Sign in to follow this  
andegre

Penn State vs Iowa Dual will be either 1/20 or 1/22

Will be a great dual with national title implications on the line. I think I'm most excited to see the Kemmerer/nolf match but 125, 133, 176 and 285 are also all interesting. Will nevills prove his blur chip status was deserved? Will he be able to stay healthy enough to wrestle even?

Kemerer was defeated by Sorenson 4-1 this off season. Suspect he is moving up because he has to, not because he has out grown the weight. He has the frame to eventually become a full sized 157 but he isn't there yet. Nolf really should control that match. 

Unless multiple wrestlers are out of their line up, penn state should win. Nolf will bonus kemerer.

Kemerer was defeated by Sorenson 4-1 this off season. Suspect he is moving up because he has to, not because he has out grown the weight. He has the frame to eventually become a full sized 157 but he isn't there yet. Nolf really should control that match. 

I am surprised to read this..............

They are actually way too close(with too many unknowns) to predict an outcome without some form of bias.

They both have 2 clear cut favorites.  Iowa has Gilman and Clark.  PSU has Retherford and Nolf. Nickal is a favorite, but I don't see it as clear as the other 4.  Gulibon should be a slight favorite(could be more than slight depending on which version shows up).  Brooks is a slight favorite.  After that, it is a pure guessing game.  I guess it would be fair to favor Joseph(due to the redshirt season) over Marinelli, but they are both still unproven Freshmen.  197 is a complete question mark for both teams and 285 has both guys coming back from injury.

I like to predict as much as anyone but, right now, I could have a better chance throwing darts to pick winners!

Edited by MSU158

They are actually way too close(with too many unknowns) to predict an outcome without some form of bias.

They both have 2 clear cut favorites.  Iowa has Gilman and Clark.  PSU has Retherford and Nolf. Nickal is a favorite, but I don't see it as clear as the other 4.  Gulibon should be a slight favorite(could be more than slight depending on which version shows up).  Brooks is a slight favorite.  After that, it is a pure guessing game.  I guess it would be fair to favor Joseph(due to the redshirt season) over Marinelli, but they are both still unproven Freshmen.  197 is a complete question mark for both teams and 285 has both guys coming back from injury.

I like to predict as much as anyone but, right now, I could have a better chance throwing darts to pick winners!

If you had to throw a dart, which would you throw the dart at right now?  It's not like taking wild, premature guesses is bad on an offseason message board.

I am surprised to read this..............

And I'm not surprised you felt compelled to complain about us. Again. Face it, we are in your head and you can't do anything about it despite your insistance that you will ignore us.

Edited by TBar1977

And I'm not surprised you felt compelled to complain about us. Again. Face it, we are in your head and you can't do anything about it despite your insistance that you will ignore us.

Complaint?  I was truly shocked.  Honestly, I was.  Your responses were on par with hearing a Born Again Christian saying you must accept Jesus Christ as your savior or Hillary Clinton telling a lie.  They are such absolutes that all you have to do is type your name down in a thread like this and we should know what your post would be!

Edited by MSU158

Going by what’s listed on this link here’s what I think will happen.  

125 Gillman over Suriano by MD 4-0 Iowa

133 Clark over Cortez by Pin 10-0 Iowa

141 Guilbon over Turk by MD 10-4 Iowa

149 Retherford over Sorensen by MD 10-8 Iowa

157 Nolf over Kemerer by Tech 13-10 PSU

165 Joseph over Marinelli by decision 16-10 PSU

174 Nickal over Meyer by MD 20-10 PSU

184 Brooks over McCutchen by decision 20-13 PSU

197 Holloway over Cassar by decision 20-16 PSU

285 Stoll over Nevills by decision 20-19 PSU

A couple of these are “Gut Feel” choices. 197 is a total guess but based upon the history of both wrestlers I think Iowa will win that one. I am also giving Suriano the benefit of the doubt here and only having it a MD. Gillman could easily put up a tech or a fall here. I’m also giving Sorensen a bit of credit from having faced Retherford before and being able to keep it to a MD. It too could end up a tech of fall.

