• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#341 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

Cletus, All, do we know who Russia is sending at 74kg this year? Is it Geduev again or did he move up?

#342 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:43 AM

Khetik Tsabolov, 2014 World Champion at 70kg is Russia's entry at 74kg this year.

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

#343 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:49 AM

Shiraz, you have to forgive my American brethren. To the majority of USA international styles fans, the world centers mostly around USA and our athletes. Year after year it's the same thing. Nearly every American wrestler is predicted to bring home a medal, and more often than not, it seems Gold is the popular choice. I have tried unsuccessfully for years to temper expectations and to explain the enormous talent which exists outside our once proud borders, But do they listed?

I usually attend the world's and this year is no exception. I study all of the top international entries and I put together my best prognostication. What do the Americans respond with? Anger and vitriol mostly, and with 1 or 2 who are reasonable and realistic with their own assessments.

Shiraz this year UAS has assembled one of its better line ups and I look forward to possibly as many as 3 medals. Any more would be Santa coming early for our dedicated team and unrealistic fans. I don't have to tell you, you've seen some of the very abysmal predictions in recent past.

Some key weights of interest for me and potential match ups include at 57 kg, can Gilman negotiate through his bracket and face the Japanese? I'd love to see it.

Burroughs was destroyed last year at the Olympics. Can he get a rematch with his conqueror and reverse the result?

Cox returns to the big stage but now scouted and not necessarily with much time for improvement. Can he reach the podium as well How will he perform should he meet the Olympic champion from a weight below? Yazdani is absolutely magnificent. I would love to see this match up .

Snyder vs Sadulaev has been the buzz of the wrestling world. Who wins this super colossal mega match? 65 kg received a shot in the arm for USA after so many uninspiring efforts as a country collectively over the past several years, but can the new blood keep it going, or are we returning to mediocrity as this weight? Boy I'd love to have Pico here.

There are many story lines and a loaded world USA will have to contend with. Top 4 as a country is cause for a celebration. Best wishes to all

My old friend Cletus. I am looking forward to discussing the world championships with you as we have done the past few years. Your keen insight is always valued and appreciated by me. USA Wrestling has truely put forward a powerful team this year, and I look forward to seeing how they do.

I am happy to hear that you will be attending as you have the past few years. It was great to sit next to you in Vegas and discuss the tournament. Although Metcalf's catastrophic performance did dampen the mood.

Edited by Shiraz123, 14 August 2017 - 01:29 AM.

• Cletus_Tucker likes this

#344 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 28,829 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

Shiraz, you have to forgive my American brethren.        To the majority of USA international styles fans, the world centers mostly around USA and our athletes.    Year after year it's the same thing.    Nearly every American wrestler is predicted to bring home a medal, and more often than not, it seems Gold is the popular choice.   I have tried unsuccessfully for years to temper expectations and to explain the enormous talent which exists outside our once proud borders,   But do they listed?    

I usually attend the world's and this year is no exception.  I study all of the top international entries and I put together my best prognostication.    What do the Americans respond with?    Anger and vitriol mostly, and with 1 or 2 who are reasonable and realistic with their own assessments.   

Shiraz this year UAS has assembled one of its better line ups and I look forward to possibly as many as 3 medals.   Any more would be Santa coming early for our dedicated team and unrealistic fans.    I don't have to tell you, you've seen some of the very abysmal predictions in recent past.    

Some key weights of interest for me and potential match ups include at 57 kg, can Gilman negotiate through his bracket and face the Japanese?   I'd love to see it.   

Burroughs was destroyed last year at the Olympics.   Can he get a rematch with his conqueror and reverse the result? 

Cox returns to the big stage but now scouted and not necessarily with much time for improvement.   Can he reach the podium as well    How will he perform should he meet the Olympic champion from a weight below?    Yazdani is absolutely magnificent.  I would love to see this match up .

Snyder vs Sadulaev has been the  buzz of the wrestling world.   Who wins this super colossal mega match?    65 kg received a shot in the arm for USA after so many uninspiring efforts as a country collectively over the past several years, but can the new blood keep it going, or are we returning to mediocrity as this weight?    Boy I'd love to have Pico here.        

There are many story lines and a loaded world USA will have to contend with.   Top 4 as a country is cause for a celebration.      Best wishes to all 

I take issue with Burroughs being destroyed. He lost a tough match to the eventual silver medalist (who perhaps should have won) and then quit. That is different than being destroyed. Actually I think quitting is worse. But he seems to be trying to atone for that. 

I agree with Cox analysis. If he is on and wrestling tactical I like his chances. If he has any kind of brain lock (Taylor number one) then there is little room for error. I see him as a possible medal but not to win.

Zain - close but par terre on top is weak (bow and arrow takes too much time). Lots of little international technique needed. I think he has potential but needs fine tuning in the style.

Gilman - Seems to have found his style.  Like a Saunders or Jackson. Did not win the title but maybe considered the best wrestler in that weight area. He seems comfortable wrestling FS and the pressure is off. I think that works for him. As a little guy he was also having so much fun.

Steiber - boy did a lot of guys come up to him. And scouted now. I see him giving up something and the depth being able to block off with a lead.

Snyder - Sadulaev - I think size gives it to Snyder this year. After this year all bets are off.

#345 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:02 PM

after saduleav has a cow injected into his butt...

#346 TBar1977

TBar1977

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,747 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:03 PM

Burroughs can win, but not a lock and maybe not favorite any longer.

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#347 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:10 AM

Khetik Tsabolov, 2014 World Champion at 70kg is Russia's entry at 74kg this year.

Thanks Jason!

#348 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,294 posts

Posted Today, 12:47 PM

After watching a few matches of some of the favorites here at 74, Tsabolov (RUS) looks real dangerous with potent offense at any time. Demirtas (TUR) looks like he likes to keep it close (and do nothing) and then strike at the end of the match to win it. Again, only saw a few of their matches.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

2td3nf