Smedley

Smedley's End of Rio Award Show

Homer's be warned. You might not agree with some of my choices.

Outstanding Wrestler

Kaori Icho - wins her 4th consecutive Olympic gold becoming the first wrestler EVER to accomplish the feat.

OW - United States

Helen Maroulis - wins the first gold medal for the USA in women's freestyle and does so with a HUGE upset over 3x gold medalist Saori Yoshida... And to my pleasure dethrones the greatest wrestling announcer in the world Rulon Gardner as the storybook upset ruler of the US.

OW - Greco

Mijian Lopez - the dude can dance and won his third consecutive gold medal. Here's to hoping that he will wrestle in Tokyo in 2020 so all the penis lovers will happy that there isn't just a woman who has the record of most Olympic gold medals.

OW - Women's Freestyle

Kaori Icho

OW - Men's Freestyle

Mongolian coaches

Body Hair Award

Ketoev - The Armenian 125kg also had a strong showing. This was close.

Dad Body Award

Ketoev - I really thought he was gonna get on the podium for realz, but it just wasn't meant to be.

What the hell are you doing moment!

Haley Augello putting in the boots against Tosaka. Sweet christ, this is why folkstyle needs to frackin go!!!

Sad song moment

7oBVg06.gif

Feel free to add to the list.

Edited by Smedley

In my opinion, the what the hell moment for me would be the Icho match, from Russia's POV.

Augello happened midmatch of quarter final, and the end result was a rout by Tosaka. For Icho, it was the final 15 seconds of a gold medal match.

All Russia (too lazy to look up spelling of wrestler) had to do is just focus on fleeing, and without worrying about a shot clock. Instead, goes for a tackle and gets countered by the master of defense legend.

Granted, it was great for someone rooting for Icho.

In my opinion, the what the hell moment for me would be the Icho match, from Russia's POV.

Augello happened midmatch of quarter final, and the end result was a rout by Tosaka. For Icho, it was the final 15 seconds of a gold medal match.

All Russia (too lazy to look up spelling of wrestler) had to do is just focus on fleeing, and without worrying about a shot clock. Instead, goes for a tackle and gets countered by the master of defense legend.

Granted, it was great for someone rooting for Icho.

I was a little surprised (and impressed) by how well Koblova took the very close loss, both on the mat and on the podium. Very classy and poised.

Edited by pamela

I was a little surprised (and impressed) by how well Koblova took the very close loss, both on the mat and on the podium. Very classy and poised.

Yeah, it was even a bigger contrast to Stadnik vs Tosaka medal ceremony right before it.

For the reactions I see about Yoshida not smiling at the podium, atleast she had respect for Helen, just physically unable to due to sadness overwhelming her.

Maria on the other hand...sure she may be sad too, but she was showing obvious bitterness. Forget smiling, she didn't even pose her medal for photo, and didn't even shake hands but immediately took it off and left.

Call me biased, but sadness and bitterness are not the same.

Yeah, it was even a bigger contrast to Stadnik vs Tosaka medal ceremony right before it.

For the reactions I see about Yoshida not smiling at the podium, atleast she had respect for Helen, just physically unable to due to sadness overwhelming her.

Maria on the other hand...sure she may be sad too, but she was showing obvious bitterness. Forget smiling, she didn't even pose her medal for photo, and didn't even shake hands but immediately took it off and left.

Call me biased, but sadness and bitterness are not the same.

Eri-san is so awesome.

When she scored the takedown for the win, I screamed with excitement and I clapped as hard as I could. My dad heard me from the other room and asked me "What soccer match are you watching?". Here in Italy, we celebrate like that only when our favourite soccer team scores a goal.