JohnnyThompsonnum1

A Dream of Mine

Lemon, you’re missing the picture JT is trying to paint.

Obviously, the proposed book is for wrestling fans. So he has an audience (and I believe he is fairly well known on this forum).

As someone with an interest, as an example, I was somewhat intrigued when I kept hearing the Baldwin fellow blab on and on

about having wrestled in college during the NCAAs. I don’t so much care about his career. But I would read about it if it was in front of me.

And folks all across countless boards are and can be self-important jackasses.

"I don't care about his career, but I would read about it if it were in front of me" ... there's your blurb for the front cover.

you might want to look into crowdfunding platforms

https://www.kickstarter.com

https://www.gofundme.com

https://www.indiegogo.com

you can also self publish with Amazon 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-account/mm-summary-page.html?ie=UTF8&ld=AZFooterSelfPublish&topic=200260520

never put a book together before but it sounds super expensive. good news is if you put in all the leg work but can't raise the money for a physical book, you still have the option of putting it up online. good luck either way!

JT1, I honestly think you should keep it to wrestlers who at least finished their high school career (unless it was due to injury or other circumstances). I don't think they need to be "successful" wrestlers, but I think that you should not include people that ended up quitting or not returning to the sport. To me, that would paint the wrong picture. 

Phifer, I probably didn’t explain what I meant very well.

I distinctly recall William Baldwin’s movies and his acting. Hearing that he once wrestled was kind of a nice surprise.

Not to the degree that I went and looked it up. But if his wrestling career was highlighted somewhere, like JT would potentially do

in his book, I would be inclined to read about it, and others.

JT, man that is too bad about your idea being stolen. sorry to hear that.

I vote “book” instead of “blog” because I’m a turn-the-page kind of reader. I prefer something I can carry with me on planes, trains, and automobiles, instead of having to connect to something electronically.

And here’s another idea. Go ahead and do your compilation, but limit the number of profiles. See how it goes, and that could be your Volume 1.

If successful, you could then do a Volume 2, with an entire new group of profiles, in the coming future.

The main reason I suggested a website rather than a book is so that it can start generating revenue for the author right away. If it is just in book form, I don't think it will sell very well. The wrestling community is small, and the number of people who care about wrestling history is smaller still. 

Start a website, put up some posts, get some wrestling apparel company to sponsor a podcast where you interview some of the subjects. I would go to that website. I'm not spending $25 on this book, and I suspect I'm not alone. The worst case scenario is that the writer puts in months and hundreds or thousands of hours of work into a book that almost nobody buys. 

Also, out of curiosity, what was the idea you had previously that someone else profited from? Did you have an idea, but someone else did all the work, or did you do the work and not get credit?

Great idea JT1... I hope you find lots of help!

William Kerslake won 15 consecutive national championships in Freestyle and Greco-Roman. He won a gold medal in the 1955 Pan American Games and represented the United States three times in the Olympic Games, placing fifth, eighth and seventh from 1952 through 1960. At the 1956 National Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) Greco-Roman Championship in Tulsa, Oklahoma, He achieved a record setting fastest pin, taking only 4 seconds to pin his heavy weight opponent Ralph Bartleman. This feat was captured in the 1986 Guinness Book of World Records in the sports section under “Fastest Pin in National Tournament Competition”.
Throughout his wrestling career, and afterward, he was an aerospace research engineer for NASA. He was the co-inventor of the first ion thruster for space propulsion and served as chairman of the technical committee of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.

The ‘Lone Eagle’, Michael Collins is an Outstanding American Honoree at the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. He attended St. Albans, a preparatory school in Washington where he captained the wrestling team.
After graduation from the Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., he became a fighter pilot and later as an Air Force test pilot at the fabled Edwards Air Force Base in California's Mojave Desert.
He launched “one giant leap for mankind" as the commanding pilot of Apollo 11 and circled the moon alone aboard his Apollo command module on July 20, 1969, while Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, touched down on the moon's surface in a lunar lander. Most importantly, he was a significant part of why "The Eagle has landed"

In his book 'Carrying the Fire, Collins said:
“I know that I would be a liar or a fool if I said that I had the best of the three Apollo 11 seats, but I can say with truth and equanimity that I am perfectly satisfied with the one I have… I have seen the sun's true light, unfiltered by any planet's atmosphere. I have seen the ultimate black of infinity in a ‘stillness’ undisturbed by any living thing. I have been pierced by cosmic rays on their endless journey from God's place to the limits of the universe, perhaps there to circle back on themselves and on my descendants”.

Edited by OKnowwhut

Great idea JT1... I hope you find lots of help!

