Eagle26

Adeline Gray

http://espn.go.com/espnw/sports/article/16743501/wrestler-adeline-gray-talks-role-models-wrestling-national-exposure-espn-body-issue

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed yet. I am usually all for wrestling coverage, but I am not sure this is what is best for women's wrestling. I don't blame Gray. I just think it is a little tacky by ESPN. I agree with her quote, "I'm a three-time champion and should, in my eyes, be kind of all over the place. But there are still people who are like, 'I didn't even know you guys were in the Olympics.' " I just think it is sad that in our society a female athlete has to pose in the nude to get mainstream coverage.

First off, she's not showing any "private" areas, It's ESPN Magazine, not Penthouse or Hustler. This issue is meant to be artistic and tasteful while showing the beautiful bodies of our elite athletes. I don't see how this can be seen as anything but positive for the sport of wrestling, especially women's wrestling.

No worries, she's wearing a knee pad. Besides, nudity and sexuality are different things. I think the "body issue" is done much more tastefully than the "swimsuit issues". 

I say good for her, and good for wrestling. Just about any olympic athlete would be worthy of the honor, so we should be happy to get some coverage. 

OP is missing the concept of what the Body Issue means for many of these athletes.

Please enlighten me...

I understand it is great mainstream coverage for lesser-known athletes. As I mentioned before, I don't blame Adeline for doing it. I just think the whole ESPN body issue is a little unnecessary. I would rather see the athletes getting coverage just for their athletic achievements and not what their body looks like. What Adeline has done and is doing on the mat is amazing and I would like to see her praised for just that. I am just a little annoyed that only time I saw coverage of her on ESPN or NBC was in the body issue (maybe I missed something... I admittedly don't watch TV often).

Please enlighten me...

I understand it is great mainstream coverage for lesser-known athletes. As I mentioned before, I don't blame Adeline for doing it. I just think the whole ESPN body issue is a little unnecessary. I would rather see the athletes getting coverage just for their athletic achievements and not what their body looks like. What Adeline has done and is doing on the mat is amazing and I would like to see her praised for just that. I am just a little annoyed that only time I saw coverage of her on ESPN or NBC was in the body issue (maybe I missed something... I admittedly don't watch TV often).

The body issue is a response to the overtly sexual swimsuit issues.  It has been running for several years now, and has featured prominent athletes from sports big and small, with all kinds of different bodies, including this year with the NFL's Vince Wilfork, who goes 325+ proudly posing

http://espn.go.com/espnw/sports/article/16743501/wrestler-adeline-gray-talks-role-models-wrestling-national-exposure-espn-body-issue

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed yet. I am usually all for wrestling coverage, but I am not sure this is what is best for women's wrestling. I don't blame Gray. I just think it is a little tacky by ESPN. I agree with her quote, "I'm a three-time champion and should, in my eyes, be kind of all over the place. But there are still people who are like, 'I didn't even know you guys were in the Olympics.' " I just think it is sad that in our society a female athlete has to pose in the nude to get mainstream coverage.

this exposure was awful for ronda rousey's career.....

Is ESPN is known for dedicating pages to women's Olympic hammer throwers? This is a unique opportunity for all the athletes who aren't from the Big Four to show their athletic prowess and get additional exposure (no pun intended). 

What would be best for women's wrestling is if FIRST AND FOREMOST our own wrestling community would embrace them fully. That's our biggest issue with women's wrestling is the brash and arrogant resistance to women's wrestling and its constant comparisons to the men's side of things. 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Adeline's presence in the magazine. How many women's wrestling features have you seen in ANY mainstream publication prior to this year? Few. The story itself is where the gold is -- the fact they're packaging athletes' physiques in a manner that draws readers does just that -- it draws READERS. 

The amount of people who have been exposed (Again, no pun intended) to women's wrestling and its opportunities for girls solely because of this piece speaks to the broader and bigger picture. 

This isn't about some ego-driven concept of being in a magazine in the buff -- Adeline's platform has always been the same. She's been able to take control of her brand and she's gotten a TON of media exposure (beyond the Body Issue) and that is good for women's wrestling, that is good for American wrestling, that is good for WRESTLING. PERIOD. 

The real question is. Why has nobody in Colorado made a huge deal out of the first wrestler from Colorado on an Olympic Team since I don't even know when???

WHY??? 

Is ESPN is known for dedicating pages to women's Olympic hammer throwers? This is a unique opportunity for all the athletes who aren't from the Big Four to show their athletic prowess and get additional exposure (no pun intended). 

What would be best for women's wrestling is if FIRST AND FOREMOST our own wrestling community would embrace them fully. That's our biggest issue with women's wrestling is the brash and arrogant resistance to women's wrestling and its constant comparisons to the men's side of things. 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Adeline's presence in the magazine. How many women's wrestling features have you seen in ANY mainstream publication prior to this year? Few. The story itself is where the gold is -- the fact they're packaging athletes' physiques in a manner that draws readers does just that -- it draws READERS. 

The amount of people who have been exposed (Again, no pun intended) to women's wrestling and its opportunities for girls solely because of this piece speaks to the broader and bigger picture. 

This isn't about some ego-driven concept of being in a magazine in the buff -- Adeline's platform has always been the same. She's been able to take control of her brand and she's gotten a TON of media exposure (beyond the Body Issue) and that is good for women's wrestling, that is good for American wrestling, that is good for WRESTLING. PERIOD. 

I pretty much agree with all that you said. I guess it is just personal preference for me. I would rather see an Olympic issue instead of a body issue. They could interview women's hammer throwers and wrestlers without the nude pictures IMO. However, I will concede that it is good that wrestling is getting coverage either way. 

Flo brought her on as a guest announcer a few years ago for some matches at the world team trials and she was fantastic. So much better than all the shouting. She will keep doing a lot for the future of women's wrestling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

She does a tremendous job promoting the sport on all levels.  Incredible interviewer, always giving time to work with the youth and doing speaking engagements, does everything asked of her and more.  Plus she's an absolute hammer on the mat.  The total package, we are lucky to have her...

Best leglace in the world, full stop

Adeline's pictures are beautiful.  Just like ancient statues of athletes from Greece and Rome (many of those figures, brace yourselves, are...NAKED!).  She's doing nothing sexual or sleazy in the images; if you have a hang up about them that's on you  To me, the pics help us understand and appreciate how fit and skilled she truly is and show that you can still be feminine, beautiful, and graceful while competing in the most physically brutal game in the world.  I'd write more but I've got to renew my subscriptions to Playboy and Hustler pronto...