Sign in to follow this  
crablegs

Is Snyder now the face of USA Wrestling?

I think your missing the point.  Companies that would "endorse/sponsor"  him can't as long as he wants to maintain his NCAA eligibility.  So yes he will lose significant sponsorship opportunities.  However he has said he is going to compete for Ohio St his last two years.  I think he is focused on winning 2 more NCAA titles along with trying for some team titles with them.  I can certainly understand that decision. 

Most of the sponshorship money will revolve around the next Olympics, with Kyle likely being a apart of that.  So he doesn't stand to lose anything...he just has to differ it a few years.  I am very sure he can wait 2 years and pick any company he wants as long as he is the man.  

FWIW there were a few hundred atta boys on the OSU football sites, and tons of Pro football players and former Buckeyes are all over his accomplishments. With that being the largest group of alumni in the country, by going back to OSU he is only gaining exposure and gaining fans to wrestling. Urban Meyer has become a huge wrestling fan since OSU won the title Kyle's freshman year.  So a smart agent will see Kyle is in a win-win situation no matter where he goes.  

I think its a forgone conclusion he is going to classes this year....when is the next Worlds?  September?  

All this talk about face of wrestling and women, and not one mention of Adeline Gray. Helen definitely had the combination of result, draatic story, and looks to add on, but it is quite sad on how fast the "what have you done for me lately"lately syndrome sets in.

The Olympics are on a different stage than worlds.  The wrestling junkies know Adeline Gray is just as talented as Maroulis, but when USAW tries to sell the sport to the general public (or even casual NCAA fan), all that really matters is the result at the Olympics.  Bill Zadick and Henry Cejudo have the same number of world titles, but Cejudo's was worth 100X more to the general public.  Nobody really cares what Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt do between olympics...Part of what makes the olympics so great and exciting to watch is that it's a once in four year opportunity.  So much rides on one day.  I remember an old flowrestling interview with Terry Brands where he said essentially the same thing:  He may have two world titles, but he failed on the biggest stage to accomplish his dreams.  

Agreed, but from a sporting perspective, I assign no extra value to an Olympic world title over a non-Omympic one. Minus two weight classes, the competition is as intense and the achievement as impressive. There is a huge difference in marketing, but any wrestler who wins a world title is as much a world champion as another who wins an Olympic title.

Agreed, but from a sporting perspective, I assign no extra value to an Olympic world title over a non-Omympic one. Minus two weight classes, the competition is as intense and the achievement as impressive. There is a huge difference in marketing, but any wrestler who wins a world title is as much a world champion as another who wins an Olympic title.

The first worlds after the Olympics is usually a bit watered down, let's not kid ourselves and think that Jake Herbert's silver medal wouldn't have been much more impressive had he accomplished it in 2011 as opposed to 2009.

Edited by Smedley

Speaking of worlds, I wonder what weight class Helen is going to compete on. She is the reigning 55kg champion, but just won Olympics against the biggest name at 53kg. However, from the sound of it seems like 53 is reeeeeeally pushing the limit for her, and wonder if she goes down with 55 kg available. When Yoshida went from 55 kg to 53 kg permanently, she was going down to her natural weight (she was doing 55 because it was an Olympic weight, and often competing underweight in her prime).

Speaking of worlds, I wonder what weight class Helen is going to compete on. She is the reigning 55kg champion, but just won Olympics against the biggest name at 53kg. However, from the sound of it seems like 53 is reeeeeeally pushing the limit for her, and wonder if she goes down with 55 kg available. When Yoshida went from 55 kg to 53 kg permanently, she was going down to her natural weight (she was doing 55 because it was an Olympic weight, and often competing underweight in her prime).

Don't see any reason for Helen to make the cut to 53kg for any of the Worlds during this next Olympic cycle. As to whether or not she bumps up to 58kg goes.... it would be pretty epic if she could knock off Icho. I don't think she could and who know's if Icho is gonna compete in 2020?

I don't know if Icho will retire or not, but unless someone crazy shows up I have a feeling Japan's representative in 58 kg will actually be Risako Kawai.

Kawai's natural weight class is 58 kg, but because she could never beat Icho she bumped up to 63 kg, which then bumped Dosho up to 69 kg. They both continued a five meal a day schedule to gain enough weight to make the requirement.

All this talk about face of wrestling and women, and not one mention of Adeline Gray. Helen definitely had the combination of result, draatic story, and looks to add on, but it is quite sad on how fast the "what have you done for me lately"lately syndrome sets in.

I'm sure Adeline will bounce back, too.

She's been a great face for us for the last several years. The Body Issue spot was very cool too - being the HWT women's wrestler, with all the American connotations and the universal gender connotations surrounding those words. 

I don't foresee anyone dethroning her domestically, and she's only 25.

She and Helen, Kyle and JB - all class acts, all great advocates for the sport, all very attractive all around. 

Edited by denger

Don't see any reason for Helen to make the cut to 53kg for any of the Worlds during this next Olympic cycle. As to whether or not she bumps up to 58kg goes.... it would be pretty epic if she could knock off Icho. I don't think she could and who know's if Icho is gonna compete in 2020?

A Maroulis - Icho matchup would be bananas.  Helen would be elevated to some sort of deity in Japan if she beat both Yoshida and Icho, but the only way that match would happen is if Maroulis bumped all the way up to 58.  I don't think Icho can make the cut to 55.