Sign in to follow this  
andegre

Penn State vs Iowa Dual will be either 1/20 or 1/22

Some PSU fans are pretty tough not to argue with, because every time someone has a different opinion, they come out firing blanks.

But I am not sure what MSU was surprised to read-maybe that Kemmerer isn't choosing to move up on his own?

What blank got fired in this thread? That we think PSU will beat Iowa or that Nolf will bonus Kemerer?

Pretty outrageous stuff, huh?

He's a true freshman against a 5th year SR who was in the finals last season. He'll get scored on. 

In the finals the past 2 seasons

2016 - Gilman vs Megaludis

2015 - Tomasallo vs Moisey 

2014 - Delgado vs Garrett (Clark was at 125 for Iowa)

Will be a great dual with national title implications on the line. I think I'm most excited to see the Kemmerer/nolf match but 125, 133, 176 and 285 are also all interesting. Will nevills prove his blur chip status was deserved? Will he be able to stay healthy enough to wrestle even?

From watching Kemmerer at universities, I just do not see him big enough for 157 to be competitive.

Even though Kemmerer and Nolf have probably worked out a lot with each other through HS, I see Nolf with the major working on a tech.

Edited by paboom

What blank got fired in this thread? That we think PSU will beat Iowa or that Nolf will bonus Kemerer?

Pretty outrageous stuff, huh?

i was making fun of one of your fellow fans, who thankfully has not posted here for a while!

What do you know that fires blanks?

125:  GIlman FALL Suriano

133:  Clark DEC Cortez

141:  Gulibon DEC Turk/?

149:  Retherford DEC Sorenson (could be a MD)

157:  Nolf MD Kemerer

165:  Joseph DEC Marinelli

174:  Nickal DEC Meyer

184:  Brooks DEC McCutcheon

197:  Holloway DEC ?  I have no idea who PSU is wrestling here.  If Cassar, I'd probably pick him, but who can trust that shoulder now?

HW:  Stoll DEC Nevills

18-16 Iowa  A few moving parts here, but going to be a tight dual.

125: Gilman MD Suriano (11-3)  Iowa 4 PSU 0

133: Clark DEC Cortez (7-3) Iowa 7 PSU 0

141: Gulibon DEC Turk (9-5) Iowa 7 PSU 3

149: Retherford DEC Sorensen (6-1) Iowa 7 PSU 6

157: Nolf DEC Kemerer (8-4) PSU 9 Iowa 7

165: Joseph DEC Marinelli (6-5) PSU 12 Iowa 7

174: Nickal DEC Meyer (15-8) PSU 15 Iowa 7

184: Brooks DEC McCutcheon (7-4) PSU 15 Iowa 10

197: Holloway DEC Cassar (6-4) PSU 15 Iowa 13

285: Stoll DEC Nevills (5-4) Iowa 16 PSU 15 

Winner: Iowa over PSU 16-15 at CHA home field advantage. 

Going to be one hell of a dual, I'm sure there will be at least 2 matches that do not go according to 'plan'.  

Most interesting matches from my P.O.V. :

-Kemerer vs Nolf : Think Kemerer is going to surprise a lot of people this next season. 

-Marinelli vs Joseph: Very excited for this one, hoping Marinelli doesn't RS.  I think this will be a lot closer than most think.

-I think both 197 and 285 will be huge for winning the dual, far more important for iowa to win those 2 than PSU. 

You folks must be bored...Iowa may take 125 & 133 but that is not a given...141-184 will be PSU...Mr. Varner will solidify 197 & HWT...So the best the Hawks can hope for is a 6-4 split but it will most likely be an 8-2 split...Looking forward to 2017!!!

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

Edited by CTMopar

Will be a great dual with national title implications on the line. I think I'm most excited to see the Kemmerer/nolf match but 125, 133, 176 and 285 are also all interesting. Will nevills prove his blur chip status was deserved? Will he be able to stay healthy enough to wrestle even?

There may be implications, but Iowa won't be winning any more Titles. Current coaching is not up to the task.

They will still be a solid program placing often from 2nd to 7th, but their run of #1 is all remembering as they choke when it is all on the line.

Some PSU fans are pretty tough not to argue with, because every time someone has a different opinion, they come out firing blanks.

But I am not sure what MSU was surprised to read-maybe that Kemmerer isn't choosing to move up on his own?

Jerry Sandusky, anyone?

There may be implications, but Iowa won't be winning any more Titles. Current coaching is not up to the task.

They will still be a solid program placing often from 2nd to 7th, but their run of #1 is all remembering as they choke when it is all on the line.

You are making me want to root for Iowa

125 Gillman over Suriano by DEC

Suriano has had a spectacular high school career. 159-0. 4x NJ, 4x Beast of the East, S32. Lots of high quality h.s. wins. Top 5 in the P4P. rankings. But a freshman going against an NCAA finalist. Gilman should win this match. Not predicting bonus, though, as Suriano is tough to score on.  

133 Clark over Cortez by DEC

These guys wrestled at Midlands a couple of years ago and Clark won 6-2. Cortez should be a preseason top 5, but Clark should be #1. 

141 Guilbon over Carton or Turk by DEC

If Gulibon improves in his 2nd year at 141 by the same amount he improved his 2nd year at 133 then change this to a win by MAJOR.  

149 Retherford over Sorensen by MD 

I like Zain to win by Major. No explanation is really necessary. 

157 Nolf over Kemerer by Tech Fall

Kemerer had a nice rs year, but at 149. He will do pretty well at 157 due to his technical skill and length, but taking on a guy like Nolf is another thing. I think Kemerer will struggle to not get taken down repeatedly. I think this ends up in a TF. 

