newyorkwrestler

list of summer olympic sports that shouldn't be in the games

Soccer for sure should be mentioned here as well. 

Any sport in which the ultimate prize is NOT an Olympic Gold should be high on the list. Germany, e.g. sends a U23 squad to compete just for experience. They could care less about Olympic soccer.

Baseball, for sure, Golf, for sure.

Basketball, perhaps should be refined so that multi millionaires are not allowed to play, making it more competitive.

here's a list of sports I would cut

https://jaroslavwrestling.wordpress.com/2016/08/02/the-olympics-almost-here-and-some-of-the-events-are-steaming-heaps-of-garbage/

mostly just joking. i'd probably only really cut sailing and equestrian. i feel strongly about those two not being in the olympics. the others i just either don't care for or would change how they are handled within the games

https://jaroslavwrestling.wordpress.com/2016/08/02/the-olympics-almost-here-and-some-of-the-events-are-steaming-heaps-of-garbage/

mostly just joking. i'd probably only really cut sailing and equestrian. i feel strongly about those two not being in the olympics. the others i just either don't care for or would change how they are handled within the games

I saw you put down boxing. Have you been watching it this year?  They removed the headgear, and I think it is actually pretty good now. Watch some of Nico Hernandez's bouts...They are very entertaining and he is a brawler.  He just knocked off the #2 ranked Russian and is in the 1/4 finals. I'm interested to see how the competition goes in the later stages of the tournament, since you have to figure the cumulative hits from the previous matches will wear down on some people (Especially the heavier athletes).  

Edited by Billyhoyle

I saw you put down boxing. Have you been watching it this year?  They removed the headgear, and I think it is actually pretty good now. Watch some of Nico Hernandez's bouts...They are very entertaining and he is a brawler.  He just knocked off the #2 ranked Russian and is in the 1/4 finals. I'm interested to see how the competition goes in the later stages of the tournament, since you have to figure the cumulative hits from the previous matches will wear down on some people (Especially the heavier athletes).  

I haven't, and you're right, I wrote that not realizing they removed the headgear. I'll have to check it out, thanks for the tip!

My Father who is 86, a guy who has golfed for the past 40+ years and goes to play 18 twice a week called me yesterday and said: "Did you know the Olympics have golf?".

It both cracked me up and amazed me/made sense that a guy who is, quite literally, up to date on nearly all news was dumbfounded why the Olympics had golf and why wrestling was being cancelled. 

Wrestling is probably the oldest sport known to mankind (maybe track as well) and to even consider removing it from this stage is overly criminal in my view and an embarrassment. 

for soccer, I'm pretty sure FIFA limits the number of pro soccer players to 2 per team, the rest have to like junior level guys. FIFA doesn't want the olympics to compete with the world cup, EUFA, COPA etc. I think soccer would be much more intense at the games if FIFA didn't pull their usual crap. They might be the only international sporting body more powerful than the IOC and they don't want to relinquish any power to them so they make olympic soccer a junior level tournament. 

Baseball and softball were cut due to the USA overwhelming other countries year after year, correct? So, why is mens and womens bball still in? USA kills it every cycle. Mens desteoyed china yesterday and womens crushed some other team today by like 60 pts or someting. Clearly, the ioc wont because it is a huge money grab for them to keep it in, but the same reasons are there for it to be removed, correct? Or am i wrong on the reason for baseball/softball being removed?

I think basketball is a fine sport but where is there an element of sportsmanship in NBA stars hammering other nations every 4 years? It’s like asking city kids from around the world to send their best wranglers, ropers and bull riders to face an all-star team consisting of the pick of the litter from the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association in a "bonafide" Olympic rodeo.Instead of being a worldwide competitive sport that defines the Olympic spirit; the Olympic rodeo like the Olympic basketball tournament would be so lop-sided that it becomes irrelevant…

Edited by OKnowwhut

The US didn't win a gold medal in basketball in 2004, and that was when they sent some of the best NBA players. They actually lost 2 games in those Olympics and lost a few games leading up to the Olympics in that year too.  So even though they've dominated since then, and before then, it doesn't mean it'll always happen. 

I do have to say that during the run up to the 1992 Barcelona games, I actually got to see the original Dream Team play live in person at the Tournament of the Americas in Portland.  That was the single greatest team ever assembled for any sport.  Even though they were never in danger of losing a game and trounced everyone easily, it was still fun to watch.  I didn't think about it as witnessing history, because I was a kid, but I was in awe of the fact I got to see the greatest players in the game at their peak or just past it. 

I agree that any sport where the top competitors don't take the Olympics seriously should be removed.  

Basketball my not always be competitive, but it draws most of the best in the world.

Golf has no business in the Olympics.  Baseball also doesn't.  

Boxing has had talk recently of pros competing and every top promoter in the world said they would forbid their guys.  That's a shame because I think pro boxers fighting for their country would be big.  Instead we'll probably end up with MMA in the Olympics before too long.  It is too viewer friendly and internationally competitive to not be included at some point.

