Sign in to follow this  
rjs

Boise State Assistant(s)?

I read that Taylor Meeks is headed back to Oregon State to join their staff...any word/insights on Coach Mendoza's plans for assistant coach(es) in Boise?

Thanks

Hope they give Mendoza enough time to rebuild. His hire was made very late and he has no incoming recruiting class and it sounds like his good wrestlers are leaving the team. Tough situation and I hope they treat him fairly. Meanwhile, his old team at CSUB has a very talented roster plus an extremely solid incoming recruiting class including a CA state champ and numerous top 3 CA state placers.

Geo left for Oky state, I'm pretty sure he'll need to sit out this year but he hasn't used his redshirt yet anyway. I don't know how Mendoza has been given much of a chance when the job was only offered as a one year contract. He speaks in pretty positive terms about the AD so maybe he's been given a carrot that the general public doesn't know about. I will say that from what I've heard if he fails they won't bring in another coach, they'll drop the program. What that tells me and all the other BSU guys is that we better help out this year or our program is done. On a personal note I'd sure like to see him add Owens to the staff again. That is if he's allowed.

I think if Owens was still there, Martinez would be also.  

I hope they can get it going again, that area has provided a lot of good wrestlers through the years to the BSU program and others.  Hate to see any opportunities go away.

This program has been a dumpster fire for the last several years. There was a lot going on behind the scenes between Randall & Owens. Owens was hamstrung and not given the reign to run the program while Randall did absolutely nothing a head coach should be doing to rally support and fundraising.  The kids all saw it, but out of respect they did not say anything. (BSU has some of the finest young men in ANY program) At some point Owens throws up his arms and gives up. He was not allowed to recruit like he wanted and even though (IMHO) he was responsible for developing the talent that they had, was not allowed to travel with the team on many trips. I doubt that Owens would even consider coming back to work under Mendoza. He should have been considered for the HC replacement in the first place. He would have brought a whole new level of energy and passion to the program. And do you think there is any coincidence that Geo ends up at OSU?  I think not.

Any updates on this front?  I've been perusing message boards and the BSU Facebook and Twitter pages and haven't seen any news about new assistants.  In Coach Mendoza's interview with JB, he mentioned that he was hoping to get Hochstrasser ... but I haven't seen any confirmation.

Headbanger & UphillBronco - you guys seem to have some extra insights as to what's going on with the team.  Any news?