Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Higuchi

Lost in the USA day one debacle we didn't talk too much about Mr Higuchi from Japan. His road to the finals has been insane. Check it out:

Qualification round he beats 2x world champ, Yang Kyong Il by TF

1/8 he beats Lachinau from BLR, 7th in last year worlds (his "worst" opponent) 10-0

1/4 he beats Bonne Rodriguez 2014 world bronze medalist 8-4

1/2 he beats 1x world champ 4x world medalist (silver 2015, gold 2014) Rahimi

To make it more interesting Rahimi beat Lebedev in the 1/4 round 6-1 who himself was a 2x world champ (2010, 2011). 

Higuchi will meet Khinchegashvili this evening in the finals. Khinchegashvili is last year's world champ (who defeated Rahimi) and 2014 world silver medalist (who Rahimi defeated). Should Higuchi pull it off, he will have defeated 3 world champs and a world bronze medalist to get there. In addition since Khinchegashvili beat Aliyev, himself a 2x world champ, to get to the finals, he will also have defeated two people who each defeated a 2x world champ on the same day he won. 

So who is Rei Higuchi? In short, nobody I've ever heard of. Rei Higuchi, unless they got his name messed up, has done virtually nothing internationally. He barely wrestled in at the senior level, he took 21st in the junior world championships at 60kg last year and 8th in the cadet worlds in 2013. He did beat Dumov this spring in the Ziolskowski Open in Poland. That's about it. 

Anyone know anything about him? I didn't see his matches. 

I can't believe what I'm reading right now. Guys, Higuchi was wrestling Khinchegashvili, one of the very best wrestlers in activity right now. It's a shame on this board he's regarded as being a bum. I get everybody fell in love with Higuchi, me too, but let's not get carried away.

I can't believe what I'm reading right now. Guys, Higuchi was wrestling Khinchegashvili, one of the very best wrestlers in activity right now. It's a shame on this board he's regarded as being a bum. I get everybody fell in love with Higuchi, me too, but let's not get carried away.

I saw the match and am aware of Khinchegashvii's accolades and I don't think he's a bum. I simply think that the call of passivity on Higuchi was sketchy both in the moment and in the context of the match. And I think that Khinchegashvii stalled for the last thirty seconds.

I just don't like the refs deciding the match like that by calling passivity on the guy who had done almost every offensive move the entire match and was controlling the ties/positions.  

I saw the match and am aware of Khinchegashvii's accolades and I don't think he's a bum. I simply think that the call of passivity on Higuchi was sketchy both in the moment and in the context of the match. And I think that Khinchegashvii stalled for the last thirty seconds.

Yeah I know you didn't think that, I was referring mostly to those who shout robbery out loud, it seems to me a little over the line. Also I don't think he was stalling at the end, he was skillfully holding Higuchi's arm to (pretend to) transition into a 2 on 1 tie.

I just don't like the refs deciding the match like that by calling passivity on the guy who had done almost every offensive move the entire match and was controlling the ties/positions.  

I agree with you on the ref being the deciding factor. But I believe Khinchegashvili was controlling the ties quite well, even without taking shots.

Yeah I know you didn't think that, I was referring mostly to those who shout robbery out loud, it seems to me a little over the line. Also I don't think he was stalling at the end, he was skillfully holding Higuchi's arm to (pretend to) transition into a 2 on 1 tie.

Right. Saying someone was robbed suggests some kind of corruption, as if the ref was deliberately intending to throw the match one guys way. That's way over the line and it seemed like nothing more than a garden variety bad call (the passivity on Higuchi).