CoachWrestling

Mark Cody steps down as coach at Oklahoma

Why didn't Cody go through this year? Seems to be treating the University poorly with this. Another school will have to look long and hard at it before considering him for anything.

Usually in these cases the "resignation" isn't exactly voluntary - but doing it this way helps everyone save face. My guess is that it wasn't Cody's choice.

If I was interested, I would be very cautious.  Cody is a sharp guy and an accomplished coach.  I would have to wonder why he couldn't make it work.  Regarding Pop, I would stay down in NC and keep building that program up.  Great place to recruit kids to if he continues to have success.

The right coach is someone who can recruit comparably to John Smith (obviously, only a couple of guys can match him so recruiting as well as him is out of the question). Not exactly an essy task, to say the least. The OSU/OU dynamic is not that different from Iowa/Iowa State. Even Cael (is there a better recruiter in college today??), who did quite well at ISU, played second fiddle to the Iowa legacy and the Brands while in Iowa.

I believe Cody was qualified to administer the program and had the right mindset, but he just couldn't get the horses to build a program the caliber of the old "golden era" OU teams. It happens when you're a stone's throw away from the most historically successful program in the country run by the country's GOAT wrestler.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Shocker for sure, hopefully the program at OU does well under Michael Lightner. Hopefully Coach Cody can also land on his feet somewhere as well. As for what happened, I think that there was some sort of impass between Coach Cody and the A.D. My guess is that It was most likely due to some sort financial disagreement .

Generally speaking, Cody seemed to be more successful at American.  He did a great job of developing talent and overachieving.  Oklahoma presented some very tough circumstances.  He didn't win the recruiting wars very often and seemed stuck in the shadow of Smith and Okie State as well as Manning at nearby Nebraska. He had one seemingly "super team" but it didn't come together.  Cody has always seemed like a good guy and coach.  Perhaps he'll find a new situation that better suits him.

Oklahoma might simply be the next Iowa State--a team with great tradition that can no longer compete with the highest echelon teams.   

Edited by silver-medal

Spates was a very good coach for a long time, but he never really connected with the state of Oklahoma.  I love the guy as a coach and personally, but I remember bringing the HS team I coached from Texas for the Oklahoma Gold team camp, and I was shocked to find that the dozens of teams were almost exclusively from outside Oklahoma (mostly Kansas, Missouri, and Texas).  No in state teams would come.  Spates recruited the northeast really well, but wasn't great recruiting in state.  Locals resented his lack of homegrown kids.  So when his performance suffered they clamored for his removal.  But they replaced him with a guy who had few ties to the state.  I honestly think it's the kind of job where you need local ties.  The HS wrestling in Oklahoma has been at an all time high the past few years, and Henson got more of the talent to come to WV than Cody did to OU.  

OU is THE university in the state for everything other than wrestling.  It is a beautiful campus that is better than OSU in almost every non-wrestling way.  They need an Oklahoma hero who can energize the fan base and make the in state kids consider OU with OSU (or at least ahead of 2nd line out of state programs).  I'd give the job to someone like Teyon Ware, Johnny Hendricks, Mark/Chris Perry, maybe Hazewinkel (out of state HS kid, but in state long enough), before I'd give it to a more qualified assistant or HC from a small program.  Are you really going to find a coach who comes with better credentials than Cody did?  And how'd that work out?  They just don't like outsiders in Oklahoma.  Get a guy with star power who can put together a good staff and try to succeed off of the excitement.