Sign in to follow this  
skikayaker

ILLINOIS vs MINNESOTA

Nelson, Steinhause, 141 Dardanes, Zilverberg all dominated their match. Storley had a close match but won, Schiller wrestled a good match and won a close match. Yohn wrestles to the end and stayed in the match to the end a little short but good effort. Thorn 125 lost but again stayed in the match until the end. I think the all Americans Dardans and Ness will come ready on Saturday. Looking though Maroon and gold glasses it should be a good dual.

wrestling in Kentucky and most of the southern states is weak at best

Right on! Those Smith boys, Schultz bros, Monday, Varner.....all weak under performers

wow cool u can name a few good wrestlers from kentucky congrats man! compare that to all the quality wrestlers that come out of new york or pa... i guess ur right thou the south really is where the wrestling is at in this country thanks for the geography lesson man!

wrestling in Kentucky and most of the southern states is weak at best

Right on! Those Smith boys, Schultz bros, Monday, Varner.....all weak under performers

wow cool u can name a few good wrestlers from kentucky congrats man! compare that to all the quality wrestlers that come out of new york or pa... i guess ur right thou the south really is where the wrestling is at in this country thanks for the geography lesson man!

The Smiths and Kenny Monday are from Oklahoma, not the "south". The Schultzes and Varner were from California...not the South.

Weren't the Carrs from Kentucky? What about Ricky Delagatta?

The Carrs were originally from PA I believe and then Fletcher Carr one of the older brothers became a head coach at the University of Kentucky where Joe Carr Sr. wrestled. Joe Carr Jr. wrestled in Kentucky was a 5 time state finalist and 4 time champ before going to WVU.

Damn, the SEC used to have some really good wrestling

Flashback to 1980 & 1977...

Besides Ricky D placing third for Kentucky, Auburn and Tennessee also had placewinners

There were also qualifiers from Georgia and LSU

1980 NCAA Division 1 Wrestling Top Ten Team Scores

1 Iowa 110.75 (2)

2 Okla State 87 (2)

3 Iowa State 81.75

4 Oklahoma 67.5

5 Ariz State 56.5

6 Lehigh 56.25

7 Wisconsin 55 (1)

8 NC State 37.25 (1)

9 Oregon State 32.5 (1)

10 Kentucky 24.25

Kentucky had 4 AA's in 1977 and Florida had 6 qualifiers

1977 NCAA Division 1 Wrestling Top Ten Team Scores

1 Iowa State 95.5 (1)

2 Okla State 88.75 (2)

3 Iowa 84 (1)

4 Minnesota 66 (1)

5 Oregon State 52.25

6 Wisconsin 50.75 (2)

7 Oklahoma 49 (1)

8 Lehigh 48.75

9 Michigan 45.5 (1)

10 Kentucky 41.5

Thanks to Boomer Stats

The SEC should have wrestling...

Speaking of Southern wrestling back when . . . didn't I hear somewhere that NFL Hall of Fame OL John Hannah was an SEC Champ and NCAA qualifier.

My favorite quote about him from his pro days was: "John Hannah pulling looks like 5 guys struggling in a sack."