Sign in to follow this  
WildTurkey44

Iowa/Msu Throwing puches?

Wow, D back 5 is such a tough guy. Quite impressive... Whew... what a class act.

To defend the childish, unsportman-like conduct of these "wrestlers" shows what you are about.

Again, how many people WIN in a classy way...? MANY....!!!

The Neanderthals you respect so much may win some matches, sure… but do they show class? NO.

Defend them all you want… This is the difference between some coaches, parents, fans, and wrestlers, etc. in how they wish to be role models. You seem to have the Machiavellian-end-justifies-the-means mentality. What a real tough guy you are.

I prefer kids who wrestle with class… win with class… and lose with class. Character goes a lot further than a win loss record. You obviously side with imprudent Neanderthals who shove people out of bounds to show their “toughness”. Yeah… you sure show us don’t you. Thank G_D many coaches and wrestlers don’t feel this way.

Not sure where I said I was a tough guy. That seems to be your deal here. Listen, watch tap dancing and not wrestling then. I dont condone unsportsmanlike conduct, but if you think a little pushing out of bounds is so out of line, then yes I am calling you a pu%$y.

Ever heard of breaking your opponent? Im sure you are well aware of that feeling.

What is the point of the boundary? Pretty sure it's safety, and not a "one last shot zone". There are penalties in all sports for this extra activity out of bounds, and if the wrestler needs to push his opponent into the scorers table to break him, he is the ***** along with the coach who condones it. Injuring an opponent is not the goal, it's to outscore him.

[highlight=#e1ebf2]What is the point of the boundary? Pretty sure it's safety, and not a "one last shot zone". There are penalties in all sports for this extra activity out of bounds, and if the wrestler needs to push his opponent into the scorers table to break him, he is the ***** along with the coach who condones it. Injuring an opponent is not the goal, it's to outscore him.[/highlight]

[highlight=#e1ebf2]

[/highlight]

[highlight=#e1ebf2]25th post.....[/highlight]

"breaking your opponent"...is done inbounds...... and within the rules...... extra crap is just that ......crap

the ref in that match did NOT keep proper control......... HOW could no one be penalized in that 157 match?

also.....I personally have NEVER been broken...actually never lost...tho I did run out of time a few times! ;)

Don't be a bunch of sissies! A litttle extra pushing / shoving is not so bad. A minor punch here or there spices things up, helps you to win, and draws in the good fan base.

All in good fun, but DO NOT consider any sort of celebratory gymnastics or tumbling - that is low rent and will immediate draw retribution and the eternal scorn of true fans!!

"breaking your opponent"...is done inbounds...... and within the rules...... extra crap is just that ......crap

the ref in that match did NOT keep proper control......... HOW could no one be penalized in that 157 match?

also.....I personally have NEVER been broken...actually never lost...tho I did run out of time a few times! ;)

I love the last statement, it's how I feel in every sport I try!

With the out of bounds rules as is, it is pretty hard to call these shoves out of line unless the whistle has blown. And I think the refs, for the most party, penalize guys for blatant action after the whistle. I really don't think there is a major problem here.

It is pretty obvious that guys like lesh have an agenda. They turn a blind eyes to anything borderline their teams do and then jump at the chance to spew negative propaganda toward the Iowa program. People have been doing this for as long as I can remember, even before the internet. Even before Brands was coach. I think these people hope they can sway future recruits. I think a lot of the drivel spewed on this board comes down to that. People thinking there opinion means more than it does and maybe that they can paint a bad enough picture of a program that recruits choose their favorite schools or at least not Iowa. I can only imagine the hatred spewed by these jackals at a local tournament and bars. Funny how when Brands finally does recruit a kid that they are usual in the running, if not landing them.

:D

Don't be a bunch of sissies! A litttle extra pushing / shoving is not so bad. A minor punch here or there spices things up, helps you to win, and draws in the good fan base.

All in good fun, but DO NOT consider any sort of celebratory gymnastics or tumbling - that is low rent and will immediate draw retribution and the eternal scorn of true fans!!

FUNNY

I thought both 157 pounders should have been DQed. And yes the ref's didn't handle this situation properly.

-----

DSJ did nothing to warrant a DQ. The only thing he did that I could see was some minor mutual shoving as they went out of bounds at end of 1st.

Watts, on the other hand, seemed out of control, left jabbed DSJ a couple of times, and had the right cocked looking for the big one. He had to be calmed down by Minkel at the end of the first.

Apparently, your video skipped some intervening frames, Rossel. While it started off with mutual shoving (as shown in frame #1 below), the following frames show that DSJ was the instigator. (It was like a football play where the first guy takes a quick shot, but the second guy over-reacts and is perceived as starting the fracas.)

