CoachWrestling

Mark Cody steps down as coach at Oklahoma

If Roselli takes the job at Oklahoma, Tervel could probably take over the Ohio RTC without missing a beat. The guy is one of the most accomplished FS wrestlers in the country and probably a great coach as well based on the development of Kyle Snyder.

Roselli has a good thing going at Ohio RTC. Really hope he doesn't leave.

Roselli has a good thing going at Ohio RTC. Really hope he doesn't leave.

I agree. I have to imagine if he wanted a HC job at a University, he would have had it by now.

Rather, he functions as the HC of the top RTC in the country. He might even value that more.

Cody didn't wreck the program. Jack Spates let the program have its worst three years in school history. Cody's emphasis on academics was excellent. I was disappointed the team didn't perform as well as I hoped. There is some decent talent in the room, more than there was when he got there.

Cody didn't wreck the program. Jack Spates let the program have its worst three years in school history. Cody's emphasis on academics was excellent. I was disappointed the team didn't perform as well as I hoped. There is some decent talent in the room, more than there was when he got there.

It was Spates's fault that Cody failed to deliver several years AFTER Spates left and now the program is pulling a Northwestern?? Geez. You must really have it out for the guy.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

It was Spates's fault that Cody failed to deliver several years AFTER Spates left and now the program is pulling a Northwestern?? Geez. You must really have it out for the guy.

In Rob Koll's first five years at Cornell, the team finishes at NCAA's were 17, 56, 42, 41, and 67.  The next 5 years showed steady improvement, however, and Cornell became a perennial top 10 team, and a top 5 team in 8 of the past 12 years.

5 years is not enough time to change the culture of a program and turn it around.  If that's what the expectations are - significant improvement in one recruiting cycle - good luck!

Edited by redblades

In Rob Koll's first five years at Cornell, the team finishes at NCAA's were 17, 56, 42, 41, and 67.  The next 5 years showed steady improvement, however, and Cornell became a perennial top 10 team, and a top 5 team in 8 of the past 12 years.

5 years is not enough time to change the culture of a program and turn it around.  If that's what the expectations are - significant improvement in one recruiting cycle - good luck!

+1  Right on the money.

Edited by KingofBing

5 years IS enough time to right the ship.  That depends on a lot of things, and Rob Koll and Cornell is not the correct argument to make.  When Koll got to Cornell they didn't have what they have now.  The Friedman Center, the Cornell JUCO pipeline, the money, the AAs, the wins.  NOTHING.  He built that from the ground up.

Oklahoma had, before Cody showed up - a budget, a room, AAs (history), tradition, alumni, facilities, full scholarship and more importantly (as it pertains to the Rob Koll analogy), easy admissions AND fertile recruiting ground.

Now, from what I know about Mark Cody, he is a GREAT MAN.  Just one of the best people you could ever meet, and he genuinely cares about his athletes and how they do when the leave his program (trust me, that can't be said for every D1 coach).  

Oklahoma, as a state had a resurgence in its recruiting classes.  When you have top 100 recruits signing up to be 3RD TEAM at OSU instead of being a presumptive day 1 starter at OU, yeah, you're not doing a good job.  And he couldn't pull a Cael-at-ISU get out of state top recruits, it's a recipe for a program not doing a lot of winning.

Except not really. Look at hi and 2016 recruiting class. He'd have at least 3 more years of a poor team.

WIN Magazine thinks he had a pretty good recruiting class.

TOP RECRUITING CLASSES (WIN MAGAZINE RANKINGS) 1. Penn State 2. North Carolina 3. Nebraska 4. Rutgers 5. Iowa State 6. Iowa 7. Cornell 8. Oklahoma 9. Purdue 10. Lehigh 11. Ohio State 12. Princeton 13. Virginia 14. Virginia Tech 15. Harvard 16. Minnesota 17. Oklahoma State 18. Wyoming 19. Air Force 20. Missouri 21. Army 22. Old Dominion 23. Stanford 24. Pittsburgh 25. Michigan State  

5 years IS enough time to right the ship.  That depends on a lot of things, and Rob Koll and Cornell is not the correct argument to make.  When Koll got to Cornell they didn't have what they have now.  The Friedman Center, the Cornell JUCO pipeline, the money, the AAs, the wins.  NOTHING.  He built that from the ground up.

