Sign in to follow this  
crablegs

Is Snyder now the face of USA Wrestling?

... when it comes to non wrestling fans simply tuning in to watch the olympics, they will be much more interested in Helen Maroulis than anyone on the team outside of Kyle Snyder.  The general American public likes winners/stories about winners. We may know who David Taylor, Kyle Dake, and Brent Metcalf are...

This is a great point, and one that we would be wise to embrace. 

Or, we can be a bunch of traditional chest-pounding apes, only celebrating other chest pounding apes...or we can be more like the South Asian countries in how we treat our women. I'll move to Northern Europe or East Asia before being that kind of man, of course. 

Our Women's team performed at the same level as our men's. If you can't get on board, then stop pretending to be a wrestling fan. We're not going anywhere without them. 

Billyhoyle, the above was not directed at you, obviously. Thanks for making a good point. 

how much money does snyder stand to lose in endorsements by competing in college?

None likely.  I can't imagine Companies that endorse him, WANTING him to stop wrestling in the NCAAS and thus lowering his visibility.  That is the most watched wrestling even in the world.  The big tens and NCAAs give him so much exposure, while the World title doesn't really. It's all about just wrestling now, as much as possible and getting way better to win in Tokyo.  If Sabdualev moves up, the ONE title that matters is the GOLD and he only has two years of eligibility so that won't hurt him. It may stop him from winning a title or two, but that will be more because someone want it more than him, rather than he spent days in the OSU wrestling room with Tervel, Logan, Rowlands, and Roselli. 

This is a great point, and one that we would be wise to embrace. 

Or, we can be a bunch of traditional chest-pounding apes, only celebrating other chest pounding apes...or we can be more like the South Asian countries in how we treat our women. I'll move to Northern Europe or East Asia before being that kind of man, of course. 

Our Women's team performed at the same level as our men's. If you can't get on board, then stop pretending to be a wrestling fan. We're not going anywhere without them. 

Billyhoyle, the above was not directed at you, obviously. Thanks for making a good point. 

This is a ridiculous assertion. It is the same as telling an NBA fan they are not a real basketball fan, because they don't have interest in the WNBA.

Kyle is certainly "a" new face of wrestling, along with J'Den as the future of the sport on the men's side.  Jordan B has earned the right to still carry the torch though.  He has multiple world titles to go with his Olympic Gold.  The average sports fan will never appreciate how insanely tough it is to defend any type of title in wrestling, especially an Olympic Gold medal.    JB has a 133-4 record in his world freestyle career.  That is just absolutely insane!

We also don't need to freak out and abolish the built in folk system we have.  The elite of this group will always make the transition to Free.  We have a ton of potential world level (young) talent in the pipeline.(Snyder, Cox, Dake, Taylor, Green, Stieber, Dieringer, Hall, Fix, Lee, Yanni, Valenica, etc...I'd say the US has a great looking future in freestyle wrestling.

This is a ridiculous assertion. It is the same as telling an NBA fan they are not a real basketball fan, because they don't have interest in the WNBA.

Except that the NBA/NCAA basketball will remain a healthy and well funded sport regardless of that fan base's interest in their women competitors. Our sport is fighting for survival with hardly any professional opportunities and few for college athletes. The biggest thing we have going for us as far as potential growth of both participation and fan base, which affects our standing with the IOC, is our women. 

I doubt any of the guys who express their disregard for our women will be changing their minds, but it's a dumb way to behave. We all have our contributions to make, but disregarding our women is the antithesis of supporting wrestling. We're not going anywhere without them. 

Except that the NBA/NCAA basketball will remain a healthy and well funded sport regardless of that fan base's interest in their women competitors. Our sport is fighting for survival with hardly any professional opportunities and few for college athletes. The biggest thing we have going for us as far as potential growth of both participation and fan base, which affects our standing with the IOC, is our women. 

I doubt any of the guys who express their disregard for our women will be changing their minds, but it's a dumb way to behave. We all have our contributions to make, but disregarding our women is the antithesis of supporting wrestling. We're not going anywhere without them. 

Good post. The penis lovers here are a dense group. Thankfully they will die off eventually and we might be able to see real progress made. Keep fighting the good fight.

Good post. The penis lovers here are a dense group. Thankfully they will die off eventually and we might be able to see real progress made. Keep fighting the good fight.

I'm so much happier to have realized that I can have it both ways! 

None likely. I can't imagine Companies that endorse him, WANTING him to stop wrestling in the NCAAS and thus lowering his visibility. That is the most watched wrestling even in the world. The big tens and NCAAs give him so much exposure, while the World title doesn't really.

You can't be serious... None likely?!?

Winning Olympic gold is among the most marketable accomplishments in sports, and the sponsorship interest and promotion opportunity that follows an Olympic gold is orders of magnitude greater than a world gold. America at large cares about the Olympics (very generally speaking). Only wrestlers and heir relatives care about the worlds.

As I've noted in previous posts, this opportunity to monetize the achievement peaks within the year after the Olympics and then fades exponentially every ensuing year.

No potential sponsor looking to take advantage of the Olympic moment necessarily wants Snyder not to compete at NCAAs, but no such sponsor will sit there and wait two years either. No chance. The types of sponsors that would be interested in Snyder two years from now are very different and less spendy than the sponsors who would pay him this year. Cael was on a Wheaties box for a few months after his Olympic gold, and then those types of sponsorship opportunities disappeared after a year or so had passed. Wrestling shoe companies will continue to be interested in Snyder two years from now, but most if not all of the non-wrestling companies, which is where all the big money comes from, only care about him for another year or so, max.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Right, because if one is not interested in women's wrestling they either dumb, sexist, or a combination of both. Focusing a marketing campaign around increasing participation and fans among women, does little to nothing to advance professional or college opportunities for the majority of participants in our sport which are men. While there may be some uptick within female participants, this is a fringe group within a fringe sport. To think that there is going to be some mass influx of female interest in wrestling that is going to save our sport seems unrealistic.

