Sign in to follow this  
WildTurkey44

Iowa/Msu Throwing puches?

And DSJ was also owning the MSU kid too. As well as Evans. I dont see any malice at all in what Evans did. He was going for the pin. All the people attacking the Iowa guys here, just give me a break. Going with the topic. The only actual punches thrown were by MSU wrestlers. Even if a retaliation is what gets caught most of the time, that still remains what happened.

The DSJ thing I can definitely see. He definitely did something in Watts' face (whether it was a small shove or a semi-punch or whatever it's hard to tell from the video, but it was something). Evans is being dragged in here based off nothing other than the fact the kid happened to start bleeding, which happens all of the time in wrestling.

I think its a more than the kid just happened to start bleeding. You can see Evans grab/claw his face then a straight cut form with blood. Thats definitely more than just a mouth or nose bleed. Maybe Evans didn't mean to claw like that or maybe he didn't even realize he did anything, I have nothing against the kid. But intentional or not, he left the kid with a legitimate gash.

Its funny how it goes from a scrape to a cut and now its a gash. Next we will hear how the MSU kid had to get a dozen stitches and a blood transfusion. blah blah blah. i love Evan's aggressive in your face punishing style. i wouldnt trade him for anything. i wish some other hawkeye wrestlers had that aggression in them.

another thing.. If you dont want to get shoved out of bounds quit backing up to the edge of the mat!

It didn't look intentional at all to me. Getting cuts happen. Especially when you let guys twist you into a pretzel. It would not take that much for this to cause a scratch. Ref's check nails before the match and it wouldn't take that much of nails to cause a scratch in a situation where Evans is legally trying as hard as he can to use his hand on the the kid's face to turn him and the kid is fighting as hard as he can the other way. Is it a little brutal? sure. Is it malicious or illegal? No. I view it close to the like of when Ed Ruth uses his haymaker cross face. As my coaches would say, don't let yourself get into these situation and you don't have to worry about it.

And yeah St John may have been a little chippy and the MSU kid certainly over reacted. They were both penalized and they wrestled a clean match afterwards. St John is a laid bad dude who wrestles hard nose but he is by no means in the Logan Brown category.

Perry we get it you dont like Iowa or its wrestlers. This whole thread is about evans and dsj and what they did wrong. nobody gives a crap about the haymakers thrown by the msu guys. haters gonna hate

Turkey, you either A. don't get it, or B. haven't read all of my comments on this board. I have said I like what Iowa brings to wrestling, but at the same time they are also some of the worst offenders when it comes to crossing the line. My comments to DSJ would be made of DSJ whether he wrestled for Iowa, Penn State, etc.. Dirty wrestling is dirty. And this is what I've seen pretty much every time I watch him wrestle.

As for those justifying these actions by saying don't "back up or get put on your back" to avoid this kind of wrestling, you are idiots. Quit justifying classless behavior with stupid logic.

And DSJ was also owning the MSU kid too. As well as Evans. I dont see any malice at all in what Evans did. He was going for the pin. All the people attacking the Iowa guys here, just give me a break. Going with the topic. The only actual punches thrown were by MSU wrestlers. Even if a retaliation is what gets caught most of the time, that still remains what happened.

Again, this is simply false. DSJ threw a punch. If you want this thread to stop, then stop lying.

In the 174lb match Evans was only guilty of a couple shoves, and the MSU wrestler overreacted. The claw during the match (I watched this morning) I have to say leans towards unintentional, but there were two scratches going two directions so it happened not once but twice. A hangnail could easily have caused that though. Superficial scratches to the face bleed easily.

DSJ imo is not dirty as I already said, but what he did was dirty in this match. He threw some questionable stuff in the NCAA finals last year, but if he has two incidents it hardly makes him dirty.

There are two extremes in this thread. One is saying DSJ is dirty and Iowa is at fault in this match, the other is saying this is why Iowa wins and they did nothing against MSU except defend themselves.

You are both wrong. Both teams threw punches, to say otherwise is denial.

Now Evans on the other hand is DIRTY. It's a fact.

I believe he is a member here as well ----> http://www.dirtymustacheclub.com/

Gotta love the "outrage" from the usual suspects:

Hurricane expertly dissecting some still frames ..."the ref is raising his arm" despite the hand being below his waist in every frame. But I will give you some credit Hurricane, admitting that Watts' reaction was "so extreme, it could be deemed the greater transgression." Yes, just just possibly.

Wire and Hurricane bringing up matches from years prior... Metcalf, DSJ allegedly doing bad things, thereby supporting the current condemnations.

And at the same time, Headshuck reminding us that bringing up a years prior Sanders stomping on Robles was not relevant, and "silly."

No matter what, if it's Iowa, some posters will take it to the max. Metcalf pressing his forearm down on D Schlatter's head becomes "infamous," while Metcalf getting repeatedly and intentionally knee'd in the face, leading to DQ of opponent gets little or no outrage from the Iowa haters.

