Sign in to follow this  
tekto

The meaning of Saori Yoshida and the victory by Helen Maroulis

Thank you tekto for a great read.  Saori Yoshida is a great champion.   I had a friend that sent me a text saying Yoshida "lost her mind" after the loss. That was an unfortunate text. Yoshida was obviously upset bet handled the loss with class.

​On an unrelated note - Helen should get her but to Japan and capitalize on her marketablity

Great read - Thanks

Pardon me for bumping a rather old thread, but in a way it is related, and I didn't want to start a new topic.

Per Japanese media on the 9th, the Coach Sakae (the bald dude who got lifted by Tosaka and thrown around by Kawai) confirmed that Saori Yoshida has accepted the offer to become the official Japanese wrestling team coach, and the Japanese Wrestling Committee expected to make the official announcement on their next meeting later this month. I mean, she was already an unofficial "coach" with her junior peers, but she's officially hired as one now as the "coach / player" position. The keyword is that she still has not retired as a player yet.

Now, from here on is just purely my speculation, but I think she'll attempt to go for one more gold at the Worlds to end on a high note (not that she needs another), then retire as a player and become full-time coach by the time Tokyo rolls by. She probably would've hung up after Rio immediately if she won, but probably doesn't want her final image as a wrestler to be the one broken on the mat. In a way, with every pressure lifted, she might have a relaxed Worlds and I can see her winning one more. As for Kaori Icho...she is really a mystery. She could one day say she's retiring (she's taken a hiatus in middle of her prime before), she could go on...who knows.

As of right now, excluding a sudden appearance of a phenom, I can see the Tokyo Japanese women's wrestling candidates to be Eri Tosaka (48 kg), Risako Kawai (58 kg), Sara Dosho (63 kg) and whoever that has been crushed by Yoshida's existence to finally take 53 kg, possibly Kawai's sister. In case people are wondering why those choices, due to Tosaka / Yoshida / Icho locking out the lighter weights, every Japanese women's wrestler has been forcefully gaining weight and those are their natural classes. For one, Kawai has officially stated Rio would be her last tournament that she adds weight for, and is going to challenge Icho for the 58 kg in the future...and considering her dominance in a heavier weight and age, I can see her defeating Icho in the next four years.

Tekto I would like to hear your thoughts:

Miyu Nakanura looked really good @ the 44kg  weight @ the Jr Worlds.  Japan also had the Jr WC @ 48 kg w/ Miho Igarashi.  How do these two young ladies do against Tosaka now and do you think they may overtake her in the next few years?

Tekto I would like to hear your thoughts:

Miyu Nakanura looked really good @ the 44kg  weight @ the Jr Worlds.  Japan also had the Jr WC @ 48 kg w/ Miho Igarashi.  How do these two young ladies do against Tosaka now and do you think they may overtake her in the next few years?

They may put a good fight, but Tosaka is still only 23.

She's still got her prime coming up and already has 3 World golds and an Olympic gold, so I think for Tokyo it will still be Tosaka.