Sign in to follow this  
newyorkwrestler

ganzorig

Also, a few years ago at World's, Ganzorig lost a real heartbreaker to Lopez (CUB) on a very questionable call at the buzzer.  

Yes, I understand why many are upset at that last point called against Ganzorig, but if he didn't double flex his biceps and somewhat taunt his opponent, with time still on the clock, he probably would have won. Celebrated too early.

Wrestle the full 6 minutes, then celebrate.

it was stupid of Ganzorig to celebrate early but that was not worth calling a 'fleeing the hold' and taking his medal away and giving it to the guy he just beat in an epic match. 

so many good matches and all people are going to remember are the Mongolian coaches (who were greatly entertaining, don't get me wrong) and the Gomez screw job. 

Again, point well taken. Didn't have to call it.

But, flex your biceps, grimace at your opponent, and run away, all while the clock is still ticking, in a 1 point match? Asking for trouble. 

Edited by 2td3nf

Again, point well taken. Didn't have to call it.

But, flex your biceps, grimace at your opponent, and run away, all while the clock is still ticking, in a 1 point match? Asking for trouble.

Ya i agree 100% ive seen it the other way around where its never called at all. Dont do it with 7 seconds left. Do it 8 seconds later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did boxing get dropped when the Korean(?) athlete years ago refuse to leave the ring forever after what he thought was an unfavorable outcome for him?

is anyone worried about swimming getting dropped because of a false police report?

seriously folks, quit worrying about wrestling getting dropped because of some coaches not liking the rule applied to their wrestler...

oachWrestling, on 21 Aug 2016 - 3:47 PM, said:snapback.png

What did you guys think of the fleeing the hold call?

The fleeing call was absolutely the right call.  This is similar to what happened in the Garret/Ramos match @ OTT except the last 5 seconds here were much more obvious.  The ref is suppose to call passive if one wrestler is not "presenting himself" to wrestle and the Mongolian obviously wasn't.  In the last 30 seconds the passive call has to be a point as there is no option to put him on the clock. My understanding of the rules is that the awarding of the point has to be unanimous (ref and both mat judges)  In all the commotion I don't know if the Mongolians actually determined if it was unanimous or not.

in the video, the ref made the call and looked at the chair and the judge for confirmation before awarding the point... all before time ran out...

anyone complaining about this call is not interested in the values of a rule set, fair play, or what we hold so dear about what wrestling is supposed to teach us...

a lifetime of hard work should not be lost over celebrating it 2 seconds early. its an olympic medal for god sakes, he has the right to be happy. i hope he does not become depressed. and i hope he keeps wrestling, other than ramonov he is my fav non american at the weight.

All Mongolians who were watching felt the pain. Mandakhnaran Ganzorig is a genuinely nice human being.

All the Mongolian Twitter feeds are talking about his good deeds outside of the mat and his hard work. He wrestled his heart out there and gave his all today

He donated his whole house and made it a daycare center for poor children in his town. He pays 5 people's salaries out his pocket. He was in the military and has rank of Captain

Here are some links with photos

https://twitter.com/DambaaG/status/767537810060357632

http://www.mod.gov.mn/index.php?com=news&id=884

His prize money for a medal would have helped him; but most of all, it hurts to see his last Olympics go down like this 

Also, a few years ago at World's, Ganzorig lost a real heartbreaker to Lopez (CUB) on a very questionable call at the buzzer.  

Yes, I understand why many are upset at that last point called against Ganzorig, but if he didn't double flex his biceps and somewhat taunt his opponent, with time still on the clock, he probably would have won. Celebrated too early.

Wrestle the full 6 minutes, then celebrate.

This. He also thought he'd won at the last second

i have a feeling it's going to take a little while to get that smile back on his face. man, that was a tough way to lose a bronze medal in the Olympics.

and if that's his girlfriend or wife, she is an extremely pretty Mongolian. 

Ganzorig was dumb, but that call should not have been made. The refs were desperately trying to get Navruzov a medal the whole tournament and probably got paid because of their gifting him a bronze. 

guys technically flee the hold way worse than that all the time and it's never called. it was Ganzorig's celebrating that gave them an excuse to give Navruzov a point. 

The Gomez robbery was far worse but this was still a bad call. 

Just to add my $0.02 (since everyone cares about my opinion here)

1) The blatant match fixing for Navruzov against Gomez in the quarters makes this loss hard to take at face value

2) Ganzorig did flee the hold for the last 5 seconds, obviously.

3) Even if it isn't match fixing, the ref should never make this call inside of 5:50 because it doesn't give the now losing wrestler a chance to earn it back. Making this call is the officiating crew literally taking the match into their own hands, which I completely disagree with.