Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyWishbone

How we make freestylebetter

Just when i was hopeful about theSe olympics helping our sport the world of wrestling is about to kill it. Not only is it hard to follow based on tv info schedule but greco is incredibly boring.

We should have automatic qualifiers for all weights and make the wrestling tournament as long as gymnasticS. If we had all weights going in two days maybe i wouldn't have to watch 2 hours of racewalking to see 5 minutes of wrestling. Theres no way a person who wasnt a wrestling addict would invest in online streaming.

Thats some issues outside of our control but when it comes to the actual matches. Dang they are horrid. Heres are some thoughts

1. Problem- Refs dont all passivity in the second enough.

Fix:

Refs need to call counter offense passivity! grow a pair and call it. Greco is bad but seen many russians doing more head defense than anything else.

2. Problem- not enough offense and too much passivity.

Give bonus for attacker. My suggestion is whoever engages an attack can earn 2 pts for a td but counter wrestler can only earn 1pt!

It will force more action

3. Problem- challenges can cost their athlete a point.

Fix- are you kidding me first off. What other sport does this? How bout you just lose a challenge. Have they heard of tennis or the nfl. Idiots. Uzb would not be merc'n his coaches right now in the locker room if it was this way.

4. Problem. Scoring but not realllllly scoring. One of the dumbest rules i have heard of. Hey nfl of you go for a TD on fourth down in your own territory well still give you some pts and say "good try".

Fix- call passivity and score. But A+ for the effort is ridiculous.

How do we get things better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watched with a guys who had never seen a freestyle match, only a few hs matches. They both said something along the lines of "thank god there is no mat wrestling that stuff is so boring." And they got rlly excited every time there was a throw or a gut wrench/leg lace. they had an easy time figuring out the rules and said it seemed much simpler than HS wrestling. The only thing they didn't like was the criteria, both wanted overtime and it didn't matter how many times i tried to explain it. I agree with them, overtime is simpler, even if it decreases some action in the last minute if the score is tied. the only other complaint they had was the frequent passivity calls. they yelled "let them wrestle" a few times. 

I think winning on criteria is cruddy.

My fix: a 1 minute (or longer?) sudden victory overtime period, and  if there is no score in that minute they go to the over/under clinch. The last to score gets the first lock. Each wrestler gets 1 "free," break of his lock once they start wrestling from the clinch. On the 2nd break that wrestler loses.

I agree that the rules are in a pretty good place right now.  I'm not really a fan of criteria, especially when even "veteran fans" can get confused over who's winning (e.g., Adeline Gray match) but I've learned to live with it.  It would be nice to at least have OT for medal matches, though. 

So wait you guys like that if you challenge a call and are wrong its a pt?!

Wow . Now i see where the problem is

No problem here. Main thing is that you have a coach in your corner that understands the ramifications of their choice to initiate a challenge. Mark Manning is very knowledgeable in this area.