TBar1977

Mejia and J Rent both de-commit from Iowa

I don't now that there's anything wrong, they're just not one of the more academically challenging universities.     My understanding is Mejia wants to push himself in the classroom.   Surely Mejia can do a little better than Iowa for his academics.

Seems you are correct if one uses the US News and World Report's latest ranking of national universities. Here's how the 14 Big Ten wrestling schools stack up: (US News and World Report's rankings in parenthesis)

1. Northwestern (12)

2. Michigan (29)

3. Illinois (41-T)

3. Wisconsin (41-T)

5. Penn State (47)

6. Ohio State (52)

7. Maryland (57)

8. Purdue (61)

9. Minnesota (69)

10. Michigan State (75-T)

10. Indiana (75-T)

12. Iowa (82)

13. Nebraska (103)

14. Rutgers (140)

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

With so much access to information and real time communication available (twitter, internet) I expect a trend we see is a pursuit for higher education, by more of our elite HS athletes.   It used to be shocking to me when Harvard would get a blue chipper.  Or when another Ivy leaguer would land a big stud over Iowa or some of the other traditional wrestling powers.    Again, nothing wrong with Iowa, not picking on them, it's just that there's some much "good" elsewhere, academically.   I was shocked to learn Lee had any interest at all in Iowa, but then I was told his GF attends Iowa and that was a huge factor.   I've seen that play out many times, so it made a lot of sense.   Lets just hope she ' doesn't loose interest in the little fella, and start dating the center on the basket ball team.    

Look what Cornell has done, Penn State, Michigan, and other top notch academic institutions. They've put good teams together (some might say great) and offer world class education.     I believe the day of the dumb jock going anywhere in order to excel in his sport are largely leaving us and being replaced by the smart jock, who wants a balance of top notch athletics and top notch education.    

Imagine a day where the NCAA top scores are

1. Penn State

2. Arizona St

3 Cornell

4 Stanford

5 Michigan

6 Harvard

7 OSU

8 OSU

9 Iowa

10 LSU

Iowa's academics are not that far behind PSU's that you should call PSU out as a counterexample. As far as public state schools go, it is one of the better ones with significant funding, and it's not just about the school, anyway, but also about the major.

And Arizona State on a post about academics? I love the Sun Devils and just might do college at ASU if I had to do it over again because it is such a fun school with a ridiculous amount of hot girls, but academic powerhouse it is absolutely not.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

It depends 100% on what you want to do in life.  If you want to teach/coach then anything over an average university is wasted money/debt.  If you want to be an engineer then you might consider an obscure place like School of Mines in CO (but obviously not if you wanted a liberal arts degree, and vice versa).  The point is that education is far more about major and career goals then it is about overall ranking of a university.

I don't now that there's anything wrong, they're just not one of the more academically challenging universities.     My understanding is Mejia wants to push himself in the classroom.   Surely Mejia can do a little better than Iowa for his academics.   

This is why I liked McKenna going to Stanford or Matthew Kolodzik to Princeton.  Get top-tier educations and wrestle as well.

And Arizona State on a post about academics? I love the Sun Devils and just might do college at ASU if I had to do it over again because it is such a fun school with a ridiculous amount of hot girls, but academic powerhouse it is absolutely not.

Depends what you are looking at. ASU Barrett Honors College is extremely highly rated.  General population ASU, not so much. Barrett is the number 2 honors college in this country.  Any athlete that can get in Barrett on scholarship would be getting an extremely valuable degree.  

Iowa's academics are not that far behind PSU's that you should call PSU out as a counterexample. As far as public state schools go, it is one of the better ones with significant funding, and it's not just about the school, anyway, but also about the major.

Every school has some great programs and some "also ran" programs.  NW has a great journalism school.. PSU agriculture.....Iowa has their programs.....nearly every school has some kind of solid program.

Not sure about Stillwater, but who cares, best damn steak restaurants in America in Stillwater, Norman, and Oklahoma city and I love steak!

Every school has some great programs and some "also ran" programs.  NW has a great journalism school.. PSU agriculture.....Iowa has their programs.....nearly every school has some kind of solid program.

Not sure about Stillwater, but who cares, best damn steak restaurants in America in Stillwater, Norman, and Oklahoma city and I love steak!

Allow me to add, that anyone who has ever attended either the University of Arizona, or Arizona State University, does not give a flying fluck about anything having to do with academics:  Those two schools, are basically a training ground for the most beautiful actresses, models, pin up girls, and generally incredible women, in America.  

The ol' tag team of Iowa bashers - hurricane and cletus are in fine form, doing what they do best.

It refreshes my memory of what is so undesirable about this board. These two seem to live to bash all things related to Iowa wrestling. I'm not going to waste time responding to these two, but I will say, just for the record,  the Univ of Iowa has excellent academics. Depending on the ranking criteria and who's doing it, a school may do better or worse, and it changes yearly. Forbes put PSU at #164, for example.

