JohnnyThompsonnum1

A Dream of Mine

I have a dream, a goal, that I want to know whether it is worth pursuing or not.

What I want to do, is compile a huge list of Professional Athletes, Professional Wrestlers, Actors, Musicians, Humanitarians, Politicians, ect that wrestled at one point in their lives. I want to simply call the book, FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO WRESTLED.

I honestly think that I could come up with 500-750 famous people who wrestled at one point in their lives.

The biggest challenges I would face in compiling this list would be....

A - Getting a hold of individuals for information/details about wrestling careers.

B - Getting pictures and getting permission to use the pictures for a book.

This would take an unbelievable amount of work, research and time.

What I want to know from you......

Would you buy a book about famous people who wrestled?

How Much would you be willing to pay for the book? $20? $50? What is too much, what is too little?

Would you rather have just one giant book, or have it divided up into a series? For example.....

Famous People Who Wrestled - Volume One - Actors

Famous People Who Wrestled - Volume Two - Pro Athletes

This is something I'm very passionate about. I'm thinking to keep it short and simple.

Picture of famous person as they are today
Picture of Famous person in a wrestling shot
Short description of who they are and what they did in wrestling.

What do you think?

Here is an example of what you would see in the book.

BBB.png

Are you planning on having a minimum requirement? Is it enough that somebody wrestled for a year in high school, or is the plan for people who have shown a small amount of success?

That's a good question.  I guess I would want to take a study, sort of like I am now and see what people think.  On a personal level, I'd want to include anyone who wrestled.  

For example, I'd include Donald Trump, who wrestled only his freshman year or Kurt Cobain, who wrestled in 7th and 8th grade. 

But would you as a reader only want to know about wrestlers who qualified for state for example? 

good idea johnny.

hey, open up your message box. Or delete some stuff so you can get pms.

I tried to pm you/that was no good

Boy you weren't kidding were you? Cleaning that out brought back some memories. Some good, some bad. Got royally screwed in a financial deal a few years back, where someone made a lot of money off an idea of mine and I got a t-shirt for it. Ha!  

Man, I miss Stovepipe and The Historian. Two great guys, taken from us way too soon.  I had some great conversations with them.

And whatever happened to Banbasketball? IS that guy still around? Loved talking to that cynical s.o.b.  What a fun guy. 

Would buy. Definitely make it only one volume.

Now the question is would you include infamous people..criminals, etc who wrestled even though it might make wrestling look bad. Do you include Jerry Sandusky for example? Is the idea for it to be propaganda or a legitimate analysis? (Not passing judgement....just food for thought. )

Would buy. Definitely make it only one volume.

Now the question is would you include infamous people..criminals, etc who wrestled even though it might make wrestling look bad. Do you include Jerry Sandusky for example? Is the idea for it to be propaganda or a legitimate analysis? (Not passing judgement....just food for thought. )

It's a fair question. The idea is for it to simply be a fun read for people to know about successful people outside of wrestling, who wrestled at one point in their lives. Whether to include the infamous or not, is a tough call. Personally, if I were to pick up the book and go to the politicians section and see that it was Hastert-less, I'd be ok with that. Some might throw a fit about it. I don't know. 

That's a good question.  I guess I would want to take a study, sort of like I am now and see what people think.  On a personal level, I'd want to include anyone who wrestled.  

For example, I'd include Donald Trump, who wrestled only his freshman year or Kurt Cobain, who wrestled in 7th and 8th grade. 

But would you as a reader only want to know about wrestlers who qualified for state for example? 

I'm more interested in whether they identify as a wrestler than I am with their success in the sport. For example, I've met a few people who say they wrestled but they don't remember what weight class, or rather what the weight classes were. How can you be a wrestler and not remember your weight class?

The program that I grew up in was in its infancy, and it was common to start the season with 10-15 guys on the team and have half of them either quit or get injured by the end. I've forgotten most of the quitters names after 20 years - I resented them at the time, and we weren't gonna friends. It took my coach 5 years to get a state qualifier, but the kids who stuck it out are all good, hardworking, committed men now. Unfortunately, none of them are celebrities, ha!

