CoachWrestling

74kg discussion

He can become the first U.S. wrestler to win consecutive Olympic gold medals since John Smith in 1992. Burroughs also has three World Championships, one shy of Smith's record. If he adds gold to his resume here?

"You could consider me the best wrestler of all time if I win," he said without a trace of braggadocio. "You could."

I disagree with what you're saying. JB looked for attacks in the first 5 minutes, Geduev was in perfect position and stopped him before it could even look like an attack. 

Then why did he get in repeatedly as soon as he turned up the pace?  As soon as JB was forced into a sense of urgency he was all over Geduev's legs for the rest of the match.  Before that he danced around the outside, broke all the ties, and barely level changed. 

We got it Willie, stop rubbing salt into the wound.

There is no salt. Just reality.

He better hope the guy who beat him keeps going or he is out of it completely.

Maybe this will turn out to be positive like Gable losing to Owings was?

Edited by WillieBoy

He can become the first U.S. wrestler to win consecutive Olympic gold medals since John Smith in 1992. Burroughs also has three World Championships, one shy of Smith's record. If he adds gold to his resume here?

"You could consider me the best wrestler of all time if I win," he said without a trace of braggadocio. "You could."

That's a true statement. What are you going on about?

Edited by CoachWrestling

He can become the first U.S. wrestler to win consecutive Olympic gold medals since John Smith in 1992. Burroughs also has three World Championships, one shy of Smith's record. If he adds gold to his resume here?

So your just gonna start bashing him now that he lost?

I agree the better man won TBar but when your trying to move a giant muscle that would wear on everyone but the very best conditioned athletes.

Geduev vs yazdani should be a good one.

Is it just a coincidence that the two most media hyped wrestlers (Gray and JB) took early exits?

Yes, I think it is a coincidence.  This is the olympics.  Upsets like these happen every single time.  Think about Kudkhov 4 years ago.  Or Varner somehow coming out of 97kg.  Yoshida losing yesterday.  Crazy things happen.  

Is it just a coincidence that the two most media hyped wrestlers (Gray and JB) took early exits?

Maybe. Something to consider is that overall the United States is not good in wrestling compared to the rest of the planet. Maybe having our outliers who tend to perform very well lose in the Olympics will give USA Wrestling a kick in the butt. Time to consider a fresh approach to coaching and training, and dare I say adopting freestyle in the college system?

Maybe. Something to consider is that overall the United States is not good in wrestling compared to the rest of the planet. Maybe having our outliers who tend to perform very well lose in the Olympics will give USA Wrestling a kick in the butt. Time to consider a fresh approach to coaching and training, and dare I say adopting freestyle in the college system?

It's never going to happen, not even worth talking about. We'd have 5% of the coaches we have now. 

Another disappointing Olympic showing by the US mens team.

Insanity = doing the same thing and expecting different results. Until something changes nothing will change.

Congratulations to JB on an awesome career, he just didn't have enough today

Stop it. That's ridiculous.  He lost.  Not because of his mouth, but because of his performance.  He was saying the same things in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015.

I will be interested to hear if something is/was wrong with him.  Injury-wise.  In his first match he just didn't look right after the first period.  Either way, he didn't have the gas tank we are accustomed to seeing.  and I don't mean that, Iowa-style. Iranian style gas tank.  I mean the, rope-a-dope, here comes the scramble and 7 shots in a row gas tank.  That he didn't fire off at the end of the 1st period says a lot.  He was biding his time.

He DEFINITELY got too strategic, and I don't know if he didn't FEEL like he could fire off in the first, or was just content that Geduev would be the one put on the clock in the second.

When he had the intent of scoring, he was 1-for-2.  He's always said he's fine with the missed opportunities because he has the gas tank to create another one.

I am utterly depressed.  Can't believe I saw that happen.  Just my two cents, I hope he goes back to the lab.  It's clear, that when he wants to score he can, but those flurries are taking more out of him than in his younger days.  I hope he develops a score from a controlled tie.   He's always been smart enough to evolve.  I think he would be phenomenal with an "Iranian" underhook series.  Guess we'll have to wait and see.