Brands stepping out on mat. Some illegal hunting adventure. Iowa scheduling non d1 opponents. Iowa skipping nat'l duals. No matter what... some folks love to blow minor and relatively non events into something more.

It's a recurring theme.

Enough of the "this is only being brought up because it is Iowa". It is being brought up because punches were thrown. It would be brought up regardless of who was wrestling. The Iowa "we get picked on" defense is just as old and tired as those who obviously spew extra hate towards Iowa because of their success in the sport.

St. John threw a cheap jab into the MSU wrestler's face. The MSU wrestler then completely lost it. I was shocked that they let them continue to wrestle. Even though St. John threw the cheap shot, the MSU wrestler's response was completely over the top, and he should have had a flagrant misconduct charged. Giving un-sportsmanlike penalties to both wrestlers wasn't enough in this instance, which is likely what led to 174.

I've followed Evans since his Freshman year in high school. He has a physical, "on the edge" style that I appreciate it. He was getting some extra pushes in at the edge of the mat, but, nothing too big. It certainly didn't deserve the response by the MSU wrestler, who basically threw a punch at Evans during the one tie-up where the ref stopped the match. I honestly think that Evans face gauge should have been called as unsportsmanlike, and I'm guessing there was some intent, but, Evans was likely ticked from being punched earlier in the match.

So, MSU isn't without fault, as both of their wrestlers were just as guilty, if not more than the Iowa wrestlers. However, the Iowa defenders acting like their wrestlers were just innocently targeted are reaching. DSJ threw a cheap shot and the MSU kid lost it. At 174, the MSU kid threw some cheap shots, and in my opinion, Evans retaliated with a couple of claws to the face. I thought the official failed to maintain control and is much to blame for what occurred.

The DSJ thing I can definitely see. He definitely did something in Watts' face (whether it was a small shove or a semi-punch or whatever it's hard to tell from the video, but it was something). Evans is being dragged in here based off nothing other than the fact the kid happened to start bleeding, which happens all of the time in wrestling.

Spontaneous bleeding !!! :lol: That's it !!!!!

I really hope nobody spontaneously catches on fire !! I've seen that on TV ya' know ... Now that would really be a bummer. :o Wonder how the ref's would deal with that. Probably call the guy on fire for stalling ..

VAC .. ;)

Gotta love the "outrage" from the usual suspects:

Hurricane expertly dissecting some still frames ..."the ref is raising his arm" despite the hand being below his waist in every frame. But I will give you some credit Hurricane, admitting that Watts' reaction was "so extreme, it could be deemed the greater transgression." Yes, just just possibly.

Wire and Hurricane bringing up matches from years prior... Metcalf, DSJ allegedly doing bad things, thereby supporting the current condemnations.

And at the same time, Headshuck reminding us that bringing up a years prior Sanders stomping on Robles was not relevant, and "silly."

No matter what, if it's Iowa, some posters will take it to the max. Metcalf pressing his forearm down on D Schlatter's head becomes "infamous," while Metcalf getting repeatedly and intentionally knee'd in the face, leading to DQ of opponent gets little or no outrage from the Iowa haters.

Brands stepping out on mat. Some illegal hunting adventure. Iowa scheduling non d1 opponents. Iowa skipping nat'l duals. No matter what... some folks love to blow minor and relatively non events into something more.

It's a recurring theme.

Sure, but you guys were pretty quick to excuse St. John. Watts gave an Iowa-style shove out of bounds. DSJ let him have a little pop to the face. Watts threw the haymaker.

Switch the names Watts and DSJ in the above, and nobody would have conveniently missed the inciting jab.

I only speak up because of the contrast between what was posted here and what I later watched... That and MSU has less than 3 fans around here.

It would be brought up regardless of who was wrestling. The Iowa "we get picked on" defense is just as old and tired as those who obviously spew extra hate towards Iowa because of their success in the sport.

Both cases of being too emotionally attached to an institution. Perhaps we're all guilty.

This is a non-issue either way. Nobody is going to be punished like Hurricane preposed the NCAA would deem necessary. Please, the NCAA is still dealing with State Penn and doesnt have the time for non revenue producing sports like wrestling.

On the other hand, MSU may have 3 fans around these parts, but those 3 fans are all they have in the stands too at their duals.

DSJ is not innocent here. He punched the guy from Michigan and he punched the Michigan State kid in back to back matches, both of them when his opponent gave a little "Iowa-style" OOB shove.

I really don't have a huge problem with it but don't act like this is a one-time thing for DSJ. He did it twice in 3 days.

DSJ is not innocent here. He punched the guy from Michigan and he punched the Michigan State kid in back to back matches, both of them when his opponent gave a little "Iowa-style" OOB shove.

I really don't have a huge problem with it but don't act like this is a one-time thing for DSJ. He did it twice in 3 days.

I like it. The guy has fire and the will to be great.

Spontaneous bleeding !!! :lol: That's it !!!!!

I really hope nobody spontaneously catches on fire !! I've seen that on TV ya' know ... Now that would really be a bummer. :o Wonder how the ref's would deal with that. Probably call the guy on fire for stalling ..