Mutual shoving as the wrestlers go OOB...

8401898505_a3cb08a989_m.jpg

Watts' left foot is leaving the "cylinder"...

8402995696_76eb6fe858_m.jpg

The ref can be seen raising his right arm

to stop the action. Watts releases DSJ's left

arm, and DSJ immediately draws it back...

8402996688_b88ee061bf_m.jpg

DSJ brings the left up towards Watts' chin...

8401907911_b10892b054_m.jpg

DSJ appears to make contact to the left

side of Watts' jaw and/or chin...

8401909351_5fb4ab037d_m.jpg

DSJ follows through with his "left hook"...

8403033546_c1a266814e_m.jpg

It wasn't until after the above frame that Watts retaliated. And even assuming that DSJ was "shoving" Watts, slapping an opponent in the face with a left-hooking motion is inviting fisticuffs. That said, I'd agree with you that Watts should have kept himself more composed. However, let's not pretend that DSJ was blameless, particularly in view of the fact that his OOB left-hook (whether punch or slap) is what provoked Watts' reaction.

-------

The ref is raising his right arm? Hurricane, the ref's hand stays below his waist in all your pictures. Fanning his fingers maybe?

You say Watts releases StJ's arm. That's your interpretation. From your images, it could just as credibly be said St J is releasing Watt's right forearm after frame 2. Then Watts proceeds to grab StJ's arm.

In summary, your video capture shows is two guys going out of bounds with their hands still on each other. Watt's right hand remains on StJ's left forearm and elbow, while Watt's left arm is on StJ's right shoulder.

One thing your video capture apparently missed, was StJ's mouth piece falling onto the mat while the shoving was going on, likely due to Watts shoving StJ's head. St J is shoving too, but imo, nothing too serious by either guy. There is no "left hook" as you call it. A mild face shove at worst. A left hook is a punch. StJ threw no punch.

What your video capture also left out is 3 closed fist swings by Watts at St J's head, including a left jab to the face. St J shows remarkable restraint, and does nothing except back away, pick up his mouthpiece and does not swing back.

Following that, you see 2 MSU coaches running out to try to calm the clearly out of control Watts down.

For anyone interested, watch the video before judging.

I realize that some, like Wire, don't need to. They are able to discern the Iowa is always guilty, no matter what the facts are. But for others, watch the close of the first period, and make up your own mind.

Haven't watched the video ... don't intend to, and really don't need to.

EVERY YEAR, this topic comes up in "Full Force" and every year Iowa is in the mix. Regardless of the opponent, or the setting, I do not recall ANY OTHER team that get's called out by the fans and the refs at least once a year, such as Iowa does.

At least we can say they are CONSISTENT.

Love good, clean, tough wrestling, yet the ref's need to step up, and keep things from getting out of hand, and start dinging teams with points. It'll stop that crap in a hurry.

I'll never forget the time Metcalf, pushed his opponent from the outer ring of the wrestling circle,

through the little rope in front of the fans, into the bottom row of the bleachers onto some womens' lap. Face plant. She was surprised to say the least.

The thing is ... like in football, it's the second punch, or push that get's the fine, or penalty.

Of course you haven't watched it, nor will, but you have no problem replying to something you don't know a damn thing about. That should tell everyone everything they need to know about any reaction you have to an Iowa wrestling topic. I'd sure love to have someone like you on my jury "nope, didn't watch it, didn't listen to the testimony, but guilty by association".

I'm still waiting for the part about what is illegal about what Evans is doing in the picture? Is the cameraman also the referee, so his hands are not available to make a call for an illegal hold? Is the referee in the tunnel eating ice cream? Is the referee afraid of Mike Evans, so he won't call him for an illegal hold? All kinds of references about some "phantom" illegal hold, yet not one, but two referees didn't see fit to call him on it? That is some damn strange goings on, that's for certain.

I see a whole lot of whining, and not one iota of proof that an illegal hold occurred.

I'm still waiting for the part about what is illegal about what Evans is doing in the picture?

It's only a still frame, but it sure looks like he's grabbing the entire face, which is illegal if that is in fact what happened.

Guys, there is a link to the video on the first page. Evans raked across the kids face deliberately twice right in front of the camera. I thought everyone watched it. I guess we'll have to youtube it.
While it did look like his nails happened to cut the MSU kid, it didn't look like he was doing anything other then trying to get the kid turned over and it did not look intentional or illegal.

Not sure where I said I was a tough guy. That seems to be your deal here. Listen, watch tap dancing and not wrestling then. I dont condone unsportsmanlike conduct, but if you think a little pushing out of bounds is so out of line, then yes I am calling you a pu%$y.

