newyorkwrestler

list of summer olympic sports that shouldn't be in the games

synchronized swimming has to be the stupidest thing i've seen thus far, the fact that this is an olympic sport infuriates me

It's either this or cheer leading becomes an Olympic sport.   At least with the swimming part, it employees a lifeguard.  

Synchro is a legit sport. It is no different than gymnastics or diving.

If anyone wants to see some good looks inside the sport, I suggest you check out these documentaries:

- Synchronized Swimming: The Pursuit of Excellence

- Sync or Swim

I have a question about that other synchronized sport, synch diving. Was it even really a wide spread competitive sport before it got added to the Olympics? I think it was fairly recent, 1996 or later maybe.

I have a question about that other synchronized sport, synch diving. Was it even really a wide spread competitive sport before it got added to the Olympics? I think it was fairly recent, 1996 or later maybe.

. Heck most of the time two top divers just agree to pair up right before the trials and give the event a try as another chance to medal. I've seen both a interview and a athlete spotlight video in which that's how two of the synchro teams were formed. Any sport where someone can just team up on a whim and have a shot at a medal shouldn't be in the Olympics. The only reason they even have it is to highlight more diving events since it's a TV draw. Edited by MadMardigain

it is not a legit sport. It may be a legit dance routine but is no sport. just because it happens in a pool and not a wood floor doesn't mean its a sport.

sport

spôrt/

noun

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Syncro is very challenging. They are athletes.

And the vast majority of them were from par tierre. No takedowns= boring. 

So what. Rather see someone get pitched from parterre than getting a reach around from someone acting like they are trying to do a cradle.

Edited by Smedley

Where are you from Smedley?

I am from the US. Don't get me wrong, I like NCAA wrestling, but IMO it does not compare to freestyle and greco. I also would like to see the US wrestlers do well, but I firmly believe that since 1996 we have sucked overall as a nation and I keep my expectations very low when it comes to overall medal count.

sport

spôrt/

noun

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Syncro is very challenging. They are athletes.

My personal definition of a sport is a dynamic (can't be stationary)  physical activity in which your opponent(s) can directly stop you from scoring, and the athlete is primarily performing work (i.e. not a horse, car, boat, etc.)

I call anything where you compete indirectly, via a judge or timer, a competition

Not assigning a value judgement to either, but I find it useful to distinguish things

My personal definition of a sport is a dynamic (can't be stationary)  physical activity in which your opponent(s) can directly stop you from scoring, and the athlete is primarily performing work (i.e. not a horse, car, boat, etc.)

I call anything where you compete indirectly, via a judge or timer, a competition

Not assigning a value judgement to either, but I find it useful to distinguish things

By that definition, lawn bowling, croquet, shuffle board, and curling are sports.