165 Joseph over Marinelli by DEC

Joseph really showed a lot of physical maturity in his matches with A. Valencia, Massa, and Joe Smith in freestyle. Cenzo has a lot of technical skill as well. I like him to beat Marinelli. 

174 Nickal over Meyer by DEC or MD

Leaning MD here. Bo is too quick for most wrestlers, and this includes Meyer. . 

184 Brooks over McCutchen by DEC

A perfectly healthy McCutcheon is probably a toss up with Brooks, but I have to favor Sammy here. Only by DEC though. They met last year and McCutcheon was in the middle of being often injured and Sammy won only by DEC. 

197 Cassar over Hollaway by DEC

Assuming Cassar is 100%, I like him in this match up. Cael and Varner will have him ready to go. 

Hwt. Stoll and Nevills TOSS UP

Nick Nevills is funny as $hit, but Sam Stoll may have the best anti commie Twitter in all of college wrestling. Gotta love that. But when is Sam gonna be back 100%??

Nick is training hard every day and for months now (recovering from torn pec) while Sam (correct me if I am wrong) is still recovering from his own  knee injury. Toss up. 

A lot of fair comments about this dual - which will be close, because it happens in CHA.

One thing I just don't get is the love affair with Marinelli and the idea that he is going to stick with Joseph as a trFR - one poster has him going down 6-5.  I get that he is the highest rated recruit coming in for Iowa after a few years of subpar recruiting and he is being hyped by the Black & Gold hype machine (you could probably say the same for Cassar with the B/W machine when he has done relatively little in folkstyle).  He may turn out to be very good, but that is projecting some serious growth over the next few months.

He wrestled Hall this year and was handled.  I don't recall him wrestling anyone else near the kind of super elite HS level since the last time he wrestled Manville - who is almost universally derided here - in a tough OT win.  He looked like a 157 wrestling in a fairly mediocre 160 bracket (for Ironman).  I know he went 170 postseason, but that was probably for the challenge being Ohio D2.

I don't see him being able to stay with Joseph at all at this time.  And it's not like the Brands are churning out these superstar upper middleweights every year.  I really think he will have a very, very difficult time AAing as a trFR - again, unless we are projecting a big improvement.

What am I missing?

A lot of fair comments about this dual - which will be close, because it happens in CHA.

One thing I just don't get is the love affair with Marinelli and the idea that he is going to stick with Joseph as a trFR - one poster has him going down 6-5.  I get that he is the highest rated recruit coming in for Iowa after a few years of subpar recruiting and he is being hyped by the Black & Gold hype machine (you could probably say the same for Cassar with the B/W machine when he has done relatively little in folkstyle).  He may turn out to be very good, but that is projecting some serious growth over the next few months.

He wrestled Hall this year and was handled.  I don't recall him wrestling anyone else near the kind of super elite HS level since the last time he wrestled Manville - who is almost universally derided here - in a tough OT win.  He looked like a 157 wrestling in a fairly mediocre 160 bracket (for Ironman).  I know he went 170 postseason, but that was probably for the challenge being Ohio D2.

I don't see him being able to stay with Joseph at all at this time.  And it's not like the Brands are churning out these superstar upper middleweights every year.  I really think he will have a very, very difficult time AAing as a trFR - again, unless we are projecting a big improvement.

What am I missing?

The fact that Joseph hasn't done anything to prove he is that far ahead of Marinelli?  They are both 0-0 in NCAA competition.  It's not like people are picking Marinelli over Joseph.  Many simply believe Marinelli will be competitive and I don't see calling for him to lose a close match to a Redshirt Freshman as being all that outlandish...............

Marinelli's style is very well suited for Folkstyle.  The Marinelli-Hall match was 2-1 going into the third period, so it was very close and toughly contested, but Hall's superior size and skill won out with a couple of sets of backs in the third period.  No doubt who was the better wrestler, but the score doesn't really tell the whole story.  Marinelli was in deep and attacking Hall very well (and Hall the same) for the first two periods.  Hall was just better, at least for now.  I'm off topic, though:  Marinelli's style is perfectly fitted for Iowa Folkstyle wrestling.  Could very much be in the same vein as Metcalf from a style perspective.

I agree Marinelli is a perfect fit for the Brands and Iowa and I am bullish on him in part because of that. I would not be surprised to see some big steps in his development. He wrestles like a bigger version of the Brands, even using many of the same moves. He is at the top of my list of incoming HSers I think will develop the most in their first two years of college.

Interesting, personally I'd be concerned with any recruit nicknamed the bull coming out of high school. That tells me he has been winning by overpowering his opponents in high school and that isn't going to happen in Division I wrestling, especially at 165 next year. You need speed and technique to go with that horsepower. Guess we'll see. 

Vak, you can kid yourself all you want about the Hall match but the score after two periods means nothing. Marinelli expended a lot of energy keeping it close, was ridden for over a minute in the second period (no RT point) and then ended up getting majored anyway. You say "The score didn't tell the whole story", well with additional back points per college rules, a riding time point and another minute of wrestling, yes I agree, would of been a lot worse in college…HA!  

Edited by Flying-Tiger

The fact that Joseph hasn't done anything to prove he is that far ahead of Marinelli?  They are both 0-0 in NCAA competition.

By that logic Ke Shawn Hayes and Iowa's Jacob Woodward, both 0-0 in NCAA comp., are about the same.  Except they aren't. 

By that logic Ke Shawn Hayes and Iowa's Jacob Woodward, both 0-0 in NCAA comp., are about the same.  Except they aren't. 

Except no one was saying they were about the same.  Everyone was picking Joseph to win, just many believed that Marinelli would be able to keep it reasonably close and my argument was that Joseph hadn't shown enough for us to just automatically assume he would blow Alex's doors off and I thought the comment that we should was off base with the data at hand................