Sign in to follow this  
Gantry

Grand Prix of Spain

Last tournament before the Olympics, some heavy hitters in all 3 styles.  TheOpenMat article:

http://news.theopenmat.com/international-wrestling/taylor-gray-fix-valencia-augello-headline-team-usa-grand-prix-spain/58429

TheMat article:

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2016/July/05/US-women-Olympians-headline-USA-team-at-Spanish-Grand-Prix

TheMat article (which is older) has Maroulis and Pirozhkova going, but not mentioned on TOM's - did they drop out? 

Bonne going 65 kilos again, why doesn't he go 61? 

Taylor and Valencia would meet in the 2nd round, interesting to see how that would go after DT got the tech in folk. 

Have a link to the womens brackets JH?

Bonne going 65 kilos again, why doesn't he go 61? 

Taylor and Valencia would meet in the 2nd round, interesting to see how that would go after DT got the tech in folk. 

Have a link to the womens brackets JH?

That sucks.  At least have them on opposite sides of the bracket.

I know, wish there was some sort of rule or courtesy granted to all countries to separate teammates in international tournaments as best as possible. Especially when teams are flying overseas. Looks like (and probably is) a complete waste of time, money and effort when teammates face each other in the first or second round. 

Pretty sure Coach Slay is addressing this issue with UWW.  

Edited by 2td3nf

I know, wish there was some sort of rule or courtesy granted to all countries to separate teammates in international tournaments as best as possible. Especially when teams are flying overseas. Looks like (and probably is) a complete waste of time, money and effort when teammates face each other in the first or second round. 

Pretty sure Coach Slay is addressing this issue with UWW.  

its ridiculous. wrestling has precious few resources. no reason why non championship events need to be run like this. none. 

Taylor won in the finals. I think it was 8-6 but it was hard to tell. The video for his mat wasn't on so I was watching him in the background from a different mat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice job by DT, he's going to get better and better and he fills in the weight and gets used to wrestling the bigger guys. 

What are the credentials for the Mongolian Mandakhnaran at 65kg.  Beat Bonne 8-2 and Gomez 5-1, impressive

Nice job by DT, he's going to get better and better and he fills in the weight and gets used to wrestling the bigger guys.

What are the credentials for the Mongolian Mandakhnaran at 65kg. Beat Bonne 8-2 and Gomez 5-1, impressive

2 time world bronze

Congrats to James and David! Gold is always great!

Most likely, Green will be peaking for that non Olympic World title, but hope David gives the Yarygin a shot in 2017. I think I read that DT was going to enter the Yarygin last year but was a little banged up and wanted to stay healthy and focus and peak for OTT's. Really think his style would be a fun match up against all those Russians (of course, if he wins his matches). 

Also got a kick at seeing Coach Yonetmitsu with the American team in Spain. He's probably a tremendous asset and "different feel" in the wrestling room. 

Where were the women? All four Olympians were supposed to wrestle, but none of them did. As late as Friday night, TheMat.com had them all listed as competing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read somewhere that a few of the bigger name women were just going out there to participate in the training came and to get some scouting info with the coaching staff. Not sure who was listed though.

Taylor over Zahid by a wide margin. Considering Zahid has beaten both NCAA finalists from last year this leads to an interesting point. I would wager Taylor could easily dominate Bo Nickal and Myles Martin. Nickal and Martin wrestled 174 last year and wrestle 86kg. Zahid will either wrestler 174 or 184. Cox on the other hand came down from 197. Amazing that 86kg compresses three college weights into one international weight. 

Taylor over Zahid by a wide margin. Considering Zahid has beaten both NCAA finalists from last year this leads to an interesting point. I would wager Taylor could easily dominate Bo Nickal and Myles Martin. Nickal and Martin wrestled 174 last year and wrestle 86kg. Zahid will either wrestler 174 or 184. Cox on the other hand came down from 197. Amazing that 86kg compresses three college weights into one international weight. 

DT would be beating anybody that's currently in college right now.  Especially at folkstyle.