Sign in to follow this  
AnklePicker

Olympians Fargo

Dennis: Competed

Molinaro: NO

Burroughs: NO

Cox: Junior Champ

Snyder: Junior Champ (Greco); Cadet FS Champ. 

Dlagnev: Not certain, texted him to see if he did.

Thielke: 2x Cadet Champ, didn't wrestle junior because he was on 4 Junior World Teams

Bisek: 7th once in Greco

Provisor: Cadet Champ, Junior 3rd

Smith: Junior Champ

Augello: 2x Junior Champ

Maroulis: 2x Junior Champ

Pirozhkova: 3x All-American

Gray: 3x Junior Champ

Edited by JasonBryant

Dennis: Competed

Molinaro: NO

Burroughs: NO

Cox: Junior Champ

Snyder: Junior Champ (Greco); Cadet FS Champ. 

Dlagnev: Not certain, texted him to see if he did.

Thielke: 2x Cadet Champ, didn't wrestle junior because he was on 4 Junior World Teams

Bisek: 7th once in Greco

Provisor: Cadet Champ, Junior 3rd

Smith: Junior Champ

Augello: 2x Junior Champ

Maroulis: 2x Junior Champ

Pirozhkova: 3x All-American

Gray: 3x Junior Champ

Why would somebody as accomplished as Molinaro in high school not go to Fargo? In fact, why are so many of the top wrestlers in the country not attending Fargo? I don't seem to remember Suriano going, Nevils, etc.. Just wondering.

Why would somebody as accomplished as Molinaro in high school not go to Fargo? In fact, why are so many of the top wrestlers in the country not attending Fargo? I don't seem to remember Suriano going, Nevils, etc.. Just wondering.

Different approaches to training, cost, other commitments, etc.  Just for the kids I've coached and know that would have been competitive in Fargo.

It's not cheap to fly across the country, and stay for a while, for a wrestling tourney.  Especially if you're in an area that has built in quality competition.  From OH to NY, you can drive an hour in any direction and find quality clubs and tourneys to challenge yourself.

Some guys didn't do the freestyle until they get into college. Burroughs wrestled some freestyle, but the way I understand it, didn't have all the financial means to go. 

I don't know about the statement about "so many" considering if you look at the Division I stats of All-Americans and their participation in Fargo (or where it used to be) 74.83% of D1 AA's competed in Fargo during their HS career (2006-2015).

If you go back to 1994, 63.22% of D1 All-Americans placed in Fargo (or wherever it was prior).

Champs-wise, from 1994-2015, 79.57% of the NCAA champions from 1994-2015 were Fargo place winners.

With records not online prior to 2006, I started tracking the participation vs. All-American numbers for those who competed, placed, didn't compete or were ineligible (foreign athletes). That's where these percentages come from. 

Edited by JasonBryant

you have to consider that many high school kids are scared of wrestling free and absolutely mortified of greco... lots of their coaches are scared to death as well... some actively dissuade them from participating...

that fear is born of ignorance... they try one season... take some losses to some kids they wreck in the meathead style... and decide they "don't like" free/greco when the actual reason is they are too scared to take losses and and better themselves in the real styles of wrestling...

it is shameful...

you have to consider that many high school kids are scared of wrestling free and absolutely mortified of greco... lots of their coaches are scared to death as well... some actively dissuade them from participating...

that fear is born of ignorance... they try one season... take some losses to some kids they wreck in the meathead style... and decide they "don't like" free/greco when the actual reason is they are too scared to take losses and and better themselves in the real styles of wrestling...

it is shameful...

Can you cite any examples?  I'd guess less than 1% of American HS wrestlers ever wrestle a single greco match.  It's because they're scared?  

Talk about ignorance, lol.

come on jersey, give it up... you know your made up number is just that... you are incredibly ignorant of anything greco and are scared to death of anything outside of your norm...

look outside every once in a while... 

BTW, i do like the chik move of blocking the PM's yet sending them out... nice

Can you cite any examples?  I'd guess less than 1% of American HS wrestlers ever wrestle a single greco match.  It's because they're scared?  

Talk about ignorance, lol.

Well, in 2014-15, the NFHS published there were 258,208 male H.S. wrestlers. 

There were 1,808 Greco-Roman entries in Fargo with athletes of H.S. age (Cadet & Junior).  Fargo itself accounts for 7/10ths of that 1% you're guessing. We know by simple numbers that not every wrestler who competes in a state qualifying tournament to go to Cadet & Junior Nationals actually goes, so if you simply doubled the entries, you'd eclipse the one percent pretty easily. 

Less than 1% of American H.S. wrestlers actually competed in Greco in Fargo last year. The number who wrestled at the state level to try to qualify would easily push that number well over 1%. 

don't try to use actual real live facts and numbers with a zealot... their minds are already made up and they refuse to seek any further knowledge once they have arrived at whatever conclusion they want to...

"Typical New Jersey"

Different approaches to training, cost, other commitments, etc.  Just for the kids I've coached and know that would have been competitive in Fargo.

It's not cheap to fly across the country, and stay for a while, for a wrestling tourney.  Especially if you're in an area that has built in quality competition.  From OH to NY, you can drive an hour in any direction and find quality clubs and tourneys to challenge yourself.

there is no high school tournament that will challenge a high school wrestler more than fargo. the wrestlers that go both styles face the greatest test a high school wrestler can face. anything thing else they do pales in comparison.

if your style is based on stalling out the first period on your feet, getting an escape point, and then riding tough on top and hoping for a 1-0 win, fargo is not the place for you...

DF?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk