CoachWrestling

Mark Cody steps down as coach at Oklahoma

Yes, I stand by my statement. Spates was hired by Oklahoma due to his success at Cornell.

These were Spates last four seasons and the type of program Koll took over:

1990 - 20th

1991 - 39th

1992 - 15th

1993 - 10th

Koll took over and had the following finishes in his first five years leading Cornell:

1994 - 17th

1995 - 56th

1996 - 42nd

1997 - 41st

1998 - 67th

For a program that was starting to get comfortable as being a regular top-20 program, Koll's first five years were a big step back.

Of course, as we all know, Koll was a great hire and it was just a matter of time.

Based on that comment, would you have fired Koll?

Spates hit the top 10 once.

Otherwise I see the results as similar or within 1 match performance of the next.

Cornell's trend turned when Koll stopped competing and put 100% on Coaching.  It was clear in the late 90's that Cornell was going in the right direction.  His camps were building steam, he was networking with NYS coaches, and he was starting to get great recruits.  He also built a good coaching staff as well as started the foundation of building the Friedman Center and alumni connections.  He had a supportive AD (Wrestling guy) and here we are today.  

His club in Denton (North Texas University) had 99 wrestlers on its roster. 

This could not be more wrong.  9 is closer to the truth.  I know 2 kids wrestling there...technically 1, the other hung it up.  Even his little kid club (the bombers) whom he doesnt even coach for anymore, doesnt have that many kids.

Then I would rather him use all his connections and skills to take the Mean Green to varsity status.

That is probably what will happen

I speak with Andre quite often and the last time I spoke with him he was gung-ho on starting the only womens greco (college) team and was pushing hard to move the club to freestyle/greco only.  Point blank asked him about going d2, d1, etc. and he said "no way in hell"...even a step further he thinks club is the future and more and more schools will actually drop to club as wrestling continues to be dropped at colleges.  

I love andre and respect him a lot...but he is one of the weirdest dudes around.  

Just on a side note, check out his match on youtube against Matt Moley.  Reminds me of why us old men shouldn't wrestle.  I wrestled in the same time as Andre and he was a stud.  While he looks like he could still compete, father time has other ideas.lol

Just on a side note, check out his match on youtube against Matt Moley.  Reminds me of why us old men shouldn't wrestle.  I wrestled in the same time as Andre and he was a stud.  While he looks like he could still compete, father time has other ideas.lol

First off, Cody resigned he wasn't fired, that is all we know.

Cody probably lost all of the OK HS coaches early in his tenure when he sat his starters at the Big XII duals in Stillwater, that year they held the round robin with 4 teams. There is zero excitement for the program here in the state, even though there was great expectations when Cody was  hired.

Cody wasn't new to the state having spent a few years in Stillwater prior to going to American.

Cody "resigned". Was basically resign or be fired. It isn't unconventional to see that 

OK, I'll play!

Which programs should be top 10 every year?

Going just off history and tradition, I'd say:

Iowa

Iowa State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Minnesota

Penn State

Ohio State

Michigan

Michigan State

Wisconsin

Where'd you pull Michigan St. from?  They haven't finished top 10 in the last 20 years, and have done so only 3 times in the last 43 years.

Gotta think a decision will come by tomorrow and if they are willing to pay it will be Roselli. I feel like the timing has been awful for the wrestlers. Imo.... Doing this and then not allowing a one time transfer makes you really question if they have the wrestlers best interest as a priority.

Gotta think a decision will come by tomorrow and if they are willing to pay it will be Roselli. I feel like the timing has been awful for the wrestlers. Imo.... Doing this and then not allowing a one time transfer makes you really question if they have the wrestlers best interest as a priority.

Hopefully they are denying transfers so the new coach has a chance to 'recruit' those interested in leaving.  If they still deny the transfers after the hire, then they will have screwed the wrestlers once with the timing and then twice with the denial.

