55 replies to this topic

#1 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:01 PM

Dear Helen,

Awesome job going out there on the mat and bringing home Olympic gold! Way to make history!

We are so proud of you!

Sincerely,

The American wrestling fans

• headshuck, KTG119 and TheRealOne9050 like this

#2 Smedley

Smedley

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:16 PM

I live in a neighboring town next to Helen's home town of Rockville, MD. Lots of news about her here. Here's a piece from the local NBC station that was done on her back in her high school days. Its been an interesting journey thus far.

http://www.nbcwashin...-390640521.html

David Taylor is a two time Spanish Grand Prix Champion.... at two different weights.

#3 denger

denger

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:54 PM

I live in a neighboring town next to Helen's home town of Rockville, MD. Lots of news about her here. Here's a piece from the local NBC station that was done on her back in her high school days. Its been an interesting journey thus far.

http://www.nbcwashin...-390640521.html

That's perfect, Smedley.

Thanks!

#4 cm_111

cm_111

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:50 PM

Great match, she did herself, her family, her friends and her country proud. 

"I swear it upon Zeus an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler." - Socrates

Apparently the IOC feels that golf & rugby are far better sports for nation building and showing athletic prowess. Stand back Socrates, stand back two thousand years of warriors competing in the sport of true warriors, & stand back you future crop of true athletes who have dreamed from a young age of representing your country in the games.

#5 Flying-Tiger

Flying-Tiger

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,604 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:24 AM

Agreed, really enjoyed that. She showed a lot of emotion and pride after that win and on the medal stand. I think she brought in a lot of positive press for wrestling; NBC gave her plenty of coverage in replays, after match activity and the award ceremony. Her agent has to be salivating with they think about the sponsorship opportunities; wrestling gold with that face, awesome. 

Way to go Helen!! 

Edited by Flying-Tiger, 19 August 2016 - 12:25 AM.

A Kinder, Gentler Machine Gun Hand

#6 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:31 AM

Reading her comments after her victory, I'm especially impressed by her as a person.  What a class act.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#7 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:03 AM

bump

#8 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,913 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:15 AM

Bad concussion news? She got a bad one before, and then in India. Each concussion is worse then the last. Every concussion going forward will be easier to get. When you are an adult every concussion takes years off of your quality of life as you get older. Sometimes kids can nip it in the bud as far as severity of long term effects. Bad ones almost always change personalities to some extent.

#9 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

Sorry what happened? 

#10 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,913 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:37 AM

She got concussed bad in India. Sort of explains her off performances. This is bad concussion number 2. First one was in 2015. There is active discussion on how much longer she will wrestle. As there should be.

#11 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,913 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:54 AM

He is some of the scary stuff I read, she was entirely light sensitive and had vision issues. We had a dark house for months with my kid. Dark sunglasses even then. Other vision issues with Helen. Reni couldn't read for three years. Personality changes. Loss of rational control. A lot of this stuff is permanent. Athletes are so driven, it takes a lot to get them to stop.

#12 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,913 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:57 AM

Look up, "Helen Maroulis wrestled in the dark with concussion", by NBC Sports. Scary stuff.

#13 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,913 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:02 PM

People around her need to help her make these decisions. Besides my kid, remember Cafe Olivas. Perhaps the best youth wrestler ever? Dominated Cali state, dominated super32, then had some sketchy performances (for him) in the spring, and was gone. Same thing. He was where my kid got concussion number one. Great kid. Family was driven on his skills but in the end made the right call.

#14 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,913 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:02 PM

People around her need to help her make these decisions. Besides my kid, remember Cafe Olivas. Perhaps the best youth wrestler ever? Dominated Cali state, dominated super32, then had some sketchy performances (for him) in the spring, and was gone. Same thing. He was where my kid got concussion number one. Great kid. Family was driven on his skills but in the end made the right call.

#15 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,913 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:38 PM

The thing that bothers me most about the article is they are trying to find "things"to allow her to continue to compete with what is a traumatic brain injury. Best story on the weirdness, and how weird things can be normal. Reni was given the follow the finger test in the rehab hospital. Went 100% blind. Fixed stare, no response to stimuli, the whole thing. Staff lost their minds. In every 5 minutes. Trying different things. Then it came back. LOL, they did it one more time by mistake (chart said no). Same thing 30 minutes less. So, eventually I get home with a broken kid. Take her to a doctor, who did that follow the finger test, she goes blind, he loses it a bit, I tell him it is "normal". Seriously, I called it "normal". Brain injuries are weird and scary but when you live it 24/7, it all becomes just another day.

#16 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

Not to hijack the thread, how is she functioning now? In the case of Helen, I wonder if she is willing to be tracked as a case study like they are doing with the NFL?

#17 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

why doesn't this have its own topic...

#18 spladle

spladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:46 PM

Wtf, are you the thread police?

#19 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,761 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:05 PM

why doesn't this have its own topic...

I see your point. Congratulatory thread from 2016 got bumped and it took a sobering tone. I suspect many of us are trying to learn more through Google.

#20 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,761 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:12 PM

What I found...

https://olympics.nbc...concussion/amp/
  • hammerlockthree likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users