TBar1977

Junior Worlds

moose riders, I hear

Elk will do. My latest rant was suggesting that for Canada to be lumped into the Flo Pro PPV market for this event, perhaps they could care about/cover/promote the Canadian market instead of just taking our money. I was told $19.99 (more if you convert) was simply worth it. I don't disagree but I'm not sure if they realize that the 8 guys in Canada who would normally watch the event already have Flo Pro.

Edited by 49northwrestling

Elk will do. My latest rant was suggesting that for Canada to be lumped into the Flo Pro PPV market for this event, perhaps they could care about/cover/promote the Canadian market instead of just taking our money. I was told $19.99 (more if you convert) was simply worth it. I don't disagree but I'm not sure if they realize that the 8 guys in Canada who would normally watch the event already have Flo Pro.

I haven't tried it, but if you spoof your geolocation to say somewhere in Europe you might be able to view the live feed from the UWW site.

I haven't tried it, but if you spoof your geolocation to say somewhere in Europe you might be able to view the live feed from the UWW site.

This is generally how Canadians have got around crappy Canadian content for years. I have Flo Pro. I love Flo Pro. The issue is 95% of our wrestling population, don't know (or care) who Cary Kolat is, just like how 95% of the American wrestling population doesn't know (or care) who Chris Wilson is. I would simply like to see the Canadian side of the sport have more worth than a few bucks funnelling down to Texas. Flo is a business and I respect that. I consume their product. But to include only one other country under the pay wall and ignore it otherwise isn't a great way to garner the support of a market known for doing things in a way just to show how not American they are.

This is generally how Canadians have got around crappy Canadian content for years. I have Flo Pro. I love Flo Pro. The issue is 95% of our wrestling population, don't know (or care) who Cary Kolat is, just like how 95% of the American wrestling population doesn't know (or care) who Chris Wilson is. I would simply like to see the Canadian side of the sport have more worth than a few bucks funnelling down to Texas. Flo is a business and I respect that. I consume their product. But to include only one other country under the pay wall and ignore it otherwise isn't a great way to garner the support of a market known for doing things in a way just to show how not American they are.

Stay strong.

i mean, that's like saying 'buying Flo Pro to watch Fargo isn't worth it because i'm from Oregon and they didn't do specific features on Oregon wrestlers'.

and even if we did do canadian-specific (or russian-specific or iran-specific) written content for JR Worlds, it would be free, in which case the flo pro thing wouldn't matter anyway.

we will be doing free previews, and canadian medal contenders will be mentioned.

i mean, that's like saying 'buying Flo Pro to watch Fargo isn't worth it because i'm from Oregon and they didn't do specific features on Oregon wrestlers'.

and even if we did do canadian-specific (or russian-specific or iran-specific) written content for JR Worlds, it would be free, in which case the flo pro thing wouldn't matter anyway.

we will be doing free previews, and canadian medal contenders will be mentioned.

Interesting scenario, but the Canadian complaint does have merit. What happens if a Canuck faces a US wrestler. Are you going to provide an unbiased commentary of the match?

It isn't just about features, but free features actually might justify the Canadian market to subscribe to the service. It shows the site has interest in the people outside their home market. The tournament is being streamed worldwide regardless, but if I'm understanding it correctly, we are the only paying country outside the US? If I'm paying $20 to watch in Canada, I don't necessary want to listen to a commentator who is calling it for the American before the match even begins. Heck, I'd settle for knowing the wrestlers (and how to pronounce their names) of the paying markets.

so you're leery of signing up because you're 1) worried about biased commentary and 2) aren't sure if we will pronounce names right?

that's not what you wrote initially, but anyway...

can't quite decipher what this means:

I would simply like to see the Canadian side of the sport have more worth than a few bucks funnelling down to Texas.

But to include only one other country under the pay wall and ignore it otherwise isn't a great way to garner the support of a market known for doing things in a way just to show how not American they are.

Edited by Husker_Du

49, they can't really put too much emphasis on projects that will only appeal to a small subset of their subscriber base.  However, a flo doc on Daniel Igali would be a great one for everyone to watch.  His story is more interesting than practically anyone they've covered.  Not sure how feasible that would be though.  

Also, 49.  Doesn't them having a paywall for Canada with limited Canadian content make your website more popular?  If you start to go and stream tournaments, build up a subscriber base, and demonstrate that there is a market in Canada, maybe they will buy you out or offer some type of merged product?  They've already built the blueprint for what you need to do.  

so you're leery of signing up because you're 1) worried about biased commentary and 2) aren't sure if we will pronounce names right?

