newyorkwrestler

list of summer olympic sports that shouldn't be in the games

Not a big fan of the Olympics including major professional sports which already have weekly competitions to prove who the best in the world is. Golf and Tennis specifically. On some levels even sports like Basketball would fit this, although at least you can say the NBA does not have the country vs country aspect. I know the Olympics uses them due to the easy money they attract, but I'd rather see sports who have fewer international competition and have at least some hints of amateurism (even if it's small) still in tact.

Using a trampoline is how both divers and gymnasts learn their aerial moves. How it became a sport from there is beyond me, other than some people probably could twist good but couldn't make it in either of the other two disciplines. I'd rather throw trampoline out and tell those competitors to take up driving or gymnastics.

It's interesting to look at the way the events are listed on Google, for example if you just search Olympic Sports 2016 into Google it lists the sports and the number of events. 

In this search we see the following:

Archery - 4 events

Badminton - 5 events

Basketball - 2 events

Beach Volleyball - 2 events

Boxing - 13 events

Canoe slalom - 4 events

Canoe - sprint 12 events

Cycling - BMX - 2 events

Cycling - Mountain Bike - 2 events

Cycling - Road - 4 events

Cycling - Track - 10 events

Diving - 8 events

Equestrian - 6 events

Fencing - 8 events

Field hockey - 2 events

Golf - 2 events

Gymnastics - 14 events 

Handball - 2 events (how come no one complained about that?)

Modern pentathlon - 2 events

Rhythmic gymnastics - 14 events

Rowing - 14 events

Rugby sevens - 2 events (seriously?)

Sailing - 10 events (don't get me started)

Shooting - 15 events

Soccer - 2 events 

Swimming - 32 events

Synchronized swimming - 2 events

Table tennis - 4 events (add that to the list, please)

Taekwondo - 8 events

Tennis - 5 events

Track & field - 47 events

Trampoline - 2 events

Triathlon - 2 events

Water polo - 2 events

Weightlifting - 15 events

Wrestling - 18 events

So this is how Olympic sports are presented to the masses.

There are 18 wrestling events - referring to the 3 forms and 6 weight classes per and according to this system of accounting wrestling has been allocated more events than all but Swimming and Track & Field. So wrestling fans who complain look awfully selfish according to the Olympic Games where the unit of accounting is number of events. Never mind that cycling in all its forms has 18 events, canoeing has 16 events when slalom and sprint are taken together. And a lot of the other sports require specialized venues, equipment, viewing areas or both. 

Baseball and softball were cut due to the USA overwhelming other countries year after year, correct? So, why is mens and womens bball still in? USA kills it every cycle. Mens desteoyed china yesterday and womens crushed some other team today by like 60 pts or someting. Clearly, the ioc wont because it is a huge money grab for them to keep it in, but the same reasons are there for it to be removed, correct? Or am i wrong on the reason for baseball/softball being removed?

Baseball and softball were cut due to the USA overwhelming other countries year after year, correct? So, why is mens and womens bball still in? USA kills it every cycle. Mens desteoyed china yesterday and womens crushed some other team today by like 60 pts or someting. Clearly, the ioc wont because it is a huge money grab for them to keep it in, but the same reasons are there for it to be removed, correct? Or am i wrong on the reason for baseball/softball being removed?

The USA only won one gold medal out of five contested baseball olympics.  The softball team did dominate.  

The simple answer is no one cares about Olympic baseball.  They do care about Olympic basketball.

http://www.foxsports.com/olympics/story/keep-baseball-out-of-the-olympics-and-softball-too-072616

Here's a 538 article on this very topic:  http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/best-worst-olympic-sports-survey-ranked/

For those unfamiliar with the website, 538 uses pseudo-science and misleading statistical analyses to create click bait articles that contain very little actual substance.  Think of it as bleacher report + 11th grade math.  Unsurprisingly, they conclude that greco roman is more popular than freestyle.  

The events you list as the most unacceptable also are listed as the worst by the 538 analysis.  

The Olympics are often held near the baeball pennant races. So baseball lacked really any star power as the best players from the US, as well as a few Western Hemisphere counties, weren't able to participates due to MLB games. You take away the star power and baseball is just going to be a hard sell in most areas of the world.

That is the most inaccurate characterization of 538 I've ever seen. If you actually read the article you are lambasting, you would learn the methodology that was used to generate the rankings.

I just thought it was funny that they wrote an article on the same topic.  My main issue with 538 is that their go-to article is to arbitrarily create a very large data set (in this case it's from a vote on their website), spend a very long time analyzing the data with various charts, and then come to conclusions based on their analyses (from which they make a catchy headline)..The whole process is rarely scientific, but always presented in a psuedo-scientific manner.  Anyway, the point is to create things people enjoy reading, much like Bleacher Report or Buzzfeed.  There's nothing wrong with that..It's just not my cup of tea.

That is the most inaccurate characterization of 538 I've ever seen. If you actually read the article you are lambasting, you would learn the methodology that was used to generate the rankings.

Also there is a subtly in what the article said about Grego and Freestyle. It said Greco beats boxing and boxing beats Freestyle. Believe it or not the way they compute the head-to-head match ups does not automatically mean that if A > B and B > C that A > C, just as is with wrestling match up. In other words, the article didn't actually say that Greco is more popular than Freestyle, though it's understandable that this is what most people will conclude. 

Any sport where the top ranked competitors will willingly sit out because the games mean little to them, should be dropped. cough::golf::cough

Another note, if we decide to drop race walking, I vote we replace it with prancercise.

So we're going there are we? Fine, I'm nominating competitive meditation for which they already have an Olympics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_6M0iJdDfc

PS pancercise looks awesome, I'm surprised it's not already an Olympic sport. 

I like race walking, cause those dudes can fly while keeping at least one foot on the ground at all times..  Obviously, all of these sports(or activities) are meaningful endeavors, but Olympic worthy is highly subjective. Shooting, equestrian, modern pentathlon, ping pong, golf, handball, sailing -- really?  Archery has an ancient feel to it and I like that.

I like race walking, cause those dudes can fly while keeping at least one foot on the ground at all times..  Obviously, all of these sports(or activities) are meaningful endeavors, but Olympic worthy is highly subjective. Shooting, equestrian, modern pentathlon, ping pong, golf, handball, sailing -- really?  Archery has an ancient feel to it and I like that.

Table tennis is a pretty tough sport. Just gonna throw this out there, but just because the US isn't dominate at specific events or an event isn't popular in the US should not be the litmus test for Olympic inclusion. If that were the case wrestling would have been out the door after the 2008 games.

Here's a 538 article on this very topic:  http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/best-worst-olympic-sports-survey-ranked/

For those unfamiliar with the website, 538 uses pseudo-science and misleading statistical analyses to create click bait articles that contain very little actual substance.  Think of it as bleacher report + 11th grade math.  Unsurprisingly, they conclude that greco roman is more popular than freestyle.  

The events you list as the most unacceptable also are listed as the worst by the 538 analysis.  

That's a spot on description of the "statistical analysis" that Flo employs on some of its articles!