VAC .. ;)

Yeah, because that's what I said.

Ur an idiot. Just take any chance u can to take shots at the hawks. Go and play grab ass with the kids from gopher cribs. If they focused more on wrestling maybe they wouldn't be getting throttled by inferior opponents

I like it. The guy has fire and the will to be great.

Too bad that fire and will will never get him mentioned with the likes of dake and taylor. I suppose it's better to be known for being dirty than nothing at all? :lol:

For the most part, I agree with you about DSJ. I watched the earlier highlight clip to see what set Watts off. Afterwards, I said it looked like Watts was reacting to a subtle left-hook by DSJ. I've since enlarged some frames from that clip and now believe there can be little, if any, doubt that DSJ threw a punch. It may not have had a lot of steam on it, but it was a punch nonetheless.

Below are the frames. The descriptions are what I saw on the video clip when these stills were captured. I also watched the BTN broadcast of the match, which provided a different video angle - and it confirmed my opinion. BTW, both announcers concurred it was a punch right after it happened, as well as on a later replay. They're associated with MSU but called it straight, IMO. Neither made a big deal of it. One of them, Ben Boudro, was even somewhat dismissive. He said wrestling tends to get aggressive before he described the incident. Then he concluded with; "But, that's that, we're back to wrestling." (Boudro wrestled for MSU and is now working on a masters degree there.)

Now, the stills. As shown below both wrestlers have just gone out-of-bounds. And DSJ has cocked his left arm back. (Keep in mind my descriptions are based on the action in the videos, not interpretations of still images in isolation.)

8403459159_1b3868bb79_z.jpg

Next DSJ throws the cocked left upward towards Watts' chin.

8403460639_e5d2f75f81_z.jpg

DSJ's left apparently strikes the left side of Watts' jaw and/or chin.

8404554212_d4cc2870cf_z.jpg

This still shows DSJ following through with the left. You can clearly see his left hand is in the shape of a fist. This looks much the same as illustrations in boxing instruction books that show how to turn over the fist when throwing a punch. Also, look at the position of Watts' head as compared to the previous still. As suggested by these stills, the video shows that DSJ's blow snapped Watts' head back slightly.

8403462761_4d229c4854_z.jpg

Based on the above, I think most reasonable people would agree that the above stills depict something much closer in definition to a "punch" than "a mild face shove at worst" (as one poster called it).

At any rate, my interest in this match was in seeing if there was any explanation why Watts suddenly began throwing all those punches. And, since that occurred immediately after the above sequence, I'm confident I found the answer. And however one might characterize the above out-of-bounds action by DSJ (punch, backhand, face slap, etc.), I think it very reasonable and fair to conclude that it instigated the fisticuffs by Watts. (And, as I've previously stated, that doesn't mean that Watts' wasn't guilty of over-reacting. But, that's a different subject than what started the whole fracas to begin with.)

For the most part, I agree with you about DSJ. I watched the earlier highlight clip to see what set Watts off. Afterwards, I said it looked like Watts was reacting to a subtle left-hook by DSJ. I've since enlarged some frames from that clip and now believe there can be little, if any, doubt that DSJ threw a punch. It may not have had a lot of steam on it, but it was a punch nonetheless.

Below are the frames. The descriptions are what I saw on the video clip when these stills were captured. I also watched the BTN broadcast of the match, which provided a different video angle - and it confirmed my opinion. BTW, both announcers concurred it was a punch right after it happened, as well as on a later replay. They're associated with MSU but called it straight, IMO. Neither made a big deal of it. One of them, Ben Boudro, was even somewhat dismissive. He said wrestling tends to get aggressive before he described the incident. Then he concluded with; "But, that's that, we're back to wrestling." (Boudro wrestled for MSU and is now working on a masters degree there.)

Now, the stills. As shown below both wrestlers have just gone out-of-bounds. And DSJ has cocked his left arm back. (Keep in mind my descriptions are based on the action in the videos, not interpretations of still images in isolation.)

This still shows DSJ following through with the left. You can clearly see his left hand is in the shape of a fist. This looks much the same as illustrations in boxing instruction books that show how to turn over the fist when throwing a punch. Also, look at the position of Watts' head as compared to the previous still. As suggested by these stills, the video shows that DSJ's blow snapped Watts' head back slightly.

Based on the above, I think most reasonable people would agree that the above stills depict something much closer in definition to a "punch" than "a mild face shove at worst" (as one poster called it).

At any rate, my interest in this match was in seeing if there was any explanation why Watts suddenly began throwing all those punches. And, since that occurred immediately after the above sequence, I'm confident I found the answer. And however one might characterize the above out-of-bounds action by DSJ (punch, backhand, face slap, etc.), I think it very reasonable and fair to conclude that it instigated the fisticuffs by Watts. (And, as I've previously stated, that doesn't mean that Watts' wasn't guilty of over-reacting. But, that's a different subject than what started the whole fracas to begin with.)