William Kerslake won 15 consecutive national championships in Freestyle and Greco-Roman. He won a gold medal in the 1955 Pan American Games and represented the United States three times in the Olympic Games, placing fifth, eighth and seventh from 1952 through 1960. At the 1956 National Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) Greco-Roman Championship in Tulsa, Oklahoma, He achieved a record setting fastest pin, taking only 4 seconds to pin his heavy weight opponent Ralph Bartleman. This feat was captured in the 1986 Guinness Book of World Records in the sports section under “Fastest Pin in National Tournament Competition”.

Throughout his wrestling career, and afterward, he was an aerospace research engineer for NASA. He was the co-inventor of the first ion thruster for space propulsion and served as chairman of the technical committee of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.

The ‘Lone Eagle’, Michael Collins is an Outstanding American Honoree at the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. He attended St. Albans, a preparatory school in Washington where he captained the wrestling team.

After graduation from the Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., he became a fighter pilot and later as an Air Force test pilot at the fabled Edwards Air Force Base in California's Mojave Desert.

He launched “one giant leap for mankind" as the commanding pilot of Apollo 11 and circled the moon alone aboard his Apollo command module on July 20, 1969, while Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, touched down on the moon's surface in a lunar lander. Most importantly, he was a significant part of why "The Eagle has landed"

In his book 'Carrying the Fire, Collins said:

“I know that I would be a liar or a fool if I said that I had the best of the three Apollo 11 seats, but I can say with truth and equanimity that I am perfectly satisfied with the one I have… I have seen the sun's true light, unfiltered by any planet's atmosphere. I have seen the ultimate black of infinity in a ‘stillness’ undisturbed by any living thing. I have been pierced by cosmic rays on their endless journey from God's place to the limits of the universe, perhaps there to circle back on themselves and on my descendants”.

That is both - something I didn't know and awesome.

JT1 - This is proof positive for me! I really like the book idea, and if you assemble this kind of great stuff in your book I'll certainly buy more than one.

I concur with rstrong. That is the kind of stuff I want to read about. Iron, we just have different points of view. I myself would not even bother with a web site, saturated with big bright glaring ads galore, dull, yes dull interviews, and like I said, having to log on, log in, etc., etc.

But that's just me. JT can certainly go whatever direction he wishes.

Well in recent news current Republican Vice-President candidate Mike Pence participated in wrestling at Columbus North HS in Indiana. You may or may not agree on his politics, but at least he had the fortitude to compete in the toughest sport in high school.

Edited by MadMardigain

I got caught up in JT1’s great idea and researched some more stuff. 

I hope the “times gone by” accounts of this little 1899 cupcake will help him with his project.

Tom Jenkins (August 3, 1872 - June 19, 1957)

For Tom, growing up was a harsh reality. Tom’s father, Thomas Jenkins of Wales, returned to his home in Holland from mining in Russia to find his first wife and all of his children dead in the Great Potato Famine. Old Tom married his second wife, Mary and they had three daughters who all died young in Scotland. The couple moved to England where their first three sons were born but the oldest died before the family immigrated to Ohio. Their final two sons were born in America: the first was Tim and then, on August 3, 1872, the future champion, Tom. Subsequently, it was noted at the time that the spirited Young Tom commanded a certain guidance provided often by Old Tom’s iron hand.

On July 5th 1881, as a second grader, Tom and a creative cannon battery of   “wild child” kids came up with a great idea to salute Independence Day. They found one two-foot iron cannon and made a fire to dry out the wet powder. Yep… the explosion blew the cannon apart injuring four boys. Tom got the worst of it with iron fragments and scorching black powder embedded in his broken-jaw, face, neck, and chest. To save his eyesight little Tommy was confined to a dark room for close to a year. It didn’t work; Tom’s right eye was blind for life and he only had limited sight in his left eye. “Lucky” Tom’s formal education was over when the doctor told him the strain of reading with his weak left eye could blind him totally. Second grade Tom had graduated to the school of hard knocks.

Too cool for school, Tom became a street kid. By the time he was twelve years old, he was an accomplished thief, knew how to “take care of business” and was arrested eight times. Years later the self-described Wild Kid explained, “There wasn’t never no meanness in me. These were just the pranks of a wild kid who was trying to keep busy doing something, but you got pinched easy in them days.”

Leaving his age of infamy behind, Tom went to work in a steel mill, and by sixteen, the tough kid was promoted to “Rougher” (than you or me). Facing death and destruction, while handling 100lb molten steel ingots, makes for some gnarly callouses. It could make a guy extraordinarily strong and dang quick too. Yes sir, a real character builder.