Right, because if one is not interested in women's wrestling they either dumb, sexist, or a combination of both. Focusing a marketing campaign around increasing participation and fans among women, does little to nothing to advance professional or college opportunities for the majority of participants in our sport which are men. While there may be some uptick within female participants, this is a fringe group within a fringe sport. To think that there is going to be some mass influx of female interest in wrestling that is going to save our sport seems unrealistic.

Penis, penis, penis.

Focusing a marketing campaign around increasing participation and fans among women, does little to nothing to advance professional or college opportunities for the majority of participants in our sport which are men. While there may be some uptick within female participants, this is a fringe group within a fringe sport. To think that there is going to be some mass influx of female interest in wrestling that is going to save our sport seems unrealistic.

I can't disagree with this sentiment, Missourimatman. To do so would just be trolling.

However, promoting women's wrestling is the strategy taken up by UWW to help us remain relevant internationally. It also conforms to Title IX in the best way possible for us - being that we get to keep men's wrestling and we could get women's wrestling.

I sincerely enjoy women's wrestling, and thought it was a great idea back when I was a teenaged wrestler trying to figure out what I thought about wrestling a girl. My coach's advice was to wrestle her like any other athlete, but I had cultural conflict about being rough with a girl. 

I was also a runner, and enjoyed the co-ed atmosphere of cross-country and track. We trained together but we weren't in competition, just in a place of mutual support. I'm sure those relationships helped me understand how to navigate the co-ed atmosphere of my workplace too. I think that model could work with wrestling, if we support our girls the same way we support our boys. 

We also don't need to freak out and abolish the built in folk system we have.  The elite of this group will always make the transition to Free.  We have a ton of potential world level (young) talent in the pipeline.(Snyder, Cox, Dake, Taylor, Green, Stieber, Dieringer, Hall, Fix, Lee, Yanni, Valenica, etc...I'd say the US has a great looking future in freestyle wrestling.

Snyder and Cox will be elite for a long time.  James Green should be a very good 70kg wrestler, but this may be due to the weight being empties out or it simply being the ideal weight for him.  It's possible he cannot compete as well in 66 or 74 as he does in 70. 

However: Hall, Fix, Lee, Yanni, and Valencia all require a huge leap ability to compete on the senior level.  Valencia and Lee are the closest of the group, but both have a lot of question marks left.  There's a big difference between success as a cadet and success in seniors.  As an example, Adam Coon was a Cadet world champion, but his development seems to have halted.  Same for Stieber after his junior silver.  I think it's possible one or more of these four will be on the team in 2020, and even possible that that wrestler brings home a medal, but it probably won't happen unless they focus on freestyle like Snyder did.  

The others you list: Dierenger, Dake, Taylor, will be in their prime for only one more cycle.  You usually don't see 2nd tier world level wrestlers (by this I mean wrestlers who have not shown an ability to win a world medal either through success at worlds or success at major international tournaments), develop after the age of 24/25 into world champions and consistent medalists.  It happens, but it is rare.  

Fine, here is a utilitarian argument for you all: All wrestling will die if we refuse to embrace women's wrestling as equal. Period. Inversely, all wrestling will only grow to the extent which we embrace women's wrestling as equal.  High school athletics, NCAA, the IOC/UWW, and the younger generations all have the same attitude about gender parity.  We ignore this at our own peril.

None likely.  I can't imagine Companies that endorse him, WANTING him to stop wrestling in the NCAAS and thus lowering his visibility.  That is the most watched wrestling even in the world.  The big tens and NCAAs give him so much exposure, while the World title doesn't really. It's all about just wrestling now, as much as possible and getting way better to win in Tokyo.  If Sabdualev moves up, the ONE title that matters is the GOLD and he only has two years of eligibility so that won't hurt him. It may stop him from winning a title or two, but that will be more because someone want it more than him, rather than he spent days in the OSU wrestling room with Tervel, Logan, Rowlands, and Roselli. 

I think your missing the point.  Companies that would "endorse/sponsor"  him can't as long as he wants to maintain his NCAA eligibility.  So yes he will lose significant sponsorship opportunities.  However he has said he is going to compete for Ohio St his last two years.  I think he is focused on winning 2 more NCAA titles along with trying for some team titles with them.  I can certainly understand that decision. 

Fine, here is a utilitarian argument for you all: All wrestling will die if we refuse to embrace women's wrestling as equal. Period. Inversely, all wrestling will only grow to the extent which we embrace women's wrestling as equal.  High school athletics, NCAA, the IOC/UWW, and the younger generations all have the same attitude about gender parity.  We ignore this at our own peril.

The growth of men's wrestling is dependent on women's wrestling? So if more women are wrestling, more men will wrestle? NFHS numbers this year show a decline in male participants with a small increase in female participants. Start of a trend?

The growth of men's wrestling is dependent on women's wrestling? So if more women are wrestling, more men will wrestle? NFHS numbers this year show a decline in male participants with a small increase in female participants. Start of a trend?

The more women wrestling the more men will continue to have the opportunity to wrestle.  100%

All this talk about face of wrestling and women, and not one mention of Adeline Gray. Helen definitely had the combination of result, draatic story, and looks to add on, but it is quite sad on how fast the "what have you done for me lately"lately syndrome sets in.

All this talk about face of wrestling and women, and not one mention of Adeline Gray. Helen definitely had the combination of result, draatic story, and looks to add on, but it is quite sad on how fast the "what have you done for me lately"lately syndrome sets in.

This is the United States of Amnesia. She will bounce back.