Ever heard of breaking your opponent? Im sure you are well aware of that feeling.

Wow, D Back Douche bag called me a Pu$$y. Oh no!!!! And I need to watch tap dancing... OMG... what a tough guy he is.

Amazing... What an amazingly articulate and eloquent guy you are. That’s right… I think digging someone in the face is unsportsmanlike and I am a Pu$$y. That will show me huh.

And hey, “break” your opponent by shoving and tossing him into the stands… “That will show him who is boss… that will shatter him.”

Very impressed by your maturity, wisdom and development. You must be proud.

Keep it up. When the classless wrestlers propel people into the crowd, scratch their faces, and whack them around… you will be the rogue standing up… out of breath,… clapping.

I am sure you will be easy to spot.

This is all about character and the big picture about life.... Something you obviously know nothing about.

Wow, D Back Douche bag called me a Pu$$y. Oh no!!!! And I need to watch tap dancing... OMG... what a tough guy he is.

Amazing... What an amazingly articulate and eloquent guy you are. That’s right… I think digging someone in the face is unsportsmanlike and I am a Pu$$y. That will show me huh.

And hey, “break” your opponent by shoving and tossing him into the stands… “That will show him who is boss… that will shatter him.”

Very impressed by your maturity, wisdom and development. You must be proud.

Keep it up. When the classless wrestlers propel people into the crowd, scratch their faces, and whack them around… you will be the rogue standing up… out of breath,… clapping.

I am sure you will be easy to spot.

This is all about character and the big picture about life.... Something you obviously know nothing about.

Wow leshismore. You're even more of a nancy than previously thought. You can say what you want. I have plenty of character. And you are hilarious as well. Good luck in life. You're gonna need it sister.

rossel3, I think you've weighed in on the 157 match but not yet 174? I'm curious what your take is.

----

Headshuck, as you might predict, my take on 174 is not as sinister as yours.

I see Evans close to pinning the guy, cranking on his head, with a leg in. After a bit, he reaches across in what may be an attempt to reposition the head, to get the fall. He does it a second time and that is when the MSU guy got cut, possibly with one of Evans fingers going across the open mouth/gums.

While Evans is a punishing rider, I don't think he has any history of doing anything dirty, and imo, it wasn't some sort of Wolverine "clawing the hell out of his face," as you portrayed it. The ref was right there, and nothing was called. Unfortunate, but I don't think there was an intention to scratch or cut him.

I have a question for you, Headshuck. When Sanders stomped on Robles back at the ncaa a couple of years ago, did you post any pictures and seek condemnation of that? Or are your efforts mainly focused on Iowa?

Silly old argument rossel. Sanders went out of his way to shake Robles hand and apologize. Robles said he had no issue with the incident in an interview.

I think you can admit I haven't been down on Iowa since Metcalf graduated.

One of the reasons I'm calling out Evans is I made the mistake of reading the Hawks take on this particular match on Rivals.

I don't see anything wrong with what Evans is doing in the video at 174. I can see people saying St. John instigated at 157, but he didn't punch the kid, he was the one who got punched. And at 174, the MSU kid had already thrown two haymakers at Evans (and tackled him out of bounds, though I don't have a huge problem with this) before all of this happened, and the part that cut the kid opened looked accidental.

It's silly to bring up the Robles-Sanders thing, that's from years ago. Same with the MEtcalf-Caldwell thing. Long time ago, lets keep the conversation focused on what happened here. Evans got punched in the face, and the only thing anyone wants to talk about is an accidental face gouge, at least as far as we can tell.

Well tbh it seems to me that we have some IA fans defending some questionable actions from a couple of their wrestlers. Hard to say for certain that he intentionally scratched the kid in the face, but what is with his fist pump at the intermission when the kid takes injury timeout?

DSJ without a doubt hits the MSU wrestler with at least a partially closed hand, and then the response is way over the top.

I am not even accusing Iowa of starting it because I have seen nothing before these videos, but they were a part of it. Denying that there was a punch thrown is like the magic bullet theory. The video clearly shows a hit to the side of his head, who cares whether it's in the boundaries or not. Possible that it was unintentional? I suppose there is a chance, but it looks like a swing.

Well nevermind that I guess, I can no longer view the video it wants me to purchase subscription. It may not have been the correct match anyway, I watched a ton of video today.

There was a point Evans took referee position and the other wrestler said something to the official, then he was awarded a injury timeout, Evans stood up and walked toward the coaches and pumped his fist.

Please tell me I have completely lost my mind, because I have been wondering lately.