Now I don’t think this will be the lineup as I’m still not convinced Marinelli will be wrestling this year. Iowa does not have a history of starting true freshmen and I expect him to RS.   

A couple of these are “Gut Feel” choices. 197 is a total guess but based upon the history of both wrestlers I think Iowa will win that one. I am also giving Suriano the benefit of the doubt here and only having it a MD. Gillman could easily put up a tech or a fall here. I’m also giving Sorensen a bit of credit from having faced Retherford before and being able to keep it to a MD. It too could end up a tech of fall.

Now I don’t think this will be the lineup as I’m still not convinced Marinelli will be wrestling this year. Iowa does not have a history of starting true freshmen and I expect him to RS.   

If Iowa's chances for a victory come down to Clark pinning Cortez, it's going to be a long day for the Hawk fans. 

Complaint? I was truly shocked. Honestly, I was. Your responses were on par with hearing a Born Again Christian saying you must accept Jesus Christ as your savior or Hillary Clinton telling a lie. They are such absolutes that all you have to do is type your name down in a thread like this and we should know what your post would be!

So you read a post from me and didn't realize it was simply my opinion. Got it. Yawn.

Nickal is quite obviously better than Meyer, not sure that is a topic of discussion unless Meyer improved by leaps and bounds this off season. 

125 - Gilman dec. Sauriano 3-0 Iowa. I see Gilman coming out on top here but Sauriano is hard to score on and never gives up too much. He also has the motor to keep up with Gilman which a lot of other guys lack.

133 - Clark dec. Cortez 6-0 Iowa. unless Clark gets going on top I think these guys are pretty close. Clark hasn't impressed me much from neutral but is an absolute machine on top. Still figure he will come away with the W for the hawks.

141 - Gulibon dec. Turk 6-3 Iowa. Hopefully another summer of growth and muscle building helps Gulibon, he has the potential to AA again or repeat what he did last season. I think he's still better than Turk either way

149 - Retherford dec. Sorenson 6-6. Sorenson will stall. He doesn't do much when he's trying to be offensive anyways and he will wrestle to keep it close. That's the best he can do to help his team and he knows it. 

157 - Nolf MDec. Kemmerer 10-6 Penn State. A controlled win. Kemmerer is good, but can't match the pace or talent of Nolf.

165 - Joseph dec. Marinelli 13-6 Penn State. Joseph just looks a little better. He was able to take Hall down and defend some of his shots. Hall steam rolled Marinelli. I know A vs B vs C comparisons lead to risky predictions at best but that's all we have to go on here. Joseph controls it, but Marinelli keeps it within 3 or 4 points as long as he doesn't go feet to back.

174 - Nickal MDec. Meyer 20 - 6 Penn State.This is going to be a thumping. Meyer always starts matches slow which is the worst thing you can do against a guy like Bo Nickal (who I expect to be significantly improved from last season)

184 - Brooks dec. McCutcheon 20 - 9 Penn State. The mullet is good, especially when it's not March. It'll be close but Brooks should win this one.

197 - Holloway dec Cassar 20-12 Penn State. Will Cassar be healthy this season and be the guy? I think he reinjured himself in the off season but I could be mistaken.

285 - Stoll dec. Nevills 20 - 15 Penn State final. Heavyweight chess match. Stoll comes out ahead, unless Varner and Cael get some solid hours in with Nevills and get him ready.

Should be a great dual - I wish I didn't have to coach a tournament that weekend because if would be great to go to. I'm sure this will lead to a tremendous atmosphere.

I can't see Iowa putting up ten team points in the first two weights.  Suriano is extremely tough to score on.  

The really bizarre part is immediately after making that comment MSU went on to agree with us.

"They both have 2 clear cut favorites.  Iowa has Gilman and Clark.  PSU has Retherford and Nolf."

I never said I didn't agree with you(Tbar not so much).  I simply said I was "suprised" by your responses.

Maybe one of these days he'll stop starting this crap every time a PSU fan posts their opinion.

Some PSU fans are pretty tough not to argue with, because every time someone has a different opinion, they come out firing blanks.

But I am not sure what MSU was surprised to read-maybe that Kemmerer isn't choosing to move up on his own?