Sign in to follow this  
vaisforlovers

Handshakes

It's a unique part of the sport, and I think it's cool...but..

Before the dual during introductions

When the match starts

When the match ends

After the dual

Is this all really necessary?

Not to mention the fact that many wrestlers shake opposing coaches hand after every match.

Does anyone know the exact origins of the reasoning behind so many handshakes? Is there any other sport where handshakes happen so much?

I remember this topic from before. I like the sportsmanship, but most times it isn't even a real handshake.

I think one time after the match or in a dual the whole team could go like in other sports.

I've mentioned this before. Our coach was pretty clear that after each match we don't shake the coaches hand until all the matches are over. Other coaches knew this, many practiced this as well, no one disagreed. Handshakes would happen, but overall, it saved time and no one went home with hurt feelings.

I only shook the other coaches hand right after the match if I lost. Kinda seemed disrespectful if I just beat your wrestlers tail and now I wanna handshake.

The one thing that drove me nuts in high school were the kids who wanted to hug....especially if it wasn't even a close match.

State finals...maybe a little different. Never made it there do wouldn't know.

Shake hands............cross over within the circle. Then face your opponent as the ref says "ready" -- then ref blows whistle to start the action.

It's before my time. I understand that the bouts used to be started that way? When did they stop doing that ? I wonder,did any wrestler ever trip and fall during that slick cross over ?

I personally feel that we don't have enough downtime in wrestling matches like we do in football. I mean I think that a wrestler who is down 14-0 ought to be able to take a few seconds to dance around and do the lambada when he scores an escape to make it 14-1. After all we see it in the NFL all the time. Fourth quarter and it's 55-0, the losing team will score a touch down and the guy who scored will do a series of cartwheels and back flips as two of his teammates do the macarena in their 55-7 loss.

Yeah, that's what we need.

So very sorry that I didn't scour the usawrestlingnation archives to make sure this topic wouldn't be redundant.

May God have mercy on my soul.

Vais, I posted the link above, to a previous thread on this subject, only so you (or anyone else) could read through it if interested.....not to proclaim redundancy. I could care less if someone creates a thread that has already been talked about. 1300 people clicked on this thread, so they must still be interested. No need for the sincere apology.