TheRealOne9050

65 kg Discussion

Does anyone have a photo of how close Molinario got to two at the end of that match?   Closest of margins, super proud of Frank and how he wrestled.  Such a smart wrestler and he made a believer out of all us doubters. 

Don't have a photo, but I thought he was close to getting a TD at the end.  Here's how it was written up on GoPSUSports:

Knowing that a takedown would tie the bout at 4-4 and give him the win, Molinaro connected on a low single and gained control of Chamizo’s ankles. With the clock ticking away, Molinaro worked to force the Italian down to the mat for the score but Chamizo was able to work his way out of bounds, giving up one point instead of the critical two.  Molinaro’s corner, featuring Lion assistant coach Cody Sanderson challenged the call to no avail and Chamizo claimed the Bronze with a 5-3 win.

EDIT for UPDATED INFO:  I just located the archive site for the bout - link below. Fast forward to about 8:00 and you can see the final TD attempt.  (No slow motion, but you can freeze frame it.  Looks to me like Molinaro may have had his opponent's knees within about 6-8 inches of the mat at the end.)

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/frank-molinaro-wrestles-back-win-repechage-match

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

Don't have a photo, but I thought he was close to getting a TD at the end.  Here's how it was written up on GoPSUSports:

Knowing that a takedown would tie the bout at 4-4 and give him the win, Molinaro connected on a low single and gained control of Chamizo’s ankles. With the clock ticking away, Molinaro worked to force the Italian down to the mat for the score but Chamizo was able to work his way out of bounds, giving up one point instead of the critical two.  Molinaro’s corner, featuring Lion assistant coach Cody Sanderson challenged the call to no avail and Chamizo claimed the Bronze with a 5-3 win.

Chamizo's knees never touched in the tri pod position is what happened

but yes LJB, make excuses about folk.

our most successful guys recently, came right out of folk.

maybe it's not the folkstyle... but the level of competition and practice once they are out of college.

coming out the season they are battle hardened.

after 3 months off since OTT, they lose the edge...

Thatll happen When you pretty much have no choice but to wrestle folk. Such a silly statement.

I've gone back and forth on the exposure thing.  In real time, I thought he didn't get it.  Since, though, there is a photo (from an admittedly bad angle) that looks like he did expose him.  Several coaches on Twitter were saying they wouldn't have challenged based on the angle the US coaches were seeing the action from.  So I think if pressed I would say that Frank DID expose Chamizo.

However, not sure how you can complain about the passivity calls.  Chamizo took the center of the match and was taking the majority of the committed attacks.  I was frankly startled by just how proactive Chamizo was being.