Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:11 PM

Bump

#42 Alwayswrestling

Alwayswrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:40 PM

If one steps on the mat they should be considered healthy and wrestled as such. JMO

#43 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:34 AM

If one steps on the mat they should be considered healthy and wrestled as such. JMO

I agree, but it’s one thing to hit a low single on a wrapped leg, another to go heavy on the head with someone who is dealing with a major concussion situation.

#44 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:37 AM

I agree, but it’s one thing to hit a low single on a wrapped leg, another to go heavy on the head with someone who is dealing with a major concussion situation.

Agree to an extent, but heavy on the head is a big part of wrestling. Not saying one should target that particularly injury. For example if one’s style is to stay out of ties and wrestle from space, but then changes their game plan to go heavy on the head against that particular opponent and their injury, that’s one thing. But it shouldn’t be up to the opponent to not wrestle their match because of an injury situation. It’s up the injured athlete/coaches not to put themselves in harms way.

#45 Alwayswrestling

Alwayswrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:56 AM

NJWC I agree what I meant I would not change my wrestling style because of a injury of my opponent.

#46 NJWC

NJWC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:24 AM

I agree with you guys, just saying I wouldn’t lose sleep over reinjuring a knee or shoulder of an opponent.
Permanent brain trauma would give me pause.

#47 Buckxell

Buckxell

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:07 AM

Bump

Thanks... I assumed she was healthy since she wrestled at Beat the Streets event. What I was wondering was if she got another concussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#48 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:44 AM

wow... i totally missed this thread somehow...

closed head injuries are not anything to be messed with... i come from racing and have had my share, most of my friends have had as well, know several people in 100% care and in wheel chairs from head injuries... one of those even made it back to the pits appearing just fine after a major crash... 15 minutes later he was in a coma and life flighted out of there from brain swelling... physically he has never recovered... he was 16 at the time...

my youngest got a concussion last year wrestling and i kept him out for over two months after the symptoms had totally subsided before i would allow him to do anything... my oldest claimed i was babying him... it was a thing... last week at cadet duals, the oldest got popped pretty good and got concussed... didn't realize it in the match, but, he was up big and then just went to his back and got stuck... it was weird... diagnosed after match with concussion... he doesn't remember anything... i got in contact with the coaches just to verify he was done for the rest of the tourney... USA wrestling red carded him immediately and i was very thankful for that, so, at least in age group they are making the right calls...

i am not sure who is advising maroulis, but, i am not impressed... a friend (kid) was at the OTC awhile back (within the last 2 months) and they asked if he would roll with maroulis a little bit... she was in sunglasses indoors... they told him light drilling and nothing to the head... she should have been at home in a nice dark, quiet place... no ifs ands or buts... the fact she was moving around was scary to me...

with that being said, if she steps on the mat she should be considered fair game to all opponents... and if an opponent knows the situation and has any misgivings about it at all, then it is up to them to not wrestle her forfeit or not...

i am not sure if there is any kind of process to formally object to her being in a competitive environment, but, that should be handled the moment the wrestler in question was listed on the bracket for anyone who is unsure of whether or not they want to compete with anyone in a similar situation...

#49 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:10 AM

I agree with you guys, just saying I wouldn’t lose sleep over reinjuring a knee or shoulder of an opponent.
Permanent brain trauma would give me pause.

Yes true point.

#50 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:14 AM

@LJB - wow! I had no idea that head injuries were something racers deal with but it makes sense.

I'm sure Helen has a lot of pressure to go out and compete for the sake of Team USA, for the sport, for her sponsors and for herself but hopefully she will do what's best for her long-term livelihood and vitality.  Those brain injuries sound pretty serious and scary.

#51 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:18 AM

to clarify, motorcycle racing... head injuries have always been a thing in that sport... when one of our buddies would end up with a compound fracture of the femur, we would all be like, "whew!!! that's not too bad... he will be ok..."

#52 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,913 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:34 PM

to clarify, motorcycle racing... head injuries have always been a thing in that sport... when one of our buddies would end up with a compound fracture of the femur, we would all be like, "whew!!! that's not too bad... he will be ok..."

Yup, it's why, especially with dirt bikes, it is a young guys sport. 

#53 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,769 posts

Posted Today, 02:04 AM

road racing for me personally, which, can extend participation well later in life if you can bring it down from 11 to a relatively mild 8.5...

#54 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,913 posts

Posted Today, 03:27 AM

road racing for me personally, which, can extend participation well later in life if you can bring it down from 11 to a relatively mild 8.5...

Yeah, I wasn't very good on dirt but better than middle of the pack on the road. I was at the front with the knee dragging stuff at the local mountains. Those who were faster on the streets tended to crash and sometimes die. At 57 I tend not to push limits anymore.

#55 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,769 posts

Posted Today, 03:45 AM

i thought i was quick on the street until i actually started racing at the track... the 2 are not even comparable... i immediately quit riding on the street and then spent 15 years trying to break everything i could... i succeeded more often than not... 

my younger son started racing when he was 5... that was an entirely different emotion all together...

we bailed about 4 years ago for a variety of reasons, but, very recently made the decision to get back into some "light" mini stuff... time to start rearranging the skeletal system once again...

#56 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,913 posts

Posted Today, 10:51 AM

i thought i was quick on the street until i actually started racing at the track... the 2 are not even comparable... i immediately quit riding on the street and then spent 15 years trying to break everything i could... i succeeded more often than not...

my younger son started racing when he was 5... that was an entirely different emotion all together...

we bailed about 4 years ago for a variety of reasons, but, very recently made the decision to get back into some "light" mini stuff... time to start rearranging the skeletal system once again...

Funny thing is, a few guys who I road with, doing the knee dragging up mountains thing, were VERY good. But just out of control crazy (coming from me that says a lot). They couldn't get there license because instead of just showing basic skills in test runs they tried to race everybody. Black flagged almost from the get go. Most of them are dead. I had my moments on the track but to many other activities going on, and not enough money to be very active. It was fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users