Oklahoma had, before Cody showed up - a budget, a room, AAs (history), tradition, alumni, facilities, full scholarship and more importantly (as it pertains to the Rob Koll analogy), easy admissions AND fertile recruiting ground.

Now, from what I know about Mark Cody, he is a GREAT MAN.  Just one of the best people you could ever meet, and he genuinely cares about his athletes and how they do when the leave his program (trust me, that can't be said for every D1 coach).  

Oklahoma, as a state had a resurgence in its recruiting classes.  When you have top 100 recruits signing up to be 3RD TEAM at OSU instead of being a presumptive day 1 starter at OU, yeah, you're not doing a good job.  And he couldn't pull a Cael-at-ISU get out of state top recruits, it's a recipe for a program not doing a lot of winning.

Koll took over Cornell from Spates.  Spates had them at least in the top 20 at that point -- I'm sure someone else remembers better than I do.  Koll went backward in results for a while before he was able to get the program moving forward.  

In basketball, it took John Wooden something like 15 years before he had really great teams at UCLA, then he was able to win 10 national championships in short order.  Sometimes hitting the peak takes a while.  You'll never know how someone's career would have turned out if they get fired after a few subpar seasons.

One of the advantages of being at a smaller DI school like American is that you don't have as much pressure to win immediately.

Some guys go backwards and then go forwards.  Some just keep going backwards.  It is entirely possible that years 6-10 would have been better for Cody then years 1-5 were.  It's also entirely possible it was just a bad fit that wasn't going to work.  The long term future of the program if Cody had continued is a debatable thing.

What is not debatable is the present and the immediate future under Cody.  

Koll did take a step back in his first five years at the helm. I had mentioned that before. But people only know of his success now. He built a program by finding out what worked for Cornell specifically. People forget that American University took a lot of work too. I do think Cody would have done well at Oklahoma given more time. Every program is different and needs to be approached differently. Sure, a Ohio State and Penn State are basically proxies but there are many programs that are very different and need to be approached differently. Even Tom Ryan had to regroup in his fifth season at Ohio State when they finished 2-11. When you're recruiting new kinds of students and athletes and your scheduling changes, you have a lot of adjustments to make. Moving to a different type of program can take some adjusting that takes some time to figure out.

Koll did take a step back in his first five years at the helm. I had mentioned that before. But people only know of his success now. He built a program by finding out what worked for Cornell specifically. People forget that American University took a lot of work too. I do think Cody would have done well at Oklahoma given more time. Every program is different and needs to be approached differently. Sure, a Ohio State and Penn State are basically proxies but there are many programs that are very different and need to be approached differently. Even Tom Ryan had to regroup in his fifth season at Ohio State when they finished 2-11. When you're recruiting new kinds of students and athletes and your scheduling changes, you have a lot of adjustments to make. Moving to a different type of program can take some adjusting that takes some time to figure out.

Koll did?

Cornell was lights out before he took the reigns?

Check your history.  Cornell may have held ground for a few years but they never took a step back.

This thread continues to spew nonsense but I love it.

1. I applaud the fact that Oklahoma has high expectations for their Wrestling Coach.  This is something I wish more institutions would do.  Put some heat on people to be better or least reach reasonable expectations for their individual university's goals.  Oklahoma should be a top 10 every year.  If you stick to the letter of your university's expectations then bumping out Cody was the right move at the right time.  It also doesn't change the fact that Cody is a very very good coach in many aspects of the sport and a complete stand up guy.  Cody knew going to Norman what was at stake.  

