CoachWrestling

74kg discussion

It's so hard to bounce back from a loss.  Especially when all you cared about was gold and the guy you're competing against would love to just get a bronze.

I would not look at a repechage match and immediately assume injury due to bad performance.  

I did notice most every time someone shot and scored on him. They finger locked him and as he is trying to break free (shake his hand out) they shot and got to his legs. That is failure to adapt and good coaching on the other side. Pathetic performance by the US team so far. Minus Helen.... this team didn't come to wrestle. 

He didn't look specifically injured today.  I'd be more inclined to believe a past injury that prevented him from training in the weeks leading up to the Olympics.  He looked off in his timing, winded, and not confident today far more than he looked physically injured.

I just saw the TF too. I usually don't look for excuses, but there has to be an explanation for what happened here. 

We won't hear any excuses out of JB. He's only ever given props to the guys who beat him. I'm curious to hear him reflect on it too, though. It's gotta be a devastating realization to sort through. 

I think JB is was too deflated and mentally fatigued to get up for the bronze when he was going for GOLD.

That's the most obvious explanation in the absence of his having any kind of something else going on. It would be really disappointing if that were the case because JB has always been so mentally tough. It seems in every world championship he overcame some adversity in fantastic style. He had a broken ankle, a big cut on his head, Tsargush grabbing his singlet and so on. 

We won't hear any excuses out of JB. He's only ever given props to the guys who beat him. I'm curious to hear him reflect on it too, though. It's gotta be a devastating realization to sort through. 

Agreed. He's not an excuse maker and if it's simply that he didn't feel well or was tired or something, it seems unlikely. But if it turns out he had a concussion or something more serious, then we would likely hear about it. 

That's the most obvious explanation in the absence of his having any kind of something else going on. It would be really disappointing if that were the case because JB has always been so mentally tough. It seems in every world championship he overcame some adversity in fantastic style. He had a broken ankle, a big cut on his head, Tsargush grabbing his singlet and so on. 

Yeah who really knows but at this stage I think Bronze or not finishing first is just not enough for him.