Huh? I have Flo Pro. I have for a long time. I'm leery of signing up (as a casual observer or parent) because they'll use the service one day (the day my child/friend competes, no one will be up at 2 am watching Greco here) and we don't have value attached to wrestling in Canada as of yet, even domestically. People complained when they had to pay $10 for 3 days of our Olympic Trials. There is tremendous value with Flo Pro, if you are American and/or care about that content. You're simply assuming the markets and customers are the same, but they are not. I'm worried that Canada will be the only country forced to pay for webcasts and get nothing out of it above and beyond what people are getting for free in Italy (for example).   

49, they can't really put too much emphasis on projects that will only appeal to a small subset of their subscriber base.  However, a flo doc on Daniel Igali would be a great one for everyone to watch.  His story is more interesting than practically anyone they've covered.  Not sure how feasible that would be though.  

Also, 49.  Doesn't them having a paywall for Canada with limited Canadian content make your website more popular?  If you start to go and stream tournaments, build up a subscriber base, and demonstrate that there is a market in Canada, maybe they will buy you out or offer some type of merged product?  They've already built the blueprint for what you need to do.  

Buy out what? I'm not a company. Everything I do is volunteer basis with little to no technical experience. I have a full time job in wrestling administration. I would love nothing more than someone with the know-how and experience to come in and webcast every tournament well so I don't have to. I don't have the resources and I'm not good at it. I started filming tournaments because no one else would. I have no desire to make that part of the sport my full-time gig. I would go mental. I enjoy talking about the sport, promoting the athletes and taking photos. The other video-related stuff is quickly turning my hair grey.

Huh? I have Flo Pro. I have for a long time. I'm leery of signing up (as a casual observer or parent) because they'll use the service one day (the day my child/friend competes, no one will be up at 2 am watching Greco here) and we don't have value attached to wrestling in Canada as of yet, even domestically. People complained when they had to pay $10 for 3 days of our Olympic Trials. There is tremendous value with Flo Pro, if you are American and/or care about that content. You're simply assuming the markets and customers are the same, but they are not. I'm worried that Canada will be the only country forced to pay for webcasts and get nothing out of it above and beyond what people are getting for free in Italy (for example).   

gotcha. that makes sense. although i didn't 'assume the markets' were the same. and still not sure what 'show how not american' thing meant.

i will say though, that for canadian fans, if they sign up for 1 month, they can get JR Worlds and Cadets for $20. and we had both Pan Ams.

i know we don't have much, if any, canadian archives or docs, but same goes for Little Timmy's grandma that wants to watch her grandson compete in the one tournament he wrestles in that flo has this year. 

gotcha. that makes sense. although i didn't 'assume the markets' were the same. and still not sure what 'show how not american' thing meant.

i will say though, that for canadian fans, if they sign up for 1 month, they can get JR Worlds and Cadets for $20. and we had both Pan Ams.

i know we don't have much, if any, canadian archives or docs, but same goes for Little Timmy's grandma that wants to watch her grandson compete in the one tournament he wrestles in that flo has this year. 

The "not American" thing simply meant that if the Canadian market feels pressured or alienated, they won't always support the American product, even if it's the only show in town. That's where the commentary and such comes into play. If I pay $20 to watch Amar Dhesi and the commentator is calling him "Amar Fezzy" and talking up his opponent while he's being steam-rolled (somewhat dated real world example), I'm not inclined to throw more money into the product, especially if most of the world is getting it for free.

Hall Lee and Fix should medal.

Zahid and Pantellio have a shot too.

Gross and Moore seem like big underdogs, but who knows. Moore has been in the room with Snyser and Tervel, so he knows what elite wrestling feels like. Tom Ryan has made miracles happen before wth young guys.

Gross is a great wrestler but he doesn't seem like he is on the same tier as most of the team. His scrambles are solid though so he def has a chance at medaling.

The "not American" thing simply meant that if the Canadian market feels pressured or alienated, they won't always support the American product, even if it's the only show in town. That's where the commentary and such comes into play. If I pay $20 to watch Amar Dhesi and the commentator is calling him "Amar Fezzy" and talking up his opponent while he's being steam-rolled (somewhat dated real world example), I'm not inclined to throw more money into the product, especially if most of the world is getting it for free.

you're all over the place. you start with one point and when refuted, move on to another.

the latest - Dhesi pronounced incorrectly - was because he was literally entered in the tournament as 'Phesi'. and it was one of the first times he had ever wrestled in america. not all our guys knew him. so i'll save you the suspense - if you think we're going to pronounce every name right at an international tournament, we're not. and it has nothing to do with bias, but rather, familiarity. hell, i still slip up with 'Brascetta' and 'Assad'.

and as far as 'pressured or alienated' i have no idea what you mean. who is applying pressure to canadians to sign up for flo pro? 

lol.

it's not a big thing. you either want to watch your wrestlers live at 2 international tournaments for $20 or you don't. but i promise you there's no anti-canadian bias. that's just silly.

if we had the rights in Russia, or Italy, or Poland or Iran would their fans say the same thing?

and why didn't you complain during pan ams?