Sign in to follow this  
skikayaker

ILLINOIS vs MINNESOTA

I think Ness getting second last yr was very fluke and it proved that way tonight! #overrated!

You are so right - 2nd at NCAAs means you got real lucky to win 4 matches in a row

Yes, he got 2nd but he only beat one AA all yr (nauman in the semis). The kid showed up at nationals last year but he didn't have the toughest road. I would bet a large sum of money that he will not get second again, especially the way he is wrestling now. I have seen minnesota fans talk about how good of a match him and oliver will be. What a joke, They are not even in the same universe of wrestling.

#itwasmoreofapositivehaha

#EmotionalScarsAreHealing

Unfortunately I may have found the new "bad boy" of college wrestling and he's your favorite. This may be a bit of a conflict.

I would think Chris Perry and Tony Ramos would be higher on the list. I still don't see anything Evans did wrong in the discussed situation.

But yes, if you start in on Evans, we will be e-throwing down.

I think Ness getting second last yr was very fluke and it proved that way tonight! #overrated!

I think Blanton and Gonzalez were lucky to AA last year and proved it tonight! #overrated!

I'll give you Gonzalez, but BLanton is a two time AA, 5th and 4th.

Gonzalez didn't AA last year anyways.

Just got home from the match. It looked like the entire MN lower weights had the flu. The team that I watched tonight will not finish top 5 at Nationals. Usually the Gophers collapse on Friday morning...this year their fate might be known before Friday at the NCAA's.

Just got home from the match. It looked like the entire MN lower weights had the flu. The team that I watched tonight will not finish top 5 at Nationals. Usually the Gophers collapse on Friday morning...this year their fate might be known before Friday at the NCAA's.

Iowa-Minnesota is Friday. They could have just been looking ahead/preparing to peak for that rather heated rivalry meet.

Iowa-Minnesota is Friday. They could have just been looking ahead/preparing to peak for that rather heated rivalry meet.

I am going to the match, but I don't think the Gopher team that wrestled tonight will come close to the Hawks. It could even be ugly next Saturday...

I am going to the match, but I don't think the Gopher team that wrestled tonight will come close to the Hawks. It could even be ugly next Saturday...

It seems like their match-ups don't workout well against Iowa this year. I think I'm even putting my money on Evans after watching Storley squeak out tonight.

Nah, they'll be up for it. I really think this was probably more of a product of looking past Illinois. Not that Illinois isn't a solid wrestling team, but Iowa-Minnesota is a legitimately heated rivalry, and probably one of the biggest meets of the year, year in and year out.

Dardanes, and Ness looked horrible. The rest of the team had reasonable performances.

Dardanes is always competitive even in losses. Tonight was strange. He was simply dominated. He seemed to be bothered by the hands in the face, but he should have been able to V the arm up and take shots.

Ness has looked horrible. Goofy funk attempts, giving up back points looking for something big. Forcing funk is is not what we saw last year. You can't always look for the home run. Very strange.

Ness looked horrible against the Indiana kid as well. Ness was down big, and found a way to get the pin. He seemed to grimace afterwards. Not at all the same kid as last year. I am not sure why he is wrestling so bad. Hurt back, flu, horrible strategy??????

The team looked great last weekend (Besides Ness). Something was off tonight.

Entertaining dual, even for someone with no rooting interest.

Illinois had this if Gonzalez takes care of business. Then their heavy just has to not get pinned. Disappointing loss given how close they came.

Minnesota asst coach interviewed said a guy was hurt but wrestled anyway. Probably Ness.

Not sure about the Blanton TD. Given that they reviewed it you have to think it was a judgment call, that he didn't have control past reaction time hitting the mat. Despite the announcing, the whizzer comes in right away, and, he successfully uses it to separate himself immediately, suggesting that the top man really didn't have control. Probably the right call - looked like a TD in real time, waved off after consultation with the assistant (don't we all ask for more of this from the assistant?), and then confirmed no TD via video. That's the system we have.

MN looked terrible. Zilverberg stepped up and got a W, and Schiller wrestled a good match, but those two efforts were the only glimmers for the Gophers last night. Nick D, Steinhaus and Nelson all missed out on major decisions with 10-3 victories - can't be leaving those bonus points unclaimed if they are to beat Iowa or place in top 5 in March.

Credit to the Illini. They laid an egg vs surprising Nebraska and wrestled like they had something to prove. And, they did it without Futtrell.

Too many people piling on Ness. He's a very good wrestler but clearly not 100%. Plus, credit to Ervin who consistently stayed on Ness legs to negate the funk. Ervin is a nice young talent.

Daryl Thomas is a legit AA candidate at 133. Dardanes had an off match but he also appeared to be suffering from the weight cutting blues. That...and Thomas was a hammer.

Ohio State and Illinois will hook up on Feb 1 at Oak Harbor High School near Toledo (home of JD Bergman). Should be a very good match. Hope the Bucks wrestle as hard as Illini last night.

On a side note, it was interesting listening to Gibbons/Johnson gush over Ervin saying he was probably the only wrestler ever from Kentucky who beat an NCAA finalist. I guess they've forgotten all about Kyle Ruschell, who beat Molinaro and Palmer on several occasions.

On a side note, it was interesting listening to Gibbons/Johnson gush over Ervin saying he was probably the only wrestler ever from Kentucky who beat an NCAA finalist. I guess they've forgotten all about Kyle Ruschell, who beat Molinaro and Palmer on several occasions.

Point of contention here is that Ruschell, a VERY good wrestler, beat Molinaro and Palmer BEFORE they were finalists. It is more noteworthy when you beat a returning NCAA finalist then beating someone who later on becomes a finalist.

Point of contention here is that Ruschell, a VERY good wrestler, beat Molinaro and Palmer BEFORE they were finalists. It is more noteworthy when you beat a returning NCAA finalist then beating someone who later on becomes a finalist.

That might be your point of contention but that wasn't at all the way Gibbons/Johnson said it. They were trying to make the point that KY is not known for producing wrestlers and it was obvious they had totally forgotten about Ruschell.