In 1899 “Rough” Tom Jenkins became  the American Heavyweight Champion. He was the first great wrestling champion to specialize in the catch-as-catch-can style and receive both national and international recognition. He was known to be powered on tough and  stood alone as the most feared mat-man in America. A grappler from Cleveland Ohio, he was 220 pounds of steel muscle mean who enjoyed gripping with his rock-hard, heavily callused hands that could and did flay the skin right off a man’s face and body

In 1905, President Theodore Roosevelt appointed Tom boxing & wrestling instructor of the United States Military Academy at West Point. The tag of “Rough Tom” took on a whole new meaning with the illiterate second-grade educated retired champion assuming the title of Professor at West Point. “Papa” Tom would be responsible for the finest young educated minds produced in America. Among his students were George S. Patton, Omar Bradley, and Dwight Eisenhower. Tom later recounted thinking, “They ain’t hiring me to teach reading and writin’. All they want outa me is boxing and wrestling, and I can give ’em plenty of that.”

Brigadier General John Thomas Corley was one of the most decorated officers of World War II. General Corley related that in the thick of the Battle of the Bulge when his command had been overrun, “I was punchy for want of sleep. I went into a dugout to think. I put my head down on a table and dozed off. I was a cadet again and in Tom Jenkins’ wrestling room. I could hear him saying, ‘Mister, what do you weigh? You don’t have to be as big as the other fellow to win.’ I did not surrender the battalion. General Bradley sent tanks and rescued us.”

While recognizing that Tom was a truly great wrestling champion, the life and teachings of Thomas Jenkins ultimately far transcended his wrestling acumen.

Edited by OKnowwhut

I haven't read most of this thread, so I may be repeating what others have said, but this is just one guy's (worthless) opinion. I just don't see the wrestling community bothering with this. It's such a finicky group that you'd end up losing your shirt on it.

That said, I think a website would be much better. That was you develop longer stories, or maybe interviews, with some of these folks, including linking to multiple photos and maybe even personal video that these folks could share with you. For example, not unlike Scott Casber's weekly interviews with multiple people, you could do the same with your site. I think with site advertisers and potential investors, you end up making it more financially viable and far less stressful on yourself to try and spread it out, instead of taking years to cull this information with limited space. No one is going to want War and Peace in terms of wrestling bios.

I haven't read most of this thread, so I may be repeating what others have said, but this is just one guy's (worthless) opinion. I just don't see the wrestling community bothering with this. It's such a finicky group that you'd end up losing your shirt on it.

That said, I think a website would be much better. That was you develop longer stories, or maybe interviews, with some of these folks, including linking to multiple photos and maybe even personal video that these folks could share with you. For example, not unlike Scott Casber's weekly interviews with multiple people, you could do the same with your site. I think with site advertisers and potential investors, you end up making it more financially viable and far less stressful on yourself to try and spread it out, instead of taking years to cull this information with limited space. No one is going to want War and Peace in terms of wrestling bios.

You do realize that one of the OTHER people that interviews those people is.....ME....right? 

You do realize that one of the OTHER people that interviews those people is.....ME....right? 

You did mention something about spending four to eight hours a night on this project. I think this is a way for you to spend significantly less time on your idea, because your interviews are very specific. You interview Tom Cruise, for example, not because you care about Mission Impossible: Infinity, but because of wrestling, which makes for a far shorter interview, which means less work. From there, it's a matter of filling out the wordpress (or whatever platform you'd use) page with photos and videos. Maintain your hobby, but don't let it drive you nuts. Good luck.

You did mention something about spending four to eight hours a night on this project. I think this is a way for you to spend significantly less time on your idea, because your interviews are very specific. You interview Tom Cruise, for example, not because you care about Mission Impossible: Infinity, but because of wrestling, which makes for a far shorter interview, which means less work. From there, it's a matter of filling out the wordpress (or whatever platform you'd use) page with photos and videos. Maintain your hobby, but don't let it drive you nuts. Good luck.

I would like something that people could continuously go back to and refer to.  I was recently contacted about something that would be absolutely perfect. If it goes through, of course. 

I would like something that people could continuously go back to and refer to.  I was recently contacted about something that would be absolutely perfect. If it goes through, of course. 

Then a book is not what you want. We live in an age of technology where quick answers and access to information is mandatory and the expectation. Committing things to paper is not the way to go. Put it on a website and leave it. Access it in Iowa City. Access it in Manila. Access it at 3:00 a.m. on your vacation to South Africa. Books don't afford you that opportunity. The even better part about being online is if you need updating to certain information or media is that it doesn't require an entire book reprint. Get the information, toss it up on your site and you're done.

Again, good luck with your dream. I hope it goes as you plan, if not better.

Then a book is not what you want. We live in an age of technology where quick answers and access to information is mandatory and the expectation. Committing things to paper is not the way to go. Put it on a website and leave it. Access it in Iowa City. Access it in Manila. Access it at 3:00 a.m. on your vacation to South Africa. Books don't afford you that opportunity. The even better part about being online is if you need updating to certain information or media is that it doesn't require an entire book reprint. Get the information, toss it up on your site and you're done.

