nobody faces charges. 

The elephant in the room with regards to J Rob's actions is this. If you are a parent of one of these kids you probably love the fact he stuck his neck out to protect their child. But if you are the parent of a child who dies from mixing Xanax with other things then you think otherwise. What if the next kid to wrestle for UofM sells a dose of Xanax only intending to help someone enjoy a high, but that kid dies and it all comes back to the first slap on the wrist type punishment doled out in the name of protecting a young guy's future. It is a balancing test. 

There's another issue here to consider. I can't judge because I don't know the whole story by any means and have too much respect for J to do so anyway.

It seems they knew about the issue before NCAAs and waited until after.

Obviously, a busy time for them and perhaps that's all there is to it but it doesn't look good.

There's another issue here to consider. I can't judge because I don't know the whole story by any means and have too much respect for J to do so anyway.

Obviously, a busy time for them and perhaps that's all there is to it but it doesn't look good.

I didn't want to cloud the issue, but you bring up another point that weighs against. 

There are a LOT of questions relating to timing, and what was known when, and who was informed of what; it seems it has been indicated that J-Rob notified administration at least about suspicions of drug use prior to NCAA's, but how long it took before he received response or direction as to how to proceed is not clear, IMO. From that point on, as far as I've seen, there is no clear sequence of events that has been revealed.

I agree with Gimp that I can't judge because we still don't know the whole story.

Not sure if it is in the public domain and don't know why they did not publish it.

my point being ...there was an affadavit ..

The newspapers only picked out a couple items that seemed to favor their agenda, then went back to the same old recycled anonymous stuff.

The only things new I saw was the three boxes the wrestlers had to choose from when they "confessed" (as the newspaper said) and that J Rob took a vacation. All the rest is old news as far as I'm concerned. I guess when JRob told the campus cop to go pound salt was new, but I figured he said that anyways.