Baseball isn't in the Olympics.  I think the U23 thing that is done for soccer is good and make for something different (albeit lesser event) from the World Cup.  Baseball could follow a similar path (fi it gets re-instated, its inclusion in Tokyo is a one time event)

This whole mindset of "____ shouldn't be an Olympic sport," or "______ isn't a sport at all," or "wrestling deserves more events than ______," is so lame.  

Do we really think whining about other events is going to help get weight classes added back? 

I can know 100% that wrestling isn't getting any weight classes back and still think Trampoline/speed walking don't belong in the Olympics.  I can also think Olympic sports should be the pinnacle or near pinnacle rather than a youth group (soccer) or a 2nd tier event (Golf), and still know that has nothing to do with wrestling weight classes. 

I'm personally fine with 6 Olympic weight classes.  I'd personally prefer 9 men's freestyle, 9 women's freestyle and no greco, but that is just personal preference.  Either way I am fine with the number of weight classes.  I think we should have 10-12 in non-Olympic years and just appreciate the awesome matchups produced by the fewer weight classes in Olympic years.  

for soccer, I'm pretty sure FIFA limits the number of pro soccer players to 2 per team, the rest have to like junior level guys. FIFA doesn't want the olympics to compete with the world cup, EUFA, COPA etc. I think soccer would be much more intense at the games if FIFA didn't pull their usual crap. They might be the only international sporting body more powerful than the IOC and they don't want to relinquish any power to them so they make olympic soccer a junior level tournament.

Olympic teams are only allowed to use they're U-23 players and 2 players from their senior team. There really is no such thing as amatuer soccer even most of the U18 players are technically pros.

There is no good reason I can think of why there should only be six weights per style in wrestling. Period. I do not buy any of the arguments. Wrestling is a cheap sport to run. The matches are short.  You can hold the competitions virtually anywhere, they do not require specialized venues and construction (think BMX or tennis or swimming or construction or track and field) In short, the amount of resources to stage a wrestling match as compared to virtually any other sport are miniscule. And the marginal costs of adding matches are even less. So what's the excuse for not having more weight classes? TV time? Who cares? Stream it and only show the finals live. It'd be nice to have lots of TV coverage but I'd give it up to have eight or nine weight classes. Or is it parity? Has someone argued that wrestling with 18 weight classes is overrepresented? I would dispute that. Just look at the total of competition. In the Rio Olympics eight swimmers square off in each event in each round and event. In a venue the size of the swimming venue you could have eight wrestling matches and sixteen wrestler could compete simultaneously. Swimming has a lot of downtime between events and heats. In fact, I doubt that there are many sports that are as efficient as wrestling in churning through matches. I don't see what precious resource would be used up by expanding the number of weight classes. 

Edited by BigTimeFan

There is no good I can think of why there should only be six weights per style in wrestling. Period. I do not buy any of the arguments. Wrestling is a cheap sport to run. The matches are short.  You can hold the competitions virtually anywhere, they do not require specialized venues and construction (think BMX or tennis or swimming or construction or track and field) In short, the amount of resources to stage a wrestling match as compared to virtually any other sport are miniscule. And the marginal costs of adding matches are even less. So what's the excuse for not having more weight classes? TV time? Who cares? Stream it and only show the finals live. It'd be nice to have lots of TV coverage but I'd give it up to have eight or nine weight classes. Or is it parity? Has someone argued that wrestling with 18 weight classes is overrepresented? I would dispute that. Just look at the total of competition. In the Rio Olympics eight swimmers square off in each event in each round and event. In a venue the size of the swimming venue you could have eight wrestling matches and sixteen wrestler could compete simultaneously. Swimming has a lot of downtime between events and heats. In fact, I doubt that there are many sports that are as efficient as wrestling in churning through matches. I don't see what precious resource would be used up by expanding the number of weight classes. 

Gotta have gender equity first before adding more weight classes. We currently have a disparity between men and women concerning the total number of events that they compete in. Add women's Greco and then go after more weights for all the styles. Don't make the gap in the number of events competed in between men and women even larger.

I believe synchronized circle jerk would be an awesome addition to the games :o

Gotta have gender equity first before adding more weight classes. We currently have a disparity between men and women concerning the total number of events that they compete in. Add women's Greco and then go after more weights for all the styles. Don't make the gap in the number of events competed in between men and women even larger.

Greco should have to fend for itself. 

Rio is a huge test for Wrestling. The lack of a new uniform isn't a good start in my opinion.

Two styles near identical isn't a good choice. Wrestling needs one style similar to freestyle and more points for high amplitude throws from clinch position.

Edited by WreslingSuperior

Soccer for sure should be mentioned here as well. 

Any sport in which the ultimate prize is NOT an Olympic Gold should be high on the list. Germany, e.g. sends a U23 squad to compete just for experience. They could care less about Olympic soccer.

Baseball, for sure, Golf, for sure.

Basketball, perhaps should be refined so that multi millionaires are not allowed to play, making it more competitive.

Soccer is one of the "big" sports. Too, popularity wise by far the most popular sport on the planet. Why would you get rid of it when you have

trampoline and table tennis among other "sports"? Puhleeze.