Again, good luck with your dream. I hope it goes as you plan, if not better.

Publishing to a book versus to a web site aren't mutually exclusive. Digital Publishing is very advanced these days, and is broad enough to easily encompass both book and web options, and much more.

As we've seen, a protected PDF could be made available for interactive reading on a web site that is a perhaps a snippet of the full book. For a fair price, books could be ordered, or the full PDF could be unlocked for web viewing, or off-line viewing options could be available (Amazon Kindle, iTunes, Google Play, etc.) Once the 'book' is digital, it can be delivered in many ways.

That being said - I'm looking for paper. I want to read on the deck, overlooking the pond, and not have to worry about how much battery I have left... and some day, I'll pass it on to someone else who might otherwise not have known it existed.

“I want to read on the deck, overlooking the pond, and not have to worry about how much battery I have left.”

Amen brother rstrong! Amen!

Edited by JC

Publishing to a book versus to a web site aren't mutually exclusive. Digital Publishing is very advanced these days, and is broad enough to easily encompass both book and web options, and much more.

As we've seen, a protected PDF could be made available for interactive reading on a web site that is a perhaps a snippet of the full book. For a fair price, books could be ordered, or the full PDF could be unlocked for web viewing, or off-line viewing options could be available (Amazon Kindle, iTunes, Google Play, etc.) Once the 'book' is digital, it can be delivered in many ways.

That being said - I'm looking for paper. I want to read on the deck, overlooking the pond, and not have to worry about how much battery I have left... and some day, I'll pass it on to someone else who might otherwise not have known it existed.

How many videos can you imbed into a pdf? When you change a pdf, you potentially change the entire formatting of the document, which is a lot of work. Also, it's a lot easier to segment and key word on a website than it is to do so in a pdf. No one wants to scroll through that anyway.

I can appreciate that folks want books in their hands. I feel the same way about books and do not own a Kindle or other digital reading device, but I would absolutely use a website with this info. Say a video provided by Tom Cruise came out. Think of the exposure for that site. You can't do that with a print book. You need to understand the market to which you're selling. Would you and JC simply not read the website if there were no print option? Are you the typical consumer for this sort of thing or do you market it towards a younger crowd who tend to be more in-tune with constant access and assisting others in marketing a good product via social media or do you do a press run of 5,000 print copies of such a niche publication and hope against hope that you break even?

Anyway, for the final time, good luck with whatever you choose to do with your idea.

How many videos can you imbed into a pdf? When you change a pdf, you potentially change the entire formatting of the document, which is a lot of work. Also, it's a lot easier to segment and key word on a website than it is to do so in a pdf. No one wants to scroll through that anyway.

I can appreciate that folks want books in their hands. I feel the same way about books and do not own a Kindle or other digital reading device, but I would absolutely use a website with this info. Say a video provided by Tom Cruise came out. Think of the exposure for that site. You can't do that with a print book. You need to understand the market to which you're selling. Would you and JC simply not read the website if there were no print option? Are you the typical consumer for this sort of thing or do you market it towards a younger crowd who tend to be more in-tune with constant access and assisting others in marketing a good product via social media or do you do a press run of 5,000 print copies of such a niche publication and hope against hope that you break even?

Anyway, for the final time, good luck with whatever you choose to do with your idea.

I can give you some links to learn more about Digital Publishing. It is astonishing how far this technology has come. You'd want to understand both the market and the technology for delivery in this situation.

PDF's are just one format - and only a small subset of what DP involves. DP encompasses social media distribution, protected interactive web delivery, and even (say it isn't so) print publishing.

And, rest assured, all crowds (including "younger") would be well received with online digital options, offline digital options, and yes - again - even paper.

Be careful not to oversimplify what Digital Publishing actually is. It isn't even remotely close to some type of "paper vs digital" or "old vs young" argument. We hashed those out in the early 2000's - we've evolved since then.

Tofurky, I can only speak for myself. And if I’m the only person that feels like me, then fine.

JT opened by saying, “I want to simply call the book, FAMOUS PEOPLE WHO WRESTLED.”

Maybe JT should do what he wants to do, not what others want him to do or what others think he should do.

Personally, I’ve heard and seen about enough of Tom Cruise, to the point I don’t much care about anything else he has done, unless it is extraordinarily humanitarian. So if some old video surfaced of him wrestling, sorry, I have no interest in seeing it.

As I have stated, a book about people who had wrestling careers, be they well known or not so well known, yet all somewhat ACCOMPLISHED (like a senator or other politician, corporate chief, short career pro athlete, teacher/professor/scientist/doctor, etc.), that would interest me.

Videos do not  engage one’s mind like the written word does. This is not to say JT’s book will automatically be a great read. Who knows? Maybe it won’t.

But like I said, his vision and his undertaking has to be his, no one else’s.

Edited by JC