Sign in to follow this  
lu1979

Russia is out @ 57KG

fair decision, after all Lebedev didn't deserve to win the spot in the worlds , remember his Bonne match

His Bonne match and the next match vs India (?) were both clearly rigged. I can only remember the referees hitting the winning wrestler with fleeing the hold with less than 0:05 left in those two matches. 

it doesn't make sense to me they would ban the weight class for russia. I understand banning lebedev, although the punishment for banning athletes who have failed and served their sentence seems slighty unjust, and is just the IOC basically being too afraid to ban all of russia and coming up with some silly way to save face. but if they are banning an individual why would the weight class be banned? Someone else should have had the opportunity to go (bogomoev)

I'm just speculating but I would say that the IOC,s/UWW's reasoning is that they are bouncing Lebedev, and Lebedev was the wrestler who had earned that spot for Russia, therefore Russia loses the spot and it goes to the next country in line @ the 2015 Worlds (which is where the spot was qualified)  I would think that if Someone else (who is clean) had been @ worlds last year and qualified the spot then Russia might have been given the opportunity to offer a replacement.  No inside info just guessing.

Edited by lu1979

In the same token is it fair that all the rest of the Ruaaians get to go, but Lebedev is being held out just based on offense which was almost 10 years ago. That is with the idea that his current samples were not part of the one that the Ruaaians had altered. I get there are a few other annoying thing relates to Lebedev's selection, but the IOC just hold a mistake from 10 years ago over him seems unfair if there is no other drug related issues since.

Edited by MadMardigain

I'm the same token is it fair that all the rest of the Ruaaians get to go, but Lebedev is being held out just based on offense which was almost 10 years ago. That is with the idea that his current samples were not part of the one that the Ruaaians had altered. I get there are a few other issues with Lebedev's selection, but continuing to hold a mistake from 10 years ago over him seems unfair if nothing else since then has been flagged.

Agree, this decision just raises more questions. Why go back to his junior career. If they have something more recent, why not disclose it.

its the IOC chickening out. they wanted to do something but they couldn't ban all of Russia because Putin/Russia had dirt on them. so they came up with this nonsense of banning Russians who got caught but already served their suspensions. it's absurd. its punishing athletes a second time instead of the athletes that have yet to be caught but did dope. 

America's best sprinter at the 100 and 200m dash was busted for PEDs twice, served both suspensions and will still compete in Rio. I don't think Lebedev should be in the Olympics but I also think this rule is ridiculous. 

the IOC is 100% useless. 

The IOC did this to themselves with their half measure of banning only Russians who had ever failed a test while not applying that standard across the board. I'm sure Lebedev wonders why he has to sit while someone like Justin Gatlin can serve two different suspensions and come back no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The IOC did not make a mistake. They knew that if they used that past failed test as a rationale that the decision would get overturned. That way they could let all of the Russians wrestle and say they did what they could. It's a smart political move but shows that the IOC has no backbone.

I still say the worse one is the Russian Judo team getting pass to the Olympics without even an investigation, due to the fact the current head of their international governing body is President Putin.

Man if I would have known I could have been on the juice for 4 years and still not be held accountable for it I could have made a heck of a Olympic run in badminton.