CoachWrestling

Burroughs comments after failing to medal

"This was supposed to be my year. This was supposed to be my breakthrough performance," said Burroughs as he wiped away tears that had mixed with blood from a head cut. "I've done everything right. I've sacrificed so much to get here. ... I wanted to be among the greats. I wanted to be a Simone Biles, a Michael Phelps, nationally. I wanted to be those guys, and it's unfortunate."

"It's a tough day. I had a lot of expectations coming here. I wanted to win. I knew I was capable of winning. Sometimes things don't go according to plan," Burroughs said. "I lost a lot of things today. But my integrity and my character remain."

"I felt ready," Burroughs said, sounding perplexed about how it all went so wrong. "That's the hardest part of all of this. I live my lifestyle the right way. I don't smoke. I don't drink. I don't go out and party. I'm a family man. I take care of business. I train hard. I'm an ambassador for the sport of wrestling. A lot of people were counting on me today."

Source:

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/45330-jordan-burroughs-speaks-out-after-olympics-losses

Classy as always, you have to love Jordan Burroughs.

"This was supposed to be my year. This was supposed to be my breakthrough performance," said Burroughs as he wiped away tears that had mixed with blood from a head cut. "I've done everything right. I've sacrificed so much to get here. ... I wanted to be among the greats. I wanted to be a Simone Biles, a Michael Phelps, nationally. I wanted to be those guys, and it's unfortunate."

"It's a tough day. I had a lot of expectations coming here. I wanted to win. I knew I was capable of winning. Sometimes things don't go according to plan," Burroughs said. "I lost a lot of things today. But my integrity and my character remain."

"I felt ready," Burroughs said, sounding perplexed about how it all went so wrong. "That's the hardest part of all of this. I live my lifestyle the right way. I don't smoke. I don't drink. I don't go out and party. I'm a family man. I take care of business. I train hard. I'm an ambassador for the sport of wrestling. A lot of people were counting on me today."

Source:

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/45330-jordan-burroughs-speaks-out-after-olympics-losses

Classy as always, you have to love Jordan Burroughs.

Classy and heartfelt. He opened up in a way few would have the guts to do. 

Sometimes your body/mind doesn't do what you expect it to. Against the top competition you just can't afford to not have everything working at top level. Just so happens this time it happened to JB on a Olympic day.

We have to remember for every against the odds Olympic story to occur to someone that a great champ has to lose in order for the story to happen. We have rode a great wave of success with JB that is worth appreciating.

It may sting now, but JB will comeback from this. He still is a gold threat at next years worlds and we get the pleasure of watching him comeback to avenge this showing.

Edited by MadMardigain

A tear-filled Jordan Burroughs after losing his repechage match and leaving Rio without a medal: "I spent a lot of time in the last year promoting my personal brand and saying I could be the greatest wrestler ever. God said 'prove it.' And I couldn't."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0558374401511264692-4

This was really humbling. Burroughs is all class.

Bad things happen to good people. I feel for the guy, but every high he says reinforces my feeling that he actually felt the pressure of everything he said/expected. He wrestled tight and it's unfortunate. I think he will be back with a vengeance tho.

I particularly keyed on his "I lost a lot of things today" comment. There was a LOT of money riding on his performance in winnings, sponsorships, etc. I think every penny of that potential weighed on him the minute he stepped on the mat today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad things happen to good people. I feel for the guy, but every high he says reinforces my feeling that he actually felt the pressure of everything he said/expected. He wrestled tight and it's unfortunate. I think he will be back with a vengeance tho.

I particularly keyed on his "I lost a lot of things today" comment. There was a LOT of money riding on his performance in winnings, sponsorships, etc. I think every penny of that potential weighed on him the minute he stepped on the mat today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember this, he didn't just lose his chance for Olympic gold. He lost his opportunity to win $500,000. That's life changing money for 99.99% of people on this earth. 

Well he has accomplished much more than most.

That said, a few months back I predicted that he would not win the gold. He just seemed vulnerable. Dake beat him in the first match of their most recent challenge match regardless of the score, and he showed that you could slow down Burrough"s offense and counter him. Take that recipe out of the ridiculous US qualification system which is so squarely weighted on the incumbents favor and it could really tell. It did.

