CoachWrestling

Mongolian coaches

I just read elsewhere that when Mongolians think they were 'robbed' they strip and give the 'robbers' their clothes as if to say 'Take everything we have.'

Thanks, gimpeltf. I was wondering what the cultural derivation was. Of course we'd never seen anything like it, but the gesture lacked no conviction, that's for sure. 

I just read elsewhere that when Mongolians think they were 'robbed' they strip and give the 'robbers' their clothes as if to say 'Take everything we have.'

And they tend to like to strip down based on some pics of other activities. I mean Genghis Khan established the country!  

I LOVED every second of the protest. It was fan god dang tastic.  My son was loving it, and he hadn't watched a second of the Olympics til then.  Seriously, we need more personality in this sport.  Its funny. 

RUKi9wt.jpg

One of the GREAT gifs ever. Thank the gods folks.  This could help wrestling a ton. Interweb hits!!

The more I watch the funnier it gets...I am soOOOOOOO glad I saw that live too.  Long live Mongolian Coaches!!!!!    The best.  

Edited by Fishhook

What did you guys think of the fleeing the hold call?

The fleeing call was absolutely the right call.  This is similar to what happened in the Garret/Ramos match @ OTT except the last 5 seconds here were much more obvious.  The ref is suppose to call passive if one wrestler is not "presenting himself" to wrestle and the Mongolian obviously wasn't.  In the last 30 seconds the passive call has to be a point as there is no option to put him on the clock. My understanding of the rules is that the awarding of the point has to be unanimous (ref and both mat judges)  In all the commotion I don't know if the Mongolians actually determined if it was unanimous or not.

The fleeing call was absolutely the right call.  This is similar to what happened in the Garret/Ramos match @ OTT except the last 5 seconds here were much more obvious. 

Way too obvious - the Mongolian was pumping his fists in the air and grinning at his opponent.  I don't think he was taunting - just happy that he'd seemingly pulled off the comeback to win.  However, his actions in the last few seconds were tantamount to inviting the ref to hit him for fleeing. 

I wonder if he'd been more subtle if the ref would have overlooked his evading - but I guess we'll never know now.

Interesting...can you provide link to this?  Tried, but all searches lead to today's awesomeness.   TR Foley might know, but he's probably busy defending bribes, silly rules and the UWW in general.  

in no way condone what the coaches did.

However, i saw wrestler after wrestler flee wrestling all week in the last 30 seconds.

Some avoided wrestling the entire match... 

Now a guy circles quickly and pumps his fists... and its a problem? 

It was just a comment to an article about this. I saw it on facebook (the link to original article)

try searching mongolia wrestling coaches protest

but it was fairly far down and a random comment in  the middle.

Anna Mae In Mongolia, this sort of thing is to show they were cheated and robbed so they remove their clothing as to give the robbers "all they have". Gotta learn up customs and not assume it's "childish" behavior.

in no way condone what the coaches did.

However, i saw wrestler after wrestler flee wrestling all week in the last 30 seconds.

Some avoided wrestling the entire match... 

Now a guy circles quickly and pumps his fists... and its a problem? 

yeah, amazing

Edited by vsnej

Interesting...can you provide link to this?  Tried, but all searches lead to today's awesomeness.   TR Foley might know, but he's probably busy defending bribes, silly rules and the UWW in general.  

This is the best I've found. It doesn't show the clock, but it shows what was happening. I think this is one of those times when it would have been better to swallow the whistle, even if the call was justified by the letter of the law. It didn't look that bad to me. He was backing up a bit but still circling and facing his opponent. His fist pumps looked like excitement, not taunting, to me. 

Edited by Aztec