CoachWrestling

Mark Cody steps down as coach at Oklahoma

Reportedly those donors want Andre Metzger to be the head coach. Joe C isn't someone who takes orders from alumni. However the Oklahoma economy is down due to low oil prices and the football stadium is in the middle of being redone. They need to redo the Switzer Center and the Pressbox, plus new locker rooms. Enough money will talk loudly.

Reportedly those donors want Andre Metzger to be the head coach. Joe C isn't someone who takes orders from alumni. However the Oklahoma economy is down due to low oil prices and the football stadium is in the middle of being redone. They need to redo the Switzer Center and the Pressbox, plus new locker rooms. Enough money will talk loudly.

If Andre Metzger is hired at Oklahoma, it will be one of the strangest hires that I have seen in a long time.  Did these donors just show up from a time machine? I'll believe it when I see it.  What's the last hire that would equal this in strangeness?

I think they should go with Schultz.  One of if not the most decorated wrestler from that program, both in college and internationally.  10 years of head coaching experience at the DI level, a masters degree and experience teaching college courses.  Not to mention one of the best technical wrestlers from the US.  I know it's a longshot but they should consider him. 

I think they should go with Schultz.  One of if not the most decorated wrestler from that program, both in college and internationally.  10 years of head coaching experience at the DI level, a masters degree and experience teaching college courses.  Not to mention one of the best technical wrestlers from the US.  I know it's a longshot but they should consider him. 

No, they shouldn't consider him. There are many reasons why you don't hire him to lead a big time program, the least of which is the fact that he hasn't coached in a D1 room in decades.  

So far we have Metzger and Schultz..Are they looking at Minkel too?

How do these football donors even know who Metzger is, let alone lobby for his hiring so effectively that Cody got canned at the final hour before the new season starts? The whole thing is strange. I don't buy it.

Agreed.  Why on God's good earth would a football donor give a rat's arse about the wrestling program?....let alone threaten to withhold the donation

unless X happened within the wrestling program.  Total made up BS.

Joe Castigilione cares about all sports at OU. He tried to hire Rob Koll who wouldn't work for Jack Spates. His history is that he won't hire an OU grad as a head coach. I got a report that some major football donors held back $2.5 million in donations for football unless Cody was dismissed. A call today told me Mark was blindsided when he went to meet the AD. He had just introduced his new squad two days before. I was told last spring his contract wouldn't be extended.

Michael Lightner has shown he can coach producing Kendric Maple and Cody Brewer as NCAA champs. Don't knowvwho will coach the upper weights. Hopefully they have a successful season which will include OSU, Michigan Missouri and Minnesotabas home duals.

I can't square the two bolded statements, unless one of them is from BigAppIe (Capital i) and one is from BigApple (lowercase L).

Agreed.  Why on God's good earth would a football donor give a rat's arse about the wrestling program?....let alone threaten to withhold the donation

unless X happened within the wrestling program.  Total made up BS.

Ha, you're right.

Wouldn't that just make them a wrestling donor? Or at worst, an all-sports booster?

Metzger is a scratch golfer and had a company that installed large sound systems for primarily large churches in the Oklahoma and Texas markets. Those 20 years gave him a chance to build up relationships

.i'm guessing some guys who are big donors decided a change needed to be made. The decision to not renew Cody's contract was apparently made last spring by the AD. When the money was held back may have happened later.

Andre is around 53, but is in the shape of someone in their 30s. He is a heck of a salesman and one of the best wrestling technicians I've ever seen. I'll be interested in who winds up with the job.

I have some questions.

1. How many dynamic "committed to coaching" type players are really out there looking for work that can do better than Cody at OU?  (Please don't trifle me with Metzger and Schultz please)

2. Cody has rooted his family in the Norman area.  He is clearly a stand up guy.  He would be a top candidate for any mid major school D1 coaching job so does he move and start over somewhere else?  

Here we are again but in the same old discussion about what it takes to run a top notch program.

They better know what they are doing.   Guys that can recruit, coach, develop, and promote big time D1 programs don't grow on trees planted in the back yards of donors.

1. How many dynamic "committed to coaching" type players are really out there looking for work that can do better than Cody at OU?

Answer:  Zero

No top-notch guy is going to come anywhere near this program as long as John Smith rules the recruiting roost in this geography.  And certainly

no top-notch coach is going to put his career at risk by affiliating himself with a delusional administration that yearns for/expects the glory days of OU wrestling

to rise again like a phoenix out of the mist - that's not rooted in reality.

