Sign in to follow this  
crablegs

Is Snyder now the face of USA Wrestling?

Did he take the mantle from Burroughs after this win and JB's DNP?

A world and Olympic championship back to back at his age sure make for a lot of excitement. He also seems like a great young man.

The only reason I say would answer no to this is because he can't get have sponsors behind him. The support of the sponsors pushes JB's popularity, and thanks to the NCAA Snyder can't rise to that level yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torch has been passed to him and Maroulis.  Maroulis may end up with more non wrestling sponsorships before tokyo because of her remarkable win and the storyline of the games being in Japan/the win being against their hero.  Snyder will be good for a very long time, so will also get attention, but is a bit more quiet/reserved.  

JB will stick around as the elder statesman.  If he qualifies for Tokyo/demonstrates an ability to win another WC or two, he will probably be put in the spotlight as well.  People love redemption stories.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

At the risk of sounding somewhat positive here is my take. USA Wrestling should no longer look to just one individual as its "face." Luckily we have Helen and Kyle's great showing. No matter how much of a bummer it is that JB didn't get his gold, he still has a lot of cred.

In less than a year he was a World Champ, NCAA Champ, and Olympic Champ.  Pretty amazing.  

I remember him being on the Askren/TR podcast and they were trying to figure out what Snyder does in his free time and what he does for fun.  Snyder seemed perplexed and simply just says he's always doing something for wrestling.  All day, every day.  Everything in his life is revolved around wrestling.  

No. Burroughs is charismatic, articulate, and still our most accomplished wrestler by a long shot. Him, Snyder and Helen should be a three amigos type of marketing as much as possible. Put them on everything as TEAM USA, not lone wolf of success.

No. Burroughs is charismatic, articulate, and still our most accomplished wrestler by a long shot. Him, Snyder and Helen should be a three amigos type of marketing as much as possible. Put them on everything as TEAM USA, not lone wolf of success.

Burroughs definitely is the Steve Martin par then.  Helen is martin Short?  Chevy and Kyle seems about right tho. 

In less than a year he was a World Champ, NCAA Champ, and Olympic Champ.  Pretty amazing.  

I remember him being on the Askren/TR podcast and they were trying to figure out what Snyder does in his free time and what he does for fun.  Snyder seemed perplexed and simply just says he's always doing something for wrestling.  All day, every day.  Everything in his life is revolved around wrestling.  

He eats f'ing nails for breakfast and drives railroad ties with his bare hands.  And tends to a giant blue ox.  

The more I think about it...maybe he's kind of like Batman.  I mean he'd beat the schit out of and apprehend many a fool.  Snyderman has a spiderman thing going on......he needs a signal.One for Tom Ryan in his best commissioner Gordon.  We need ya Kyle!  Then USA wrestling could have they're own.  See...I should make some commercials for Nike starring Kyle. 

Kyle Snyder is a good guy and sets a positive example for USA Wrestling.  Does he want to shoulder this kind of responsibility, though?  I mean, I know he'll do whatever it takes to be an ambassador for the sport, but JB and Maroulis seem to have the type of personality that thrives in that sort of role whereas it might be more of a learning curve someone who leans more introvert like Snyder.  Another good "face" for wrestling might be J'Den Cox. Just because didn't win gold doesn't mean he can't be a great spokesperson.  It boggles the mind to see how far he has come since March.

If Maroulis is the new face of USA Wrestling, then it is probably a sinking ship. That is appealing to a niche market, within a niche sport. It simply is not going to generate interest in a sport that already has little appeal to the public.

Exactly, because all us wrestling fans love the dick.

If Maroulis is the new face of USA Wrestling, then it is probably a sinking ship. That is appealing to a niche market, within a niche sport. It simply is not going to generate interest in a sport that already has little appeal to the public.

Kind of like that ****ty Gina Carano, and Ronda Rousey market which has crashed and burned MMA in America?

Well, I'm guessing you're speaking for yourself only, but I agree that most people could care less about women's wrestling, including wrestling fans.

You're way off.  

Most people couldn't care less about women's wrestling.    The overwhelming majority in fact.   

Obviously most wrestling fans care more about men's wrestling...We are mainly men who wrestled ourselves and rarely ever saw women wrestle. It's similar in other sports as well.  Personally, I'm the same way.  The only women's matches I watched were some of the finals...and afterwards I check out Adeline Gray's loss.  

However, when it comes to non wrestling fans simply tuning in to watch the olympics, they will be much more interested in Helen Maroulis than anyone on the team outside of Kyle Snyder.  The general American public likes winners/stories about winners. We may know who David Taylor, Kyle Dake, and Brent Metcalf are, we may know that they are elite wrestlers, but in 2020 you will see Maroulis with the Chobani/Ralph Lauren endorsement and on NBC.  I hope she inspires a new wave of women in the U.S. interested in wrestling with the publicity she will get in 2020. 

Obviously most wrestling fans care more about men's wrestling...We are mainly men who wrestled ourselves and rarely ever saw women wrestle. It's similar in other sports as well. Personally, I'm the same way. The only women's matches I watched were some of the finals...and afterwards I check out Adeline Gray's loss.

However, when it comes to non wrestling fans simply tuning in to watch the olympics, they will be much more interested in Helen Maroulis than anyone on the team outside of Kyle Snyder. The general American public likes winners/stories about winners. We may know who David Taylor, Kyle Dake, and Brent Metcalf are, we may know that they are elite wrestlers, but in 2020 you will see Maroulis with the Chobani/Ralph Lauren endorsement and on NBC. I hope she inspires a new wave of women in the U.S. interested in wrestling with the publicity she will get in 2020.

Ya maybes it wont be the chobani commercial curse . And i pray to go ralph lauren doesnt design the singlets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk