CoachWrestling

Mark Cody steps down as coach at Oklahoma

I was talking with a friend who was a college assistant a long time ago, but who has many current contacts. He asked me for names that would consider applying for the OU job.

Brian Snyder - Nebraska

Damian Hahn - Cornell

Lou Roselli - Ohio State

Chris Bono - South Dakota State

Roger Kish - North Dakota State

Mark Branch - Wyoming

Mark Perry - Illinois

Eric Guerrero -OSU

Chris Pendleton -ASU

Jordan Burroughs isn't done competing

Mark Perry will want the last two years of IMart

Pendleton probably wouldn't because he'll have 4 years with the Valencia brothers

I would guess a Minnesota assistant who didn't get the head job would apply

Terry Brands wasn't considered last time

I think Michael Lightner will do a good enough job to warrant another year

Andre Metzger will be a way outside choice, but if money talks there may be enough to get him the job

Popolizio won't leave NCSU

None of the Penn State guys will leave.

I don't think Sammie Henson would comeback after the way he was treated.

Alright, so if just choosing from this list I'm going with....

1. Mark Branch

2. Bryan Snyder

3. Damian Hahn

...all justifiable

One question though, how would an AD rationalize not considering Terry Brands for this position?! 

The associate AD (who no longer at OU) did the interviewing last time. Bob Stoops told him to talk to Gable. Reportedly Gable wasn't impressed because of his lack of questions on wrestling. Brands wasn't interviewed I'm told (Brands, Cody, and Mark Manning were the three I recommended on the behalf of a bunch of former OUvwrestlers). This was before Spates had decided to quit.

Some notable former OU wrestlers said they wouldn't support Brands.

Personally I think Iowa won't win another NCAA title under Tom Brands. PSU has raised the level of technique in college wrestling. Iowa doesn't pin like they did under Kurdlemeier and Gable. PSU scores enough bonus points to equal a championship wrestler. That has been the reason PSU has won 5 titles under Cael.

The associate AD (who no longer at OU) did the interviewing last time. Bob Stoops told him to talk to Gable. Reportedly Gable wasn't impressed because of his lack of questions on wrestling. Brands wasn't interviewed I'm told (Brands, Cody, and Mark Manning were the three I recommended on the behalf of a bunch of former OUvwrestlers). This was before Spates had decided to quit.

Some notable former OU wrestlers said they wouldn't support Brands.

Personally I think Iowa won't win another NCAA title under Tom Brands. PSU has raised the level of technique in college wrestling. Iowa doesn't pin like they did under Kurdlemeier and Gable. PSU scores enough bonus points to equal a championship wrestler. That has been the reason PSU has won 5 titles under Cael.

All 3 are definitely solid, no question. Tough to go against alum, especially prominent alum. I just think Terry Brands at OU would be a game changer...big time...and across the whole college landscape. But I imagine there aren't many Iowa or Brands (either Brands) fans among the OU wrestling alumni base. 

While do I agree on both accounts that PSU is probably the most technically diverse team as a whole, and does rack up bonus points like crazy. I don't think they are that far ahead technically of the other top teams. Not taking anything away from the PSU staff, but another pretty big reason they have won those 5 titles is the PA location (PA itself, also being closer to OH and the tough east coast states- namely OH and NJ though). There was a reason Sanderson left ISU for a school in Pennsylvania, I think one is that wrestling is better in-state. I think Brands will be at Iowa for a while, and could definitely see them winning another title...I think their staff is definitely more technical than they get credit for.

Also though, if I was the AD at OU, Branch is who I'm going after hands down. 

Mark Perry would seem the intelligent choice here.

IMart or not, Mark Perry is a coach, and with a chance to come home?

That, and a very recognizable name in Oklahoma.

Branch is great too, but has been gone a lonnngg time since he has been on the brains of Oklahoma high schoolers.

Just my two cents.

Mark Perry would seem the intelligent choice here.

That, and a very recognizable name in Oklahoma.

Branch is great too, but has been gone a lonnngg time since he has been on the brains of Oklahoma high schoolers.

Just my two cents.

Tough to argue either of those points

EDIT: What are the odds Martinez would transfer to OU?

Edited by AZCO

I've been a fan of Mark Branch since he started coaching. However, his teams at Wyoming haven't performed well at the NCAAs. He recruited Zac Beard no. 1 ranked from Tuttle who quit after a semester. He took with him another wrestler from Oklahoma. So his recruiting in Oklahoma hasn't worked out well.

Based on recent NCAA championships someone from Penn State or Ohio State would be the obvious picks

While I don't dispute that Perry would be a good get, he left Oklahoma after his freshman year of high school and I don't think he's lived there since.  That's what, more than half his life?   He's had countless opportunities to go back, so I don't think it's a big priority for him. 

