Sign in to follow this  
aknipp

Nebraska next year

Looking at Nebraska next year,  6 SR and 1 SO starter returning.  2 AAs.  But I expect 4 of the 6 SRs to have serious competition for the starting position.

#125 SR Tim Lambert returns. Lambert is a 3 year starter, on track for 100 wins on varsity. That is if he beats rFR Kris Williams. Lambert placed higher in the Midlands than Williams. But I suspect they are close.

#133 SR Eric Montoya returns. After placing 5th, Montoya hopes to work his way up the podium.  Good bet to AA again, but not too certain how high he can climb.

#141 JR Colton McCrystal, rFR Collin Purinton and FR CJ Red may be in the mix.  McCrystal was the top backup last year. Good experience starting at 133 as a true FR. Red is expected to redshirt (maybe at 133 in a year).

#149 JR Justin Arthur and rFR Jordan Shearer seem to be the top 2.  Both just off redshirt. Looking at matches against the same opponent, they seem to be pretty evenly matched. Do you go with the experience in Arthur or the (possibly) higher upside in Shearer?

#157 SO Tyler Berger returns. As a NQ and falling in the R12, one short of the podium,  I expect he should have another very good year. 

#165 SO Dustin Williams seems to be the top contender for the vacated spot of AA Austin Wilson. Williams should be a NQ, but remains to be seen what his upside is. 

#174 SR Micah Barnes, fell in the R16, by 8 in the 3rd period, only to be taken down and pinned by the guy who ended up #4. If only.  True FR Beau Breske may challenge here (more likely redshirt).

#184 SR Tim Dudley, NCAA finalist & 2 time AA returns.  Will hope to repeat and even surpass his #2 spot, which means he has to beat returning AA Gabe Dean. That is a tall order, though he wrestles Dean close. 

#197 SR Aaron Studebaker is a 2 time NQ and both times fell in the R12.  Studebaker is undersized (wrestling at 174 and 184 before starting at 197). He is also pushed very hard by SO Derek White (who I am shocked has not beated Studebaker). White took 2nd in the Midlands last year and Studebaker 3rd, both falling to the same wrestler. 

#285 SR Colin Jensen returns, a 3 time NQ, though never really close to the podium.  rFR Patrick Grayson will push Jenson and won't surprise me if Grayson ends up starting.

Nebraska has several very solid recruits coming in but I only expect to see serious challenges at 174 and maybe 141.

Just me $0.02 

Andy

Don't you just hate when you put together a good thought out post only to get no responses, they'd rather beat a dead horse on another post I guess. I enjoyed the breakdown but they're still going down when they wrestle Michigan, I only see them being able to win 1 maybe 2. 184 is a toss up as those 2 go back and forth all the time and Studebaker may be too much too soon for a young Striggow but I'd really like to see Payne Hayden get his weight back down so he can wrestle 197 this year if he's healed up in time.

also, Richard Immel

changed my signature.

Had not heard this. Got any details ? 

Arthur is trying to win the 165 spot. 

I was wondering about that.  I saw that Arthur was at 163 for the freestyle nationals. so I was wondering if he was changing weights or if he didn't feel like cutting for the tourney. 

Husker_Du, on 27 Jul 2016 - 3:52 PM, said:
also, Richard Immel

changed my signature.

Had not heard this. Got any details ? 

I believe he is referring to this little blurb at the bottom of all of his posts: I listen to the Spice Girls on repeat... Daily...

Love a good Husker breakdown.  You have to redshirt both Red and Breske (especially Breske). Barnes, Dudley and Studebaker have those weights on lock.  No one takes spot from Studebaker - works too hard and just keeps getting better.  141 / 149 / 165 will be a crapshoot - who wants to step up and be the guy??

125 - I predict another round of 16 or 12 finish at Nationals.

133 - AA 5-8 again.  Solid!

141 - ???

149 - ???

157 - Another round of 12 or 16 finish.  Berger had a very up and down year last year, I wondered if he would even qualify for a while.  Got on a streak at Nationals to end on high note.  Still a ?? but Berger has a ton of upside.

165 - ??

174 - AA Barnes is tough!  3-6 finish.