2. Personally, 5 years is enough to at least know whether or not your headed in the right direction.  You should get 1-2 years to work with recycle and recruit your team and lay down the foundations of the program.  Years 3-4 should see small but significant evidences of progress.  By year 5 the ball should be rolling.

This thread continues to spew nonsense but I love it.

... Oklahoma should be a top 10 every year. 

OK, I'll play!

Which programs should be top 10 every year?

Going just off history and tradition, I'd say:

Iowa

Iowa State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Minnesota

Penn State

Ohio State

Michigan

Michigan State

Wisconsin

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) recent history would call for inclusion of:

Cornell

Missouri

Virginia Tech

NC State

Nebraska

And maybe a few more knocking at the door.

Some of the so-called traditional powers are going to start missing the party.  Times change, history moves on.  Or as my 401 K statement continuously reminds me - past performance does not guarantee future results.

Edited by redblades

From what this whole situation tells me, it is indicative that it really is about wrestling performance for this program and they are not looking at the whole picture.  You have a guy(by all accounts that I have seen) who does all the right things from the development of his athletes.  By that I mean, he stresses academics(his kids have increased their academic standings since he arrived) and living a clean life(he's very strict with the partying rules) while at the same time making his team contribute to the community.

Is there some underlying reason why you would get rid of a guy like this?  On the surface, if my kid wanted to go there, I would think he would be in good hands.  Regarding wrestling, he has had some individual success and I agree with others that it takes some time to change a culture and learn the state.  Cody was(is) highly regarded in the east with coaches and I think it would only take a little time before he did that in Oklahoma.

First off, Cody resigned he wasn't fired, that is all we know.

Cody probably lost all of the OK HS coaches early in his tenure when he sat his starters at the Big XII duals in Stillwater, that year they held the round robin with 4 teams. There is zero excitement for the program here in the state, even though there was great expectations when Cody was  hired.

Cody wasn't new to the state having spent a few years in Stillwater prior to going to American.

Edited by KingK0ng

Koll did?

Cornell was lights out before he took the reigns?

Check your history.  Cornell may have held ground for a few years but they never took a step back.

Yes, I stand by my statement. Spates was hired by Oklahoma due to his success at Cornell.

These were Spates last four seasons and the type of program Koll took over:

1990 - 20th

1991 - 39th

1992 - 15th

1993 - 10th

Koll took over and had the following finishes in his first five years leading Cornell:

1994 - 17th

1995 - 56th

1996 - 42nd

1997 - 41st

1998 - 67th

For a program that was starting to get comfortable as being a regular top-20 program, Koll's first five years were a big step back.

Of course, as we all know, Koll was a great hire and it was just a matter of time.

2. Personally, 5 years is enough to at least know whether or not your headed in the right direction. You should get 1-2 years to work with recycle and recruit your team and lay down the foundations of the program. Years 3-4 should see small but significant evidences of progress. By year 5 the ball should be rolling.

Based on that comment, would you have fired Koll?

Edited by Pinnum

OK, I'll play!

Which programs should be top 10 every year?

Going just off history and tradition, I'd say:

Iowa

Iowa State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Minnesota

Penn State

Ohio State

Michigan

Michigan State

Wisconsin

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) recent history would call for inclusion of:

Cornell

Missouri

Virginia Tech

NC State

Nebraska

And maybe a few more knocking at the door.

Some of the so-called traditional powers are going to start missing the party.  Times change, history moves on.  Or as my 401 K statement continuously reminds me - past performance does not guarantee future results.

Can't disagree...........

But then why pressure him to resign or fire or whatever?

Not picking the schools specifically, but the expectation is: Top 10 if you're the Oklahoma coach, if not we'll look for another option.

Pop's expectation for NC State: Top 5 or Top 3 or where ever he sets the bar from himself and his program.

I know Cody has high expectations for his program.  Get it done or don't I guess is the way Oklahoma felt.