Per Flo it is Roselli

Hopefully they are denying transfers so the new coach has a chance to 'recruit' those interested in leaving.  If they still deny the transfers after the hire, then they will have screwed the wrestlers once with the timing and then twice with the denial.

Deny transfers?  There's still time for them to enroll for the fall semester at a different school.  Screw the new coach, if the kids want to transfer then don't cost them a semester, let them go now if they want.  

Deny transfers?  There's still time for them to enroll for the fall semester at a different school.  Screw the new coach, if the kids want to transfer then don't cost them a semester, let them go now if they want.  

Remember the fiction that athletes sign for the school, not the coach.

That is why all those scholars who could have gone to Stanford or Harvard went to Iowa under Danny Gable - the great academic programs.

Good hire for the Broncho's

Olympian and All-American Sam Hazewinkel was named as an assistant wrestling coach at the University of Central Oklahoma. Hazewinkel, who wrestled collegiately at Oklahoma, will work under first-year Bronchos coach Todd Steidley.

Hazewinkel went 140-0 in high school at Pensacola Christian Academy. The three-time state champ went on to Oklahoma, where he was a four-time All-American. He was an Olympian in both Freestyle and Greco in 2012.

They truly are still denying transfers as Millhoff went through the process of appeal hearing stating that he was no longer wanting to be at OU since the coaching staff in almost in its entirety was gone from his signing as well as he was simply no longer happy at OU. Rosselli had spoken with Millhoff and said he would grant release, however, the assist AD Mr. Leonard apparently over ruled Lou and fought the committee to not release him. Makes no sense to me anyway... First, under the circumstances, why not release a kid who no longer wants to be there and seems to have adequate cause with the ongoing events there. Secondly, why would the AD overrule your new coach? Sounds as if Lou is not in charge of the wrestling program. As a potential recruit, this scenario would have me crossing OU off my list!

I heard this asst. AD was a problem that any new coach would have to deal with.  Any coach, new or existing, should not have to 

They truly are still denying transfers as Millhoff went through the process of appeal hearing stating that he was no longer wanting to be at OU since the coaching staff in almost in its entirety was gone from his signing as well as he was simply no longer happy at OU. Rosselli had spoken with Millhoff and said he would grant release, however, the assist AD Mr. Leonard apparently over ruled Lou and fought the committee to not release him. Makes no sense to me anyway... First, under the circumstances, why not release a kid who no longer wants to be there and seems to have adequate cause with the ongoing events there. Secondly, why would the AD overrule your new coach? Sounds as if Lou is not in charge of the wrestling program. As a potential recruit, this scenario would have me crossing OU off my list!

Funny, I heard this assist. AD was an issue that any new coach was going to have to learn to deal with.  I guess what I heard was right.  I agree, potential recruits should be wary of the situation.  Hopefully the AD catches on and sets things straight.

Good discussion.

I do think the time you get to show results is shorter if the program and backers have already experienced success and have high expectations.

There is more to this than the record I'm sure. If Cody didn't click with the program backers, it is not a recipe for success.

I bet there is also more to all of this to. Can't say it was just based in one factor. I have ZERO info though.

Regarding Koll, the difference between 25th and 60th at NCAAs is comically small and can depend on a lucky or unlucky bracket, a OT win or two, etc. Or one guy. Remember Hirsch graduated at that point when Koll took over. Point being, the range is not a good judge of how well a team is doing. I'd rather look at EIWA performance or dual results. I'm not about to spend the time to look them up though!

So what was the final result of the appeal? Doesn't the appeals committee have to be totally devoid of athletic department personnel?

He should just take a redshirt. A lot of hassle for a guy who can still go to NCAAs for two more years. Not gonna get a lot of sympathy.

He will from me. Why is an Executive Director for Compliance being so difficult that he wants to make one of his wrestlers who doesn't want to be at Oklahoma sit for a year just to get out of that situation, even when the head coach wants to release him?