184 - 2x runner up. 3x AA sounds pretty nice to me.

197 - AA  Studebaker will make it happen.  He is a guy that you don't want to see on the backside at Nationals.

HWT - Round of sixteen prediction.  Beat the crap out of Stoll from Iowa last year.  Always good to see heavyweights from Iowa throw a fit.

Looking at Nebraska next year,  6 SR and 1 SO starter returning.  2 AAs.  But I expect 4 of the 6 SRs to have serious competition for the starting position.

#125 SR Tim Lambert returns. Lambert is a 3 year starter, on track for 100 wins on varsity. That is if he beats rFR Kris Williams. Lambert placed higher in the Midlands than Williams. But I suspect they are close.

#133 SR Eric Montoya returns. After placing 5th, Montoya hopes to work his way up the podium.  Good bet to AA again, but not too certain how high he can climb.

#141 JR Colton McCrystal, rFR Collin Purinton and FR CJ Red may be in the mix.  McCrystal was the top backup last year. Good experience starting at 133 as a true FR. Red is expected to redshirt (maybe at 133 in a year).

#149 JR Justin Arthur and rFR Jordan Shearer seem to be the top 2.  Both just off redshirt. Looking at matches against the same opponent, they seem to be pretty evenly matched. Do you go with the experience in Arthur or the (possibly) higher upside in Shearer?

#157 SO Tyler Berger returns. As a NQ and falling in the R12, one short of the podium,  I expect he should have another very good year. 

#165 SO Dustin Williams seems to be the top contender for the vacated spot of AA Austin Wilson. Williams should be a NQ, but remains to be seen what his upside is. 

#174 SR Micah Barnes, fell in the R16, by 8 in the 3rd period, only to be taken down and pinned by the guy who ended up #4. If only.  True FR Beau Breske may challenge here (more likely redshirt).

#184 SR Tim Dudley, NCAA finalist & 2 time AA returns.  Will hope to repeat and even surpass his #2 spot, which means he has to beat returning AA Gabe Dean. That is a tall order, though he wrestles Dean close. 

#197 SR Aaron Studebaker is a 2 time NQ and both times fell in the R12.  Studebaker is undersized (wrestling at 174 and 184 before starting at 197). He is also pushed very hard by SO Derek White (who I am shocked has not beated Studebaker). White took 2nd in the Midlands last year and Studebaker 3rd, both falling to the same wrestler. 

#285 SR Colin Jensen returns, a 3 time NQ, though never really close to the podium.  rFR Patrick Grayson will push Jenson and won't surprise me if Grayson ends up starting.

Nebraska has several very solid recruits coming in but I only expect to see serious challenges at 174 and maybe 141.

Lambert is in a dogfight with Williams, but I always root for a 5th year senior to start.

McCrystal will be the 141 unless Red shows that he is ready to go.

Berger is on fire and will make some noise this year.

Williams is the 165 and have a winning season.

Derek White is no longer on the team.  Studebaker will be pushed by true frosh Eric Schultz who has looked sensational so far.

I'll be very surprised if Jensen isn't the starter all year.

It's crazy how good the B1G conference is.  That lineup will be hard pressed to finish in the top half of the B1G.  PSU, Iowa, tOSU, Mich, Illinois, Rutgers, Minnesota(depending on if they get straightened out in time) all match up very well with Nebraska.  Crazy deep conference!

Derek White is no longer on the team.  Studebaker will be pushed by true frosh Eric Schultz who has looked sensational so far.

When did this happen ? Bummed,  really thought he would earn the spot. 

Damn good thing they picked up Schultz.  

When did this happen ? Bummed,  really thought he would earn the spot. 

Damn good thing they picked up Schultz.  

Very surprised by this as well. Is he transferring someplace, or just quit wrestling altogether?

It's crazy how good the B1G conference is.  That lineup will be hard pressed to finish in the top half of the B1G.  PSU, Iowa, tOSU, Mich, Illinois, Rutgers, Minnesota(depending on if they get straightened out in time) all match up very well with Nebraska.  Crazy deep conference!

No kidding. But at the end of the year there will be plenty of people on here complaining that the B1G gets to many qualifiers when I think they don't get enough.