TheRealOne9050

65 kg Discussion

Stieber has a shot again. (No auto qualifier and he has to feel good about his win over Ramonov now :))  I hate that Frank didn't medal, but I do like that it opened the door for some competition there again.  Sucks, but Chamizo was a smidge better.   But there was a moment Frank may have missed an exposure.  Italy needed that worse than we did...actually somehow, so I'll live.  It sucks for Frank but he can definitely hold his nappy head high. 

Edited by Fishhook

Maybe, but Frank was right in that match and definitely got denied 2 exposure points.

i thought this as well... at that point, it made no sense not to challenge as if they did lose, frank would have still been ahead on criteria...

i was also not excited to see him come out so defensively in the second period... that rarely works out well against an athlete the caliber of chamizo...

either way, i thought frank wrestled very well today

Edited by LJB

you sound like a broken record... 

shots do not mean anything... how many times have we seen a wrestler dive in on a shot with no set up and just grab a leg and stall out? it is a very useful tactic in the stall fest that is folk, but, international wrestling is not so easily fooled...

not so easily fooled? someone was fooled by these officials...

I just checked it.. That was going to Mongolia's first Freestyle medal since 19-FREAKING-80. I'm sorry that guy had a reason to celebrate. I understand the rule.. But how many time do we see people not engage the last 5 seconds.. That was a BS call. The Refs should be glad someone like Brands wasn't coaching cause there would have been violence instead of a strip show. 

Here is the question does he make the call against one of the traditional powers Russia, UZB, Georgia. Iran...Hell even the USA. I think not. 

The times we see people not engage in the last few seconds is when the are winning by more than 1 freaking pt. You cant pick and choose when to apply the rules. If he does that in the middle of the first, its a point. Same as the ladt 10 sec. Nobody to blame but himself. Same as Jden.

Does anyone have a photo of how close Molinario got to two at the end of that match?   Closest of margins, super proud of Frank and how he wrestled.  Such a smart wrestler and he made a believer out of all us doubters. 

i didn't think it was that close at the end... but, sure looked like he exposed him in the first with a belly whizzer... frank looked to the coaches to challenge and they didn't throw the block...

but yes LJB, make excuses about folk.

our most successful guys recently, came right out of folk.

maybe it's not the folkstyle... but the level of competition and practice once they are out of college.

coming out the season they are battle hardened.

after 3 months off since OTT, they lose the edge...

but yes LJB, make excuses about folk.

our most successful guys recently, came right out of folk.

maybe it's not the folkstyle... but the level of competition and practice once they are out of college.

coming out the season they are battle hardened.

after 3 months off since OTT, they lose the edge...

Snyder was not battle hardened this year.  He wrestled 1/6th of the schedule.  This has been debunked many times:  People coming out of folkstyle don't do better because of folkstyle.  Correlation =/ causation.  There are many other factors that much better explain their success:  1.  Young age.   2.  Lack of scouting internationally.  3.  the dubious nature of the statistic to begin with.  

Just because this year people coming out of folkstyle wrestled well, doesn't mean it's the same as in the past.  

Lets debunk this ridiculous theory once again:

2008:  Cejudo, no folkstyle

2009:  Herbert, Silver out of folkstyle.  Was not the same once people scouted his sweep single.  Tervel + Freestyle experience, Bronze.

2010:  No Medals;

2011:  Burroughs, out of folkstyle, gold.  Varner with freestyle experience: bronze

2012:  Burroughs, Varner, Scott all with freestyle experience

2013:  Burroughs Gold:  Full time freestyle

2014:  Burroughs Bronze, Tervel Bronze:  Both full time freestyle

2015:  Burroughs Gold (full time freestyle), Snyder Gold (folkstyle after senior year of HS at OTC), James Green:  Bronze out of folkstyle (non olympic weight).  

2016:  J'den Cox (full time folkstyle), bronze.  Kyle Snyder (minimal folkstyle schedule, full time freestyle practices and international tournaments):  Gold  

The only person who was best out of folkstyle was Herbert, and that was because he had only one attack and was scouted.  James green is TBD this year at 70kg in worlds, but it may be a tougher tournament this year if some of the olympic 66kgers bump up.  

There are two possibilities:  Either wrestling folkstyle somehow makes you better at freestyle or wrestling freestyle makes you better at freestyle.  

i agree with your statement about not being scouted...

however, i also didn't say folk was the reason.

my point was the edge created by a season. 

i hate when my wrestlers had to sit out early b/c of injuries... timing etc... but just the toughness.

there is no 'season' just a collection of tourney's here an dthere... 

Edited by GockeS

Molinaro did not get the 2 at the end, not according to the rule book. He did get back exposure for certain earlier in the 2nd period, plus Chamizo was gifted 2 times by passivity calls. Add this all up and it is the difference between winning and losing.

J'Den Cox also almost got screwed in Bronze match v. Cuba. He takes all shots and then the official puts passivity clock on him. Terrible.