Edited by Gantry

While I don't dispute that Perry would be a good get, he left Oklahoma after his freshman year of high school and I don't think he's lived there since.  That's what, more than half his life?   He's had countless opportunities to go back, so I don't think it's a big priority for him. 

I think it's more about the job then home, but it can't hurt that he has ties to Oklahoma (or that his name is big in Oklahoma).  I wonder if Chris would join him?  Chris seems over the top competitive and not a great loser (who is).  It'd make for interesting (if not yet competitive) bedlam matches if Mark was at OU.  

I think there are plenty of coaches with equal/better credentials than Mark Perry, but recruiting is a name game to a large extent.  If Perry could put together a good staff that included at least one veteran assistant, then he might be a good fit.  

I've been a fan of Mark Branch since he started coaching. However, his teams at Wyoming haven't performed well at the NCAAs. He recruited Zac Beard no. 1 ranked from Tuttle who quit after a semester. He took with him another wrestler from Oklahoma. So his recruiting in Oklahoma hasn't worked out well.

Based on recent NCAA championships someone from Penn State or Ohio State would be the obvious picks

What happened with Zach Beard? Is he still wrestling somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andre Metzger just left my place. He said what I said about the money is correct, but a little low on the amount. He has many friends wanting him to get the job, many were OU football players when he was at OU. He hasn't made up his mind yet.

Andre Metzger just left my place. He said what I said about the money is correct, but a little low on the amount. He has many friends wanting him to get the job, many were OU football players when he was at OU. He hasn't made up his mind yet.

Is he excited about you announcing to the world that his friends got Mark Cody fired and they are now trying to buy him the OU wrestling job.  

Nobody got Cody fired other than Cody himself. He didn't deliver. Doesn't mean he's not a good coach or he won't bounce back. But for whatever reason, he didn't get the job done at OU.

I agree, I'm more talking about spreading around the inner workings.  If Metzger gets the job it's now all over the internet for the OU wrestlers to see that he was involved in the circumstances of the dismissal of their former coach.  This may not endear him to some of them. 

I agree, I'm more talking about spreading around the inner workings.  If Metzger gets the job it's now all over the internet for the OU wrestlers to see that he was involved in the circumstances of the dismissal of their former coach.  This may not endear him to some of them. 

If Metzger gets the job, I imagine you will see an exodus regardless of the circumstances with which he was hired.  It would be an unprecedented move to hire somebody so far removed from high level competition/coaching at a supposedly top program.  The hire would make absolutely no sense.  I don't care if he can Golf like Tiger Woods.  

I've been in this sport since 1960 worked for three NWHOF coaches, two were head freestyle coaches in the Olympics. Andre Metzger is probably the best technician I've ever seen. He learned everything Stan Abel taught him, then developed upper body skills. Andre has won more international freestyle matches than probably any American. His club in Denton (North Texas University) had 99 wrestlers on its roster. This is the third season since he started the program. He personally raised all of the money until the university funded one scholarship. He would do an excellent job because he knows Oklahoma high school coaches, plus many out of state coaches. Not sure if he'll apply. I told him I'd have his friends write letters to the AD stating what the would donate to endow wrestling scholarships at OU.

Many people don't realize how close football players were to the wrestlers. They lived in jock dorms. The entire football team would attend the home duals. When Andre wrestled home duals against Iowa and OSU were sold out at Lloyd Noble area a which seats over 12,000

I've been in this sport since 1960 worked for three NWHOF coaches, two were head freestyle coaches in the Olympics. Andre Metzger is probably the best technician I've ever seen. He learned everything Stan Abel taught him, then developed upper body skills. Andre has won more international freestyle matches than probably any American. His club in Denton (North Texas University) had 99 wrestlers on its roster. This is the third season since he started the program. He personally raised all of the money until the university funded one scholarship. He would do an excellent job because he knows Oklahoma high school coaches, plus many out of state coaches. Not sure if he'll apply. I told him I'd have his friends write letters to the AD stating what the would donate to endow wrestling scholarships at OU.

Many people don't realize how close football players were to the wrestlers. They lived in jock dorms. The entire football team would attend the home duals. When Andre wrestled home duals against Iowa and OSU were sold out at Lloyd Noble area a which seats over 12,000

Says the guy who endorsed Cody

Then I would rather him use all his connections and skills to take the Mean Green to varsity status.

He won't go to Oklahoma. Too dry, windy with the damn tornadoes and way, way too many earthquakes. If you value living Oklahoma is not a good place to be.

He won't go to Oklahoma. Too dry, windy with the damn tornadoes and way, way too many earthquakes. If you value living Oklahoma is not a good place to be.

While I happen to agree with you on this particular dig at OK, I'm not of the mind that Denton, TX is much better, it at all...