TBar1977

Junior Worlds

TBar, I would say a betting man should bet on those three to win gold but I wouldn't bet a lot. I might take even odds that at least one of the three wins a gold, but would need better money to bet on two of the three. Juniors are incredibly competitive. The number of guys who go from junior worlds medalist (not even Gold!) to world medalist or world champ soon after is very high. When you look at the resumes of the guys who won worlds this year many of them were junior world medalists not too long ago. 

TBar, I would say a betting man should bet on those three to win gold but I wouldn't bet a lot. I might take even odds that at least one of the three wins a gold, but would need better money to bet on two of the three. Juniors are incredibly competitive. The number of guys who go from junior worlds medalist (not even Gold!) to world medalist or world champ soon after is very high. When you look at the resumes of the guys who won worlds this year many of them were junior world medalists not too long ago. 

Just look at Yazdani at 74kg.  He teched Pico several years ago in the Jr World Finals, gets silver last year at the World Championships and now the Olympic champion.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. All that potential will diminish with 4+ years of college wrestling. Go TeamUSA!

Yep, that college wrestling sure seemed to hurt our medalists this year.

Just look at Yazdani at 74kg. He teched Pico several years ago in the Jr World Finals, gets silver last year at the World Championships and now the Olympic champion.

And our very own Olympic champ Kyle Frederick Snyder

I think Lee should have a pretty good chance to repeat.  It's hard to make an educated guess on the others without knowing the field better.  I know the Iranians have the guy back @ Zahid weight who won last year and beat ZV badly in NYC last spring.  The way Hall is wrestling I would think he has a shot.

I think Lee should have a pretty good chance to repeat.  It's hard to make an educated guess on the others without knowing the field better.  I know the Iranians have the guy back @ Zahid weight who won last year and beat ZV badly in NYC last spring.  The way Hall is wrestling I would think he has a shot.

For those of us not as familiar with his international results, what has Hall done since his loss at juniors last year?  Obviously he was a 1st year junior, so not medaling wasn't a huge upset..I'm just wondering if he has wrestled internationally since and picked up wins over defending junior medalists?

Lee will roll with no problems... not only is he a freak, he will be huge for the weight...

if Fix doesn't get another of the worse fleeing the hold calls of all time, he will be a threat...

Hall is a hard one to call after his performance at worlds last year...

Valencia as well...

Seth gross is a stud, but, have no feel for how he stacks up on the international scene... same with wood

fully expect Bey to smash kill destroy in greco...

I thought Hall was competing at Uni Worlds instead of Juniors - or is he doing both?

Not long ago, someone posted up side-by-side lineups of the USA Junior and University teams.  I seem to remember folks saying that our Uni lineup might have a better chance at winning, but I might be mistaken. 

Anyway, I think expectations are high for Spencer Lee.  Didn't Daton Fix also win a medal at cadets last year? What about Z.Valencia?  I'm not familiar.

fix took bronze last year at cadet's after getting a horrible fleeing the hold call against the russian with about 15 seconds left... since then he has really changed up his style in an effort to never let the ref decide a match for him again... as should all wrestlers...

Zahid did not come close to medaling last year at juniors 

Hall's performance at worlds last year wasn't all that bad. He lost a close one to Peter Nagy, he gave up a last second point and looked kind of deer in the headlights. I think he won't let that happen again. I am optimistic he medals. I have no idea about gold. But in terms of his international competitions, I don't know if he went overseas at all. But he did wrestling in the last chance Olympic trials qualifier and at the Olympic trials which certainly gave him some freestyle experience at a higher level. Apparently he also trained a lot with the big boys.