Sign in to follow this  
2td3nf

Congratulations to Helen!

I live in a neighboring town next to Helen's home town of Rockville, MD. Lots of news about her here. Here's a piece from the local NBC station that was done on her back in her high school days. Its been an interesting journey thus far.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/Rio-Rewind-Rockvilles-Helen-Maroulis-at-Magruder_Washington-DC-390640521.html

I live in a neighboring town next to Helen's home town of Rockville, MD. Lots of news about her here. Here's a piece from the local NBC station that was done on her back in her high school days. Its been an interesting journey thus far.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/Rio-Rewind-Rockvilles-Helen-Maroulis-at-Magruder_Washington-DC-390640521.html

That's perfect, Smedley.

Thanks!

Agreed, really enjoyed that. She showed a lot of emotion and pride after that win and on the medal stand. I think she brought in a lot of positive press for wrestling; NBC gave her plenty of coverage in replays, after match activity and the award ceremony. Her agent has to be salivating with they think about the sponsorship opportunities; wrestling gold with that face, awesome. 

Way to go Helen!! 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Bad concussion news? She got a bad one before, and then in India. Each concussion is worse then the last. Every concussion going forward will be easier to get. When you are an adult every concussion takes years off of your quality of life as you get older. Sometimes kids can nip it in the bud as far as severity of long term effects. Bad ones almost always change personalities to some extent.

She got concussed bad in India. Sort of explains her off performances. This is bad concussion number 2. First one was in 2015. There is active discussion on how much longer she will wrestle. As there should be.

He is some of the scary stuff I read, she was entirely light sensitive and had vision issues. We had a dark house for months with my kid. Dark sunglasses even then. Other vision issues with Helen. Reni couldn't read for three years. Personality changes. Loss of rational control. A lot of this stuff is permanent. Athletes are so driven, it takes a lot to get them to stop.

People around her need to help her make these decisions. Besides my kid, remember Cafe Olivas. Perhaps the best youth wrestler ever? Dominated Cali state, dominated super32, then had some sketchy performances (for him) in the spring, and was gone. Same thing. He was where my kid got concussion number one. Great kid. Family was driven on his skills but in the end made the right call.

People around her need to help her make these decisions. Besides my kid, remember Cafe Olivas. Perhaps the best youth wrestler ever? Dominated Cali state, dominated super32, then had some sketchy performances (for him) in the spring, and was gone. Same thing. He was where my kid got concussion number one. Great kid. Family was driven on his skills but in the end made the right call.

The thing that bothers me most about the article is they are trying to find "things"to allow her to continue to compete with what is a traumatic brain injury. Best story on the weirdness, and how weird things can be normal. Reni was given the follow the finger test in the rehab hospital. Went 100% blind. Fixed stare, no response to stimuli, the whole thing. Staff lost their minds. In every 5 minutes. Trying different things. Then it came back. LOL, they did it one more time by mistake (chart said no). Same thing 30 minutes less. So, eventually I get home with a broken kid. Take her to a doctor, who did that follow the finger test, she goes blind, he loses it a bit, I tell him it is "normal". Seriously, I called it "normal". Brain injuries are weird and scary but when you live it 24/7, it all becomes just another day.

Not to hijack the thread, how is she functioning now? In the case of Helen, I wonder if she is willing to be tracked as a case study like they are doing with the NFL?

This was the article I was talking about. As much as I enjoy her wrestling, and would like to see her win more medals, she needs to stop, and family should step in and try to convince her. Adults don't recover even a little bit. Junior Seau was a beloved local. His first attempt at suicide was driving off a cliff in Carlsbad, .ca.. They called it an unknown reason of a crash. I mentioned to somebody, having heard of issues, it sounded like a suicide attempt. Not all that long after a gun did it. He was a prisoner of a damaged brain and couldn't take it anymore. Absolutely the nicest guy and a supporter of his community.

Just reading what the article say, it makes me angry. Her rushing back just seems totally irresponsible — and the people around her seem irresponsible as well.

I have limited info and I am no doctor ... but it seems she needs better people around her rather than those that let her push into wrestling so quickly during that series in India and now.

It seems to be a horrible example to set for others and young folks. An over abundance of caution should be used.

Again, just know what I read in the article. Would welcome other perspectives and facts.

Sad and angry .... does USA wrestling have any say? Suppose if doctor says she is good to go ... they don’t. Curious to hear what her doctor is saying.

Scary.