Sign in to follow this  
GranbyTroll

I Really Enjoyed the Kyle Snyder at tOSU Era

He has stated himself that he will but he shouldn't. The opportunity to milk an Olympic gold fades exponentially after the first year following the Olympics. Unless he comes from a very wealthy family, I think it will be difficult to ignore the sponsorship money and the brand-building opportunities he will soon have.

That said, if we've learned anything about Snyder, it's that he's a man of his word. He has delivered on just about everything he's said he would do, so who knows.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Easy to say when you didn't have much success in college. Snyder is a NCAA Champ and runner-up on a team competing for a national championship every year. A little more difficult decision then Thielke walking away from Wisconsin. That being said, I'd be nervous if I was a tOSU fan. Lots of incentives for him to end his college career now. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Dear God, why do we have to keep rehashing this?  He is not leaving tOSU until his eligibility is complete.  He doesn't have to not take the money, and apparently he, AND EVERY OTHER NCAA/OLYMPIC MEDALIST, can spend the money as they please.  Right now.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/21/kyle-snyder-gold-medal-bonus-ncaa/89078436/

And yes, his parents have money.  They are doctors. He's fine guys.

Does anyone actually think he'll go back to college wrestling?

Do I think he will? No. I know he will. He will be back wrestling for the Buckeyes in a few months. All this hopeful speculation by fans of opponents is humorous to say the least. 

Dear God, why do we have to keep rehashing this?  He is not leaving tOSU until his eligibility is complete.  He doesn't have to not take the money, and apparently he, AND EVERY OTHER NCAA/OLYMPIC MEDALIST, can spend the money as they please.  Right now.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/21/kyle-snyder-gold-medal-bonus-ncaa/89078436/

And yes, his parents have money.  They are doctors. He's fine guys.

I think we all know he can take the living the dream money. However, I don't think he could take additional endorsement deals (please correct me if I am wrong). He could make a lot of money with a few advertisements and endorsements. Henry Cejudo milked his gold medal and I am sure made some good money out of it. IMO it is silly not to do the same 

He will be a superstar on the campus where football is king.  He won the lotto. 

Exactly, he is a gold medal Olympian going to a college campus for two/three more years. Especially that campus which will bring attention to him/his feat every and any chance they can. He really did win the lotto to say the least. 

What happens if Roselli lands the Oklahoma job, does Snyder follow?  All kidding aside, what else would Snyder do.  TOSU is a great place to get an education and compete and have some fun.  He will be a superstar on the campus where football is king.  He won the lotto. 

Pretty sure Kyle is only staying in C-bus for the tanning beds.  

I HOPE Snyder continues on whatever path he chooses... If he chooses to stay at tOSU and dominate HWT for the next two years, then I'll love watching him wreck all who cross his path.  If he chooses to stick to FS full time, then so be it, and I'll be rooting for him all the way.  

Either way... Imagine this... 

Imagine a world in which Snyder DOES develop a par terre game.  If he can start turning folks, holy bat crapman!  He will immediately become such a devastating monster that Sadulaev would be shaking in his boots... (only if he can do so).  IF he does develop a top game, he would have to be considered for developing a GOAT type of run.

1.) He's only 20

2.) Already BOTH a World Champion AND Olympic Champion

3.) And... with zero par terre game... 

You GOTTA be kidding me!  Can't wait for him to develop that... then... it's world domination, not just winning by a point or two...

He doesn't even turn guys in folkstyle, definitely needs to spend a lot of time on turning. At least guys like Steiber and Taylor knew how to use their hips to tilt already, and the transition to gut wrenching could begin. Snyder almost has to start from scratch. 

I liked Thielke because he straight up said "If I win the Olympics why would I ever go back to folkstyle?"

Thing is Thielke is not very good at folkstyle. Different story with Snyder

Actually, when Thielke was wrestling at 133, he was very good. I believe he placed 4th at Midlands that year- close match with Tyler Graff.  And he was dominant in folkstyle in high school- only one match loss and that to Jake Sueflohn, which he avenged with ease in the state finals. 

Fact is, he quit caring about folkstyle, I'm assuming, when he had to go up to 141 and get out-horsed for seasons on end.

But, he was pretty good at one time.

What happens if Roselli lands the Oklahoma job, does Snyder follow?  All kidding aside, what else would Snyder do.  TOSU is a great place to get an education and compete and have some fun.  He will be a superstar on the campus where football is king.  He won the lotto. 

That's pretty cool. 

Snyder could also do just as much, if not more, for Ohio State wrestling by not suiting up this year than he could by competing. Options are good.

Guest Kingsland

You all are overestimating the endorsement opportunities for wrestling. Nike and UnderArmour won't be beating down his door.

No, but he has essentially guranteed himself a shoe deal. Although I have no idea how much money wrestlers usually make off those.

I find it hard to believe that Tom Ryan would go through with scheduling an Ohio State home dual against Maryland at Kyle Snyder's High School (a half-hour from College Park, and a six hour drive from Columbus), and then Kyle Snyder would turn around and say, nah, actually, I'm not going to wrestle this year for the Bucks...I just don't see that happening.