Metzger is a scratch golfer and had a company that installed large sound systems for primarily large churches in the Oklahoma and Texas markets. Those 20 years gave him a chance to build up relationships

.i'm guessing some guys who are big donors decided a change needed to be made. The decision to not renew Cody's contract was apparently made last spring by the AD. When the money was held back may have happened later.

Andre is around 53, but is in the shape of someone in their 30s. He is a heck of a salesman and one of the best wrestling technicians I've ever seen. I'll be interested in who winds up with the job.

Andre is at least 57 this year. He graduated class of 78, but recall he spent a year in Japan prior.

He is a major stud though, and likely would have been a multiple world champ if not for a guy named Fadzaev who was also sort of decent.

1. How many dynamic "committed to coaching" type players are really out there looking for work that can do better than Cody at OU?

Answer:  Zero

No top-notch guy is going to come anywhere near this program as long as John Smith rules the recruiting roost in this geography.  And certainly
no top-notch coach is going to put his career at risk by affiliating himself with a delusional administration that yearns for/expects the glory days of OU wrestling
to rise again like a phoenix out of the mist - that's not rooted in reality.

You are hilarious.  You say OU doesn't care about wrestling and then you say their standards are too high.  You say they yearn for the glory days like we are talking about the 70s, but their last top 5 finish was 2010.  

According to D1CW here is Cody's recruiting since he arrived (not counting transfers).

2012 - Brad Johnson, Clark Glass, Matt Reed, Ross Larson, Kyle Garcia

2013 - Oliver Pierce, Shayne Tucker, Sean Williams, Danny Chaid, John Townsend, 

2014 - Ryan Milhoff, Lance Dixon, Joel Dixon, Andrew Dixon, Jacob Rubio, Cale Wilson, Nathan Marek, 

2015 - Sean Deshazer, Davion Jeffries, Dylan Lucas, Christian Moody

2016 - Jeremy Thomas, Justin Thomas, Dalton Duffield, 

So his best recruit in 5 years is #17Oliver Pierce, who is now an above average 157 for Arizona State.  

During that time all the traditional powers (PSU, OSU, tOSU, Iowa) plus all of these schools have managed to sign a higher ranked recruit...Nebraska, NC State, Purdue, Virginia, Lehigh, Cornell, Arizona State, Princeton, Minnesota, Northern Iowa, Stanford, Virginia Tech, Iowa State Northwestern, Illinois, Michigan, Rutgers, Pitt, Rider, Wyoming, Harvard, Iowa Western (NJCAA), Notre Dame (D2), LINDSEY WILSON (NAIA). 

There is no way you can look at that and objectively think Cody was fired unfairly.  Maybe with more time he could have done better.  Maybe it was just a bad fit in both directions.  Maybe the next guy will fail as bad or worse.  But on the mat results show Cody simply wasn't doing his job very well.  

This coming year the OU lineup (as projected on wrestlestat) has 5 seniors who have never AAd, 3 unranked sophmores/juniors, and Milhoff and Jeffries.  Not only are they not good, but they are also not young or promising.  

I was talking with a friend who was a college assistant a long time ago, but who has many current contacts. He asked me for names that would consider applying for the OU job.

Brian Snyder - Nebraska

Damian Hahn - Cornell

Lou Roselli - Ohio State

Chris Bono - South Dakota State

Roger Kish - North Dakota State

Mark Branch - Wyoming

Mark Perry - Illinois

Eric Guerrero -OSU

Chris Pendleton -ASU

Jordan Burroughs isn't done competing

Mark Perry will want the last two years of IMart

Pendleton probably wouldn't because he'll have 4 years with the Valencia brothers

I would guess a Minnesota assistant who didn't get the head job would apply

Terry Brands wasn't considered last time

I think Michael Lightner will do a good enough job to warrant another year

Andre Metzger will be a way outside choice, but if money talks there may be enough to get him the job

Popolizio won't leave NCSU

None of the Penn State guys will leave.

I don't think Sammie Henson would comeback after the way he was treated.

Gene Smith when he took over as AD at ASU, then did the same thing at Ohio State. I think Joe C had his mind made up when Cody came in for the meeting last week. He quit rather than coach this year. It allows him all year with pay to seek another job.