When Trump was on stage rallying with the Iowa wrestlers, and trying to identify with them, I was very curious about what level of commitment he had while in the sport. I don't really care whether or not he won. I just want to know if he persevered. Of course it was hard and he took his lumps, but after his first attempt and starting from the bottom rung as a freshman, did he quit? I'd give him the same respect that I give all the other people who did the things to be a wrestler, but not if he's a quitter. 

Those stories would still be a great read, though! Good luck!

Right now I have a list of 378 famous people who wrestled, and that list is mainly just actors. I haven't really tackled politicians, athletes, professional wrestlers, MMA fighters, astronauts or other famous people.   I think I could come up with 750 to 1,000 people.  

My thinking is to put 2-4 people per page. 

Here's some feedback. I just don't give a **** which celebrities wrestled. 95% will be d-listers anyway. You'd never see someone interested in doing this for basketball, soccer, tennis, football, etc.

This just feeds into the wrestling community's reputation as being a bunch of self-important jackasses.

Here's some feedback. I just don't give a **** which celebrities wrestled. 95% will be d-listers anyway. You'd never see someone interested in doing this for basketball, soccer, tennis, football, etc.

This just feeds into the wrestling community's reputation as being a bunch of self-important jackasses.

Your the only one here that fits that description lemon. Im sure JT welcomes constructive criticism. Just dont be a tool about it.

Lemon, you’re missing the picture JT is trying to paint.

Obviously, the proposed book is for wrestling fans. So he has an audience (and I believe he is fairly well known on this forum).

As someone with an interest, as an example, I was somewhat intrigued when I kept hearing the Baldwin fellow blab on and on

about having wrestled in college during the NCAAs. I don’t so much care about his career. But I would read about it if it was in front of me.

And folks all across countless boards are and can be self-important jackasses.

Well it's simply a matter of would it sell or would it not?  How much would people be willing to pay for it?  $15? $20? $25?  $30?  

Personally I would like to think that a big book, full of a ton of interesting information and pictures would be worth $20 to someone. Maybe even $25. I don't see them paying much more than $25 though.  

I'm more than willing to do the leg work. I'm more than willing to do the countless hours of research and the phone calls/emails getting a hold of people for pictures and permission to use those pictures, as well as any quotes or stories they would like to share about their wrestling experiences. 

However, I'm not going to spend an entire year, 4-8 hours every night working on this project if no one is going to be interested in it and I am sure not going to lose any money on it either. 

That's why I'm going around right now trying to get a feel from fans about how they would feel about such a book.  I've had this idea for a long time, and because of the likes of certain individuals I've been reluctant to share it. I had an idea another time that I shared and someone made about $60K to $70K on that idea, while I was only given a t-shirt.  Being a bit smarter this time around than I was then. 

One thing to keep in mind JT is that you will have to secure the rights of EVERY photo you plan to use, so if you plans to do one for every wrestler that is hundreds of people and rights holders you have to chase down.   Obviously that will be a logistical nightmare.   I'm sure many of them will want money for the rights as well, though plenty will likely just want you credit their photo with a caption.  Now lots of photos are in the public domain, but for celebrity photos that % is likely to be very low. 

So for a small one-man project, you may want to limit the # of photos you use. 

I think this project is only interesting if there is something meaningful about the wrestling experience of the subjects. Just having a year of JV wrestling under your belt doesn't make someone a worthy subject for this.

Frankly, I think this whole project sounds better as a website than a book. If you get a domain and hosting plan and publish it as a blog with an easy to navigate index, you can publish one profile per day for as long as it takes to get through your material. Then you won't have any space constraints. 

You can run ads on the page to generate money rather than do all the work to self publish a book that runs the risk of not selling. Once you finish all of your posts, you can collect a certain number into a book and offer it for sale through one of the many print on demand publishing services like CreateSpace.