I predicted the men's national team would get a single medal. We will see.

That said, a few months back I predicted that he would not win the gold. He just seemed vulnerable. Dake beat him in the first match of their most recent challenge match regardless of the score, and he showed that you could slow down Burrough"s offense and counter him. Take that recipe out of the ridiculous US qualification system which is so squarely weighted on the incumbents favor and it could really tell. It did.

Yes, that Dake loss was really indicative.  Forget that he won a world championship that year including a win over Geduev.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

@billyhoyle-the point is that Dake showed that there was clearly a viable formula to beat Burroughs. You needed talent, but it was doable. Now remove the protections from the US qualification system.

Look this Olympics is on the verge of being a US wrestling debacle. I know I'm a broken record, but they cannot even get the qualification system right. Third rate systems produce third rate results.

@billyhoyle-the point is that Dake showed that there was clearly a viable formula to beat Burroughs. You needed talent, but it was doable. Now remove the protections from the US qualification system.

Look this Olympics is on the verge of being a US wrestling debacle. I know I'm a broken record, but they cannot even get the qualification system right. Third rate systems produce third rate results.

This olympics is a debacle.

The qualification system has nothing to do with the problem. We were just as bad before it was implemented. Dake and Taylor have not won major international tournaments or shown that they are close to being at the same level as Burroughs.  They wasted too much of their careers wrestling folkstyle, and now it is too late.   

Dave has beaten a world champion in tsargush (and Burroughs as well according to uww rules which the us chose to modify during trials). Saying it is too late for him or Taylor is a funny/absurd statement.

I believe Tsargush was in a rough stretch when he lost to Dake a couple years ago, losing to many others as well.  Also, Dake failed to have a top finish at that same tournament. I don't think either has ever won a top international tournament against a strong field (Yes, I know Taylor won the Spanish Grand Prix twice as Smedley loves to point out sarcastically).  In contrast, Burroughs has won countless top international tournaments and has repeatedly demonstrated that he is world class.  

Dake and Taylor will both be 29 by the time the next olympics come around.  You usually don't see huge improvement between the ages of 25 and 29, especially in somebody like Dake who has been plagued by injuries.  For perspective, Varner, Metcalf, and Tervel are all 30.  I'm not saying it is impossible for them to make a world team at some point or even medal, but it is highly unlikely, especially if we are talking about the olympic year.  The only two spots available to them are 74 and 86, and J'Den Cox is only 21.  Do we really think either of them will surpass Cox?  At 74, Burroughs has indicated he will train through 2020, so they still have to worry about him if they go back down.  Then you have Mark Hall and Isiah Martinez who both have a lot of development left to do.  

It's tough to come to grips with the fact that we set these two elite talents up for failure before their international careers could really start, but it's the sad truth unfortunately.  

I believe Tsargush was in a rough stretch when he lost to Dake a couple years ago, losing to many others as well.  Also, Dake failed to have a top finish at that same tournament. I don't think either has ever won a top international tournament against a strong field (Yes, I know Taylor won the Spanish Grand Prix twice as Smedley loves to point out sarcastically).  In contrast, Burroughs has won countless top international tournaments and has repeatedly demonstrated that he is world class.  

Dake and Taylor will both be 29 by the time the next olympics come around.  You usually don't see huge improvement between the ages of 25 and 29, especially in somebody like Dake who has been plagued by injuries.  For perspective, Varner, Metcalf, and Tervel are all 30.  I'm not saying it is impossible for them to make a world team at some point or even medal, but it is highly unlikely, especially if we are talking about the olympic year.  The only two spots available to them are 74 and 86, and J'Den Cox is only 21.  Do we really think either of them will surpass Cox?  At 74, Burroughs has indicated he will train through 2020, so they still have to worry about him if they go back down.  Then you have Mark Hall and Isiah Martinez who both have a lot of development left to do.  

It's tough to come to grips with the fact that we set these two elite talents up for failure before their international careers could really start, but it's the sad truth unfortunately.  

David Taylor is a 2x Spanish Grand Prix champ at two different weight classes bro!.... Show some respect!