I think all of the Big Ten schools rank fairly well nationally. A little context is needed. USNews ranks Iowa as #82 in 2016, but that's out of 2,474 four-year US universities, which would put it in the top 4% of all universities. The very top schools tend to be private (the ivys, Stanford, Northwestern, etc.), but for public universities, Iowa ranked #34 out of 629.

Depending on the field of interest, Iowa can rank very highly. The Writers' Workshop is nationally renowned, and has included many successful authors and Pulitzer prize winners, including  WP Kinsella, Jane Smiley, Robert Bly, Wallace Stegner, John Irving, Phillip Roth.among others. Some rate it the best in the country.

It has excellent graduate programs, including:

#1 ranked Speech Language Pathology

#2 ranked Physician Assistant program

#2 ranked audiology

#3 ranked nursing admin

#6 ranked physical therapy

#12 ranked family medicine

#17 ranked pharmacy school

#20 law school

#25 medical school (primary care) and within the med school specialties are #7 ranked ophthalmology, #8 ranked ENT, #17 ranked orthopedics and other subspecialties in the top 25. 

Spencer Lee commented on negative crap that was written about the coaches and wrestlers on forums, that he found to be untrue. By looking and thinking for himself, he came to a far different opinion. I would encourage any high school wrestler who reads this board, to not take things at face value, and look deeper. When ol' cletus or hurricane post on this forum about Iowa, remember, there is an agenda to tear it down. They wallow in garbage.

The ol' tag team of Iowa bashers - hurricane and cletus are in fine form, doing what they do best.

It refreshes my memory of what is so undesirable about this board. These two seem to live to bash all things related to Iowa wrestling. I'm not going to waste time responding to these two, but I will say, just for the record,  the Univ of Iowa has excellent academics. Depending on the ranking criteria and who's doing it, a school may do better or worse, and it changes yearly. Forbes put PSU at #164, for example.

I think all of the Big Ten schools rank fairly well nationally. A little context is needed. USNews ranks Iowa as #82 in 2016, but that's out of 2,474 four-year US universities, which would put it in the top 4% of all universities. The very top schools tend to be private (the ivys, Stanford, Northwestern, etc.), but for public universities, Iowa ranked #34 out of 629.

If you are going to compare the two schools then a direct comp would be helpful.

Penn State = #164 @ Forbes

Iowa = #184 @ Forbes.

Allow me to add, that anyone who has ever attended either the University of Arizona, or Arizona State University, does not give a flying fluck about anything having to do with academics:  Those two schools, are basically a training ground for the most beautiful actresses, models, pin up girls, and generally incredible women, in America.  

I'm not sure if you're trolling but Northwestern isn't exactly a university with a great Journalism school standing out among a slew of "also ran" programs.

Also I agree with the general sentiment regarding academics at Arizona State, but the University of Arizona is an AAU member institution which is somewhat of a prestigious distinction. FWIW, nearly all B10 schools are AAU members.

I stand by what I said. The schools are not so far apart that one can be used as a standard over another. Princeton, sure. PSU over Iowa, not so much.

Oh, I agree. But the way rossel laid his post out was ridiculous. Using one barometer that places PSU at 164 while using a totally different measuring stick to place Iowa at 82. 

I couldn't care less about which ranking service one likes or uses, but if you are going to start making comps then make fair ones. 

Depending on the field of interest, Iowa can rank very highly. The Writers' Workshop is nationally renowned, and has included many successful authors and Pulitzer prize winners, including  WP Kinsella, Jane Smiley, Robert Bly, Wallace Stegner, John Irving, Phillip Roth.among others. Some rate it the best in the country.

It has excellent graduate programs, including:

#1 ranked Speech Language Pathology

#2 ranked Physician Assistant program

#2 ranked audiology

#3 ranked nursing admin

#6 ranked physical therapy

#12 ranked family medicine

#17 ranked pharmacy school

#20 law school

#25 medical school (primary care) and within the med school specialties are #7 ranked ophthalmology, #8 ranked ENT, #17 ranked orthopedics and other subspecialties in the top 25. 

Spencer Lee commented on negative crap that was written about the coaches and wrestlers on forums, that he found to be untrue. By looking and thinking for himself, he came to a far different opinion. I would encourage any high school wrestler who reads this board, to not take things at face value, and look deeper. When ol' cletus or hurricane post on this forum about Iowa, remember, there is an agenda to tear it down. They wallow in garbage.

Relax, Rosie. I don't think anyone is tearing Iowa down. As I understood Cletus' point, he was just indicating he was pleased to see wrestlers go to schools like Princeton, Cornell, Michigan, Harvard, Stanford, Northwestern, etc. As you may note, he mentioned several of the foregoing as being considered more academically challenging than Iowa (from which the discussed wrestlers had just decommitted).

The above simply reflects the generally recognized opinion among the public of the various schools discussed. It doesn't mean that Iowa isn't a good university, just that there are others that are ranked higher. (Nor do those rankings preclude the notion that Iowa may have some select programs that are highly regarded. We were just talking about the overall academic reputations of various programs in general.)

At any rate, all I did was post a list of how the Big 10 wrestling schools rank according to US News and World Report. If you have a problem with that info, perhaps you should take up your complaint with that publication.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling