Sign in to follow this  
TakedownfromMotown

Metcalf coaching future

As a Michigan high school wrestling fan, i'd love to see Metcalf coaching back here soon.  I know Michigan State will do nothing, as they always do, but it would be a perfect fit for him.  A big ten program in his home state, I'm guessing he'd be able to recruit immediately and bring that abomination back quickly.  I think McFarlane will be done soon, but I imagine the Bormet, Churella combo would be next in line.  At what age did Cael step in at Iowa St. and take that program?  No disrespect meant at all but taking an assistant high school coaching job seems a little beneath him.  Not that he won't have fun and be a huge asset. Though perhaps his wife finishing her graduate degree at Iowa has more to do with his current choice, which would be admirable. Would love to see him coaching in the big ten and running his own program, preferably here in Michigan!  I know Brands isn't going anywhere, which I'm sure would be his dream spot.  I would have thought maybe a year or two under him and then a head job.  I guess we'll see what happens.

I'd love to see him go the HS route and see about building a powerhouse in either Michigan or Iowa.  Spend a few years there, build a pipe line to college and then when the right job opens up, throw his hat in and get started on his college coaching career.  

What a great guy, hope nothing but success for him at what ever level he's at.    

I'd love to see him go the HS route and see about building a powerhouse in either Michigan or Iowa.  Spend a few years there, build a pipe line to college and then when the right job opens up, throw his hat in and get started on his college coaching career.  

What a great guy, hope nothing but success for him at what ever level he's at.    

not a bigger fan of Brent's than ol' Cletus.

It's heartbreaking to see our elite athletes broken like this.  Metcalf is a warrior and poured his heart into the sport.  We failed him by setting him up for failure.  Without a world/Olympic medal, he is fighting an uphill battle in terms of coaching in college.  It is still possible though, as people like Tom Ryan and Pop show, and he seems to have the mental makeup to be an excellent coach.  

It's heartbreaking to see our elite athletes broken like this. Metcalf is a warrior and poured his heart into the sport. We failed him by setting him up for failure. Without a world/Olympic medal, he is fighting an uphill battle in terms of coaching in college. It is still possible though, as people like Tom Ryan and Pop show, and he seems to have the mental makeup to be an excellent coach.

By the standard you set, guys like Bellicheck, Phil Jackson, and other marginal/average athletes should never have been hired. This is the problem with wrestling.

Really?

I'm a huge fan of your sn though! 

Yes, look how quickly Coleman Scott was moved into a good HC position.  I'm not saying that the way the system works is a good thing, but having a world/olympic medal definitely is a leg up.  

By the standard you set, guys like Bellicheck, Phil Jackson, and other marginal/average athletes should never have been hired. This is the problem with wrestling.

I'm not saying it's right.  Just that it is how it works in wrestling.  There are exceptions, obviously, but look around the coaching landscape at top programs.  It makes a big difference.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Well remember Scott kind of only got the nod becuse Coach Mock took such a hard stance on a very touchy issue. I can't remember how long he was the interim HC, but I imagine in that time as interim coach he reached out to some great mentors who helped him, and in that time he showed the adminstration he could get the job done (and by all acounts he looks to be doing just that). 

Metcalf has a huge resume (aside from the Olympc bronze), and rubbed elbows with pretty similar people/mentors as Scott. Similar to Ryan and Pop, you can throw names out like Bono and Kish for two examples of guys without olympic medals who are head coaching. Or look at Smith or Spates at SIUE. I completely agree about the Olympic/World medals being a benefit, but Metcalf is one of the top 10 college wrestlers in the last decade who happened to be mentored by a few other top 10ers collegiately. I think he'll do just fine finding a coaching job collegiately...heck at minimum he could take the Kevin Ward route and do well at DII and then go HC a DI program 

Perhaps start hiring the margin/average over the Smith's the Gables, The Sanderson's and the Dougla's?     That could be Briliant!  

Bill Belichick and Phil Jackson worked their way to HC from the bottom, though. Belichick talks about starting out as a lowly assistant coach making less than $30 a week.  It took him over 16 years to land his first head coaching gig. Phil Jackson started out coaching in Puerto Rico and the defunct CBA. It was almost a decade before he was HC of the Bulls.  Even Coach K had to put in his time under Bobby Knight and coaching Army basketball before taking the helm at Duke's (then) dumpy basketball program.

I want Brent Metcalf to land a high profile HC/AHC gig right now, but I also don't think there's anything wrong with building a bedrock of coaching experience and success first. Either way, I don't think anyone will flinch when he lands (and it will happen, and hopefully sooner than later) a coveted coaching position. 

I hope the kids at Cedar Rapids Prairie make the most out